Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet service provider - Limerick

• 01-09-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for broadband only service and wondering whats the fastest broadband available in Limerick city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Hi all,

I am looking for broadband only service and wondering whats the fastest broadband available in Limerick city?

1Gigabit FTTH from SIRO marketed by Digiweb, Sky, Vodafone and others
    Check SIRO availability here https://siro.ie/
    1Gigabit FTTH from Virgin Media

I have 1Gb Broadband only from Vodafone on SIRO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

And check the installation costs for SIRO. Some do it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you.

It seems SIRO is unavailable in my area. It's a new estate in Rhebogue and they are not recognising the address.

Alternatively, is the Three Broadband using their sim and router any good? It's 30 euros a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thank you.

It seems SIRO is unavailable in my area. It's a new estate in Rhebogue and they are not recognising the address.

Alternatively, is the Three Broadband using their sim and router any good? It's 30 euros a month.

It depends on your mobile reception in the location where you'll place the router. If you get a good 4g signal then you'll get good enough speeds although will be prone to network congestion as the 3 network is very busy because it's used by a lot of virtual operators (virgin mobile, tesco mobile, etc).

Have you checked Virgin Media? They are trying to build their network as new estates are developed so you could have availability. Good network but price increases every year are annoying.

I haven't checked Virgin Media yet due to high prices but will do now. We can ofcourse cancel it once the contract is over.
    John_Mc wrote: »
    It depends on your mobile reception in the location where you'll place the router. If you get a good 4g signal then you'll get good enough speeds although will be prone to network congestion as the 3 network is very busy because it's used by a lot of virtual operators (virgin mobile, tesco mobile, etc).

Have you checked Virgin Media? They are trying to build their network as new estates are developed so you could have availability. Good network but price increases every year are annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I haven't checked Virgin Media yet due to high prices but will do now. We can ofcourse cancel it once the contract is over.

You will find it hard to beat €30 a month for broadband and 3 might be more than adequate for your needs. You might struggle at peak times streaming 4k on Netflix or you might not.

One way of boosting reception would be to mount a 4G aerial on your roof and connect to the router

Thank you for this precious advice. I am going to look into this now.
    John_Mc wrote: »
    You will find it hard to beat €30 a month for broadband and 3 might be more than adequate for your needs. You might struggle at peak times streaming 4k on Netflix or you might not.

One way of boosting reception would be to mount a 4G aerial on your roof and connect to the router

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

We had Virgin Media when we were in Dublin and Annacotty - customer service was woeful but the broadband excellent.

We've have siro with Vodafone in our new house in Monaleen, whilst the broadband is good, it continuously kicks my phone (a Vodafone Samsung S9) off the WiFi which drives me up the walls.

Broadband packages are now about 50 euro + landline rental if contracts outside of the promotional period. If you're getting broadband, make sure there's no landline rental as this is how they justify most of the annual increases.

I would like to clarify is the SIRO from Vodafone a dongle based Internet? i.e. doesn't require cable and engineer visit.
    We had Virgin Media when we were in Dublin and Annacotty - customer service was woeful but the broadband excellent.

We've have siro with Vodafone in our new house in Monaleen, whilst the broadband is good, it continuously kicks my phone (a Vodafone Samsung S9) off the WiFi which drives me up the walls.

Broadband packages are now about 50 euro + landline rental if contracts outside of the promotional period. If you're getting broadband, make sure there's no landline rental as this is how they justify most of the annual increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

I would like to clarify is the SIRO from Vodafone a dongle based Internet? i.e. doesn't require cable and engineer visit.

Its wired, had to get an engineer out because the people in the house before us physically took the box from the wall when they're only meant to take the modem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement