Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete back yard

Options
  • 01-09-2020 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi - am going to put a concrete slab at the back of the house, approx 7.3 x 15.5m. Some questions if i may;
    1. What thickness slab should i be going with? As its at the back, i don't foresee heavy traffic - we will be driving our cars onto it. Currently i have sraped off the existing loose pebbles, leaving about 75mm to the top of the foot path. As its already well compacted, would that influence the concrete thickness?
    2. How many expansion joints should i go with? Should i just break the 15.5m into three with joints?
    3. Should i fit the plastic expansion joint type or cut the joint in afterwards?
    4. Planning on installing drain channel at the perimeter - an recommendations/guidelines on how to fit this?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what % of grass for drainage is left?
    where will the water from slab drain to?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

what % of grass for drainage is left?
    where will the water from slab drain to?

Lucky that i have a drain that i can tap into, so am not worried about drainage.

Lucky that i have a drain that i can tap into, so am not worried about drainage.

what sort of drain, surface water or foul?

what sort of drain, surface water or foul?

Surface

Hi - am going to put a concrete slab at the back of the house, approx 7.3 x 15.5m. Some questions if i may;
    1. What thickness slab should i be going with? As its at the back, i don't foresee heavy traffic - we will be driving our cars onto it. Currently i have sraped off the existing loose pebbles, leaving about 75mm to the top of the foot path. As its already well compacted, would that influence the concrete thickness?
    2. How many expansion joints should i go with? Should i just break the 15.5m into three with joints?
    3. Should i fit the plastic expansion joint type or cut the joint in afterwards?
    4. Planning on installing drain channel at the perimeter - an recommendations/guidelines on how to fit this?
    Cheers

Is that a typo

If not then you will need a decent slab, minimum 100 mm on say 150 crushed stone.
    When you say well compacted what is compacted?

• Advertisement

Is that a typo

If not then you will need a decent slab, minimum 100 mm on say 150 crushed stone.
    When you say well compacted what is compacted?

Yeah, id want to be able to drive our cars over it. Currently there is compacted gravel there - see pic. Having issue with existing drain, so putting in new drainage.
    Plan is to have eco drain at the lawn side, slab sloping out to it.

Nice dumper truck!
    gravel looks very dirty
    Rather than concrete what about using the honey comb mesh with gravel on it
    like this
    https://www.geo-coastal.ie/products-services/miscellaneous/gravel-paving/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhb36BRCfARIsAKcXh6FRIvyl8WGZldST4zwd2ApeVsfZ8at93R2n8gDpBucCa1XGzoXBiDIaAiOlEALw_wcB
    It might be a bit pricey but a lot less work and heartache.

Nice dumper truck!
    gravel looks very dirty
    Rather than concrete what about using the honey comb mesh with gravel on it
    like this
    https://www.geo-coastal.ie/products-services/miscellaneous/gravel-paving/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhb36BRCfARIsAKcXh6FRIvyl8WGZldST4zwd2ApeVsfZ8at93R2n8gDpBucCa1XGzoXBiDIaAiOlEALw_wcB
    It might be a bit pricey but a lot less work and heartache.

Ha - serious gear here!
    No, needs to be concrete - thanks for your feebback

Advertisement