Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a motorbike ..... at 50

Options
  • 02-09-2020 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I've never ridden one before, but I'm thinking of getting one next year when I turn 50. If I do I plan to get an old one, ride the hell out of it, and then when I've got the experience and confidence, I'll get a decent one. (I like the look of the Kawasaki z900 rs). I'm 6 foot one and weigh about 96kg. So I reckon I'd need a 500 cc bike or thereabouts for a beginner bike.
    Does anybody have any advice? Or horror stories?!
    My reasons owning one would be purely for pleasure.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My neighbor has 2 and I drool everytime I see them .... I'm 44 and know if I bought one I wouldnt even make it to 50 ....

I'm a keen cyclist and fallen off twice in last 3 years..... if anything I should probably put stabilizers on my bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

500cc is a lot of bike for never having ridden before. Do the initial basic training on a school bike and get some experience. Might be ok with the z500. My first bike was a 125cc and I'd never sat on one before. You can still do a lot of damage to yourself on one of those with no experience. Next bike was 60 and was a scary jump initially. But went from that to a 1200cc. Get yourself some training first on something like a bros 400 or similar from a good school /instructor and you'll be fine. Safe riding and go for it. You'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

Make up your mind, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114491655 "So I am FINALLY taking the plunge and learning how to drive, I'll be 50 when I get my license. If I get a 1.4 litre motor for say 3 grand. What can I expect to pay for insurance? The car will be based in Mayo Cheers". Or have you given up on a car??

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eamoc

500cc is a lot of bike for never having ridden before. Do the initial basic training on a school bike and get some experience. Might be ok with the z500. My first bike was a 125cc and I'd never sat on one before. You can still do a lot of damage to yourself on one of those with no experience. Next bike was 60 and was a scary jump initially. But went from that to a 1200cc. Get yourself some training first on something like a bros 400 or similar from a good school /instructor and you'll be fine. Safe riding and go for it. You'll love it.
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking 500 cc on account of my height/weight. I have NO intention of being reckless on it. Its purely for pleasure, riding around Mayo/Connemara etc. I'll definitely be taking training lessons from an authorized centre. I would also anticipate spending maybe 2 years on my first one, so that I could mess with it (i.e. drop it!) with no guilt etc. I'm just thinking that if i get a 125 or 250, I might get bored with it, and if I then went for a high end bike I would be freaked out by its power etc.
    Have you had any knocks accidents or injuries on one? what are you thoughts on safety etc?
    E.

con747 wrote: »
    Make up your mind, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114491655 "So I am FINALLY taking the plunge and learning how to drive, I'll be 50 when I get my license. If I get a 1.4 litre motor for say 3 grand. What can I expect to pay for insurance? The car will be based in Mayo Cheers". Or have you given up on a car??
    That's what i'm trying to do. The car post is just out of curiosity. It seems like a stressful process getting up and running with a car, but its safer. Ideally I'd prefer to be on a bike. Having cycled around Dublin for years, I thinks its an easier solution

• Advertisement

eamoc wrote: »
    That's what i'm trying to do. The car post is just out of curiosity. It seems like a stressful process getting up and running with a car, but its safer. Ideally I'd prefer to be on a bike. Having cycled around Dublin for years, I thinks its an easier solution

Motorbike licences are a lot different now, so you won't be able to just buy a big bike and off you go i'm afraid.
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Licence-categories-explained/

Motorbike licences are a lot different now, so you won't be able to just buy a big bike and off you go i'm afraid.
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Licence-categories-explained/
    This I know. I need to do the required IBT, but as I'm over 24, I wont need a limiter, although I'd have no problem having one fitted, if it helped me get used to it...

This I know. I need to do the required IBT, but as I'm over 24, I wont need a limiter, although I'd have no problem having one fitted, if it helped me get used to it...

I was just reading up on the laws there, by god have they changed since my last bike in the 80's!! I am sure some people here will advise up to date information. I would still air on the side of caution with a 250cc - 500cc or simililar to begin with as you will be very surprised just how fast acceleration and top speed is.

I was just reading up on the laws there, by god have they changed since my last bike in the 80's!! I am sure some people here will advise up to date information. I would still air on the side of caution with a 250cc - 500cc or simililar to begin with as you will be very surprised just how fast acceleration and top speed is.
    I'm very risk averse when it comes to getting 'up to speed', as it were...I'm just sounding out the most sensible way of going about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

If you've never ridden before, your first step is to pass your theory test. Once you pass that, you can apply for your learner permit (licence). Then book your Initial Biker Training (IBT) which is typically 16 or so hours of training, usually done in two days, with an authorised trainer. At that point, you can buy and ride a bike that doesn't exceed a specific power to weight ratio.

If you want to do it, go for it. But go in eyes wide open that it is a risky activity, you will need to be super switched on all the time and if an accident happens, you'll almost certainly be coming out of it the worst. On the other hand, it's a fantastic activity to do, it's a wonderful way to commute a lot of the time, and it's a very freeing and dynamic experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

If you've never ridden before, your first step is to pass your theory test. Then book your Initial Biker Training (IBT) which is typically 16 or so hours of training, usually done in two days, with an authorised trainer. Once you pass that, you can apply for your learner permit (licence). At that point, you can buy and ride a bike that doesn't exceed a specific power to weight ratio.

If you want to do it, go for it. But go in eyes wide open that it is a risky activity, you will need to be super switched on all the time and if an accident happens, you'll almost certainly be coming out of it the worst. On the other hand, it's a fantastic activity to do, it's a wonderful way to commute a lot of the time, and it's a very freeing and dynamic experience.

Good advice but you need to have the learner permit in hand BEFORE undertaking IBT as you'll need to present to the IBT instructor. So theory test ->learner permit -> IBT -> 6 months on the road experience ->can take the test

Nothing stopping you setting up IBT while waiting for learner permit just be sure you'll have it before the IBT date. Good luck & enjoy!

Good advice but you need to have the learner permit in hand BEFORE undertaking IBT as you'll need to present to the IBT instructor. So theory test ->learner permit -> IBT -> 6 months on the road experience ->can take the test

Nothing stopping you setting up IBT while waiting for learner permit just be sure you'll have it before the IBT date. Good luck & enjoy!

Good catch, my mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

I would focus on power output rather than cc's. My Interceptor 650 has only 47bhp and is (deliberately) learner-legal. So while it has a bit of heft it's still civilised and you are less likely to give yourself a nasty surprise.

You won't get an old Interceptor for a while -- 2019 was its first year -- but it is not overpriced new, so you'd never know, you might get a decent deal, although it is definitely not for everyone.

I'm sure there are other reasonable capacity bikes with restrained power among the more conventional brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I rounded a bend last week on a country road in my car to be met with a motorcyclist struggling to keep his bike inside the white line. He wasn't going fast so he was clearly inexperienced, and luckily I wasn't going fast either. The look he gave me as he just made it past my wing mirror was of a man who just realised there's more to riding a motorbike than sitting up and hitting the ignition key!

I rounded a bend lastthis week on a country road on my bike to be met with a motorist struggling not bothering to keep his bike inside the white line. He wasn'twas going fast so he was clearly inexperienced or just plain reckless, and but luckily I wasn't going fast either. The look he gave me as he I just made it past my his wing mirror was of a man who just realised there's more to riding a motorbike than sitting up and hitting the ignition key!didn't give a sh1t.[/QUOTE]

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I rounded a bend last week on a country road in my car to be met with a motorcyclist struggling to keep his bike inside the white line. He wasn't going fast so he was clearly inexperienced, and luckily I wasn't going fast either. The look he gave me as he just made it past my wing mirror was of a man who just realised there's more to riding a motorbike than sitting up and hitting the ignition key!

I remember being that biker a few weeks into it. The absolute fear of finding yourself on the other side of the road with a car coming toward you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Breezin wrote: »
    I would focus on power output rather than cc's. My Interceptor 650 has only 47bhp and is (deliberately) learner-legal. So while it has a bit of heft it's still civilised and you are less likely to give yourself a nasty surprise.

You won't get an old Interceptor for a while -- 2019 was its first year -- but it is not overpriced new, so you'd never know, you might get a decent deal, although it is definitely not for everyone.

I'm sure there are other reasonable capacity bikes with restrained power among the more conventional brands.

This!

You would be mad not to go for the A license as you meet the criteria and won't be limited in future.

with the A license you're looking for a bike that meets the min power output for your test. I did my test on a Suzuki SV650s and that just made the power output. the SV650 is a sheep in wolves clothing. Many smaller bikes faster than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

I've never ridden one before, but I'm thinking of getting one next year when I turn 50. If I do I plan to get an old one, ride the hell out of it, and then when I've got the experience and confidence, I'll get a decent one. (I like the look of the Kawasaki z900 rs). I'm 6 foot one and weigh about 96kg. So I reckon I'd need a 500 cc bike or thereabouts for a beginner bike.
    Does anybody have any advice? Or horror stories?!
    My reasons owning one would be purely for pleasure.

Cheers

Well i dont think youd be able to get any type of sports bike on a new licence,i tried get quotes on an R6 an was refused.nobody would touch me because i iust got me licence,an i was late 30's.so had to go for something else.so i went for a vstrom DL650.great bike,comfortable too.ride for hours on it without getting sore. Im 6ft 1,@15st.
    You should look at the DL650 OR DL1000, OR the varadero 1000 or simular.cheap too for insurance.principal insurance is who im with since i got my licence.few of them are bikers themselves.

Just make sure to go at your own pace as first timerr,since i got back on bikes 5yrs ago ive lost count of the amount of cars that nearly killed me.

Enjoy (thumbs up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Fair play for getting interested in getting a bike. I know there's a lot of hoops to jump through now compared to when i got mine back in 1991 but it will be worth it. Nothing beats throwing your gear on and heading off for a few hours of solitude on the bike. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

My first bike was and is a yamaha fzs600. Great starter bike for me (was 34 at time) and I'm only now starting to 'grow out' of it after 3 years and 24000miles. Very reliable machine, apart from the rear caliper which you need to clean every now and again.

Do it- get an A licence and then pick whatever bike you like. Advice I'd add would be to have good all weather gear. Goretex or equivalent and armoured clothing. Don't assume you know anything about motorbikes because you have years cycling /driving experience. Total different method of manouvreing/accelerating /braking

Good YouTube channel for beginners is Roadcraft Nottingham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Breezin wrote: »
    I rounded a bend lastthis week on a country road on my bike to be met with a motorist struggling not bothering to keep his bike inside the white line. He wasn'twas going fast so he was clearly inexperienced or just plain reckless, and but luckily I wasn't going fast either. The look he gave me as he I just made it past my his wing mirror was of a man who just realised there's more to riding a motorbike than sitting up and hitting the ignition key!didn't give a sh1t.
    [/quote]

Ive been on the other side myself so I hear ya. I wasn't complaining about the biker in question, at least he was going slow, he just didnt have the skills to handle the corner. I've had bikes since I was 16, mainly off road back then, but I don't know would I like to be getting on one and hitting the open road for the the first time at 50. A biker training course would be a must at the least I'd say.

Ive been on the other side myself so I hear ya. I wasn't complaining about the biker in question, at least he was going slow, he just didnt have the skills to handle the corner. I've had bikes since I was 16, mainly off road back then, but I don't know would I like to be getting on one and hitting the open road for the the first time at 50. A biker training course would be a must at the least I'd say.

Wasn't disagreeing with you. :D Just making the point that no matter how careful you are there will always be other people who will be dangerously careless. You are never in full control.

A big part of the reality is the scores of people you will meet on the wrong side of the road, on their phones, or who simply couldn't give a toss about your safety. We all have those stories.

I've gone round corners too fast too! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'd normally say to go for the A and get a 600+, such as the CBF600 which is a goof forgiving learner bike with plenty to grow into too. But with no car license either... hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

With no driving experience at all I would go for something like a CB300 or something similarly low powered. When I first got my licence (90's) everyone learned on 100-125cc bikes and I don't think that was such a bad thing. As someone else suggested after getting your license do as much additional training as you can as the roads can be very unforgiving when you make a mistake. Take it easy and more importantly ...enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

My dad’s mid 50s and he’s after getting back into bikes after a 20 year hiatus so he is pretty much starting from scratch.

He’s riding a Pan European (1300cc Sport Tourer) and he picked up insurance with no hassle from Carol Nash. He’s loving it.

Go for it an enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Also bear in mind that when you do your compulsory IBT (Training) you will be riding a 600cc+ bike.

People saying 500cc is too big for a learner must not know this!

Also bear in mind that when you do your compulsory IBT (Training) you will be riding a 600cc+ bike.

People saying 500cc is too big for a learner must not know this!

There's a fierce amount of fear about bike engine size here. I really don't see an issue with a learner on anything up to a standard 600. If you're going to act the maggot or make stupid mistakes, you'll do it on a 125 too. And if you're smart and respectful of the power and risk of a bike, it won't matter a huge amount how big the engine is.

I do get that physically larger bikes aren't as easily handled, plus bigger engined bikes require a little more subtlety in control. But they're not the monsters some make them out to be... we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I know someone who went directy to a 1400cc Harley.

Not that I recommend doing this but this idea that you must start very small is wrong imo. You must start with a huge amount of respect for the device between your legs but this is similar to saying that you shouldn't start with a big car. You just need to respect the machine and also be very aware of your limitations and behave accordingly . As others have said, you can do as much harm to yourself or others with a 300/500/600 as on a 1000cc machine (for the most part anyway).

Only real advantage to starting small is that the machine is generally a little lighter as even a 300cc feels huge when you sit on it for the first time but this again is a question with a different answer for each person.

I'd say, get your learner licence, test out a few bikes starting small and go from there. I realise that this is against what "common wisdom" suggests however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Its purely for pleasure, riding around Mayo/Connemara etc. I'll definitely be taking training lessons from an authorized centre. ........... I'm just thinking that if i get a 125 or 250, I might get bored with it, and if I then went for a high end bike I would be freaked out by its power etc.
    Have you had any knocks accidents or injuries on one? what are you thoughts on safety etc?
    E.
    I have had a 50, 125, 175, 500, 1250.
    Last year I came back to motorcycles after a 35 year gap, and got motorcycle lessons.
    I have a full licence, about ten years riding experience commuting, also travelling between Mayo and Dublin at weekends for a few years.
    It is worrying you say you would get bored with a 125 or 250. Down at the 100cc level is where you get your experience, preferably on boring, underpowered four strokes.
    I have been all over Mayo, out to Belmullet, down to Galway through Westport and Leenaun, out to Achill.
    Once I had a close call taking a corner in rural Mayo. The road was resurfaced and half way through the corner was a ten yard wash of chippings, no problem to a car, lethal to a motorbike.
    And there were a few other moments, part and parcel of travelling on the smaller country roads.
    My advice is to get the smaller bike, a single cylinder or two cylinder four stroke.
    A cousin of mine had a small bike, and was keen on a bigger bike. He got it, and his pillion passenger was killed in an accident.

Ok, those isolated incidents may not happen to you, but when you come off your bike, and you will, you need to survive it.
    Lessons are fine, but experience is also needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I'm 40, got my first bike a year ago. Bought 370cc bike to start with. After 8 months I moved to a SV650. Should have started on the SV650 tbh. Very easy to handle and enough power to do me for a good while. Would not be concerned at all about starting on that or similar. As someone said above, you can easily snot yourself on any bike if you're not careful. Keep doing lessons / looking for additional training. Best money I spent was on i2imca course. Probably going to do a mondello track training day later this month. Getting instruction and focusing on improving skills will help you stay safe and enjoy riding not just getting a slightly smaller cc bike.

Advertisement