Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney crack

Options
  • 01-09-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

We are selling our house. It's a terraced, concrete built, former council house from the 1950s. We're sale agreed.

The survey noted a small stain on the ceiling by the chimney breast in an upstairs room (been there for years and has never spread but maybe we should have pained over it?). Following on from the survey the buyer asked to have a 'builder' inspect the chimney from the attic. A person came by, took a picture of the chimney from the back garden, and determined that the whole chimney needs to be taken down to below roof level and rebuilt. There was no inspection from inside the chimney or even from the attic. But I can see that there is a crack visible in the render. To me it looks narrow (not gaping) and only about a foot long.

Now the interesting part! Since the 'builder' determined the whole thing needs to be rebuilt we have become aware that he is actually the husband of the buyer. We are suspicious that this is all a ruse to get the price reduced. What do you think? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

We are selling our house. It's a terraced, concrete built, former council house from the 1950s. We're sale agreed.

The survey noted a small stain on the ceiling by the chimney breast in an upstairs room (been there for years and has never spread but maybe we should have pained over it?). Following on from the survey the buyer asked to have a 'builder' inspect the chimney from the attic. A person came by, took a picture of the chimney from the back garden, and determined that the whole chimney needs to be taken down to below roof level and rebuilt. There was no inspection from inside the chimney or even from the attic. But I can see that there is a crack visible in the render. To me it looks narrow (not gaping) and only about a foot long.

Now the interesting part! Since the 'builder' determined the whole thing needs to be rebuilt we have become aware that he is actually the husband of the buyer. We are suspicious that this is all a ruse to get the price reduced. What do you think? Thanks

Get a recognized chartered surveyor to do a detailed study of the property,
    Any faults will show up.
    Show this to any prospective buyer.
    IMO this is as you say grandstanding from the buyer to try and reduce the price.
    its a bit like a builder tut tutting and stroking his chin and shaking his head as he prices for work in a house
    All part of the game

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What do you think?

I'd ask if they'd like to withdraw their offer so I can get back to the underbidder.

We recently bought a 1950's council house with a crack in the chimney. We were told that it can be a sign of subsidence in a new house, but with an old house it's just age/settling. A drive up and down the street was all it took to see that every house on the street was the same, and sure none of them have fallen down in that time.

We needed to replace the felt on the roof anyway after we moved in, and when the roofer came round he offered to throw in fixing the crack for very little extra. Took very little time and definitely didn't seem like a big deal. We had been worried as well that the neighbour's side of the chimney also had a crack, and he said it really isn't anything to worry about.

If the buyer is trying to drive the price down, that shouldn't be of any concern to you - stick to your guns and get a different buyer if they're not willing to pay what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

brisan wrote: »
    Get a recognized chartered surveyor to do a detailed study of the property,
    Any faults will show up.
    Show this to any prospective buyer.
    IMO this is as you say grandstanding from the buyer to try and reduce the price.
    its a bit like a builder tut tutting and stroking his chin and shaking his head as he prices for work in a house
    All part of the game

Only do this if you had no other interested parties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

brisan wrote:
    Get a recognized chartered surveyor to do a detailed study of the property, Any faults will show up. Show this to any prospective buyer.

Alkers wrote:
    Only do this if you had no other interested parties

I wouldn't waste the money to be honest, as a buyer you want your own survey carried out by an engineer of your choosing. Not suggesting any chartered surveyor would edit their report to suit a seller, but as a buyer I would be thinking it is hardly an impartial report if it was paid for by the person trying to sell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement