Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a motorbike ..... at 50

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Down at the 100cc level is where you get your experience, preferably on boring, underpowered four strokes.

But that's objectively not true. You get your experience on the bike you drive, not exclusively ones which are 100cc level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

But that's objectively not true. You get your experience on the bike you drive, not exclusively ones which are 100cc level.
    Yes, of course you are correct. You get experience on the vehicle you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Think I came closer to getting creamed off my old mans honda 50 than I ever did on the GSX
    After I sold the bike and got a car the ould fella wanted to borrow the car and left me the 50 to get home on

Stopped at the junction and when the lights went green I stuck it in gear and it went off in a wheelie with me running along behind it holding the bars through a busy junction for about 20 yards :-)
    Frighted the be jesus out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

It is worrying you say you would get bored with a 125 or 250. Down at the 100cc level is where you get your experience, preferably on boring, underpowered four strokes.

I completely and vehemently disagree with this. I started on bikes when I was 20 with an A2 license. I was 6’4 and roughly 100KG at the time.. I started on a Honda 125cc.

It was the most dangerous 2 months of my life before I moved up to a Bandit 600. My God the thing couldn’t keep up with traffic, struggled on any size of a hill, was too light in cross winds, too much rebound for my weight in the suspension etc. etc.

It would have completely turned me off motorcycles if I didn’t so quickly replace it with the 600cc. I had the Bandit for 2 years and then went with a CBR600 for another few years and passed my test on that. I’m now on an CBR1100XX.

Maybe the smaller bikes suit the smaller gentlemen a bit better and they can get a bit more out of them but in my opinion it was an absolute waste of 2 months and a bit of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

I'm new to bikes also, I would say that whatever you start on will be a new experience and only with practice you will become more confident. I am on a CBF 600 and find it great. Fairly tame over all. The biggest thing I find it moving it when off the bike still getting used to the weight. Once you move all the weight goes away. Just my thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 eamoc

Breezin wrote: »
    I would focus on power output rather than cc's. My Interceptor 650 has only 47bhp and is (deliberately) learner-legal. So while it has a bit of heft it's still civilised and you are less likely to give yourself a nasty surprise.

You won't get an old Interceptor for a while -- 2019 was its first year -- but it is not overpriced new, so you'd never know, you might get a decent deal, although it is definitely not for everyone.

I'm sure there are other reasonable capacity bikes with restrained power among the more conventional brands.
    Good call, I'll be discussing this on the IBT course

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    This!

You would be mad not to go for the A license as you meet the criteria and won't be limited in future.

with the A license you're looking for a bike that meets the min power output for your test. I did my test on a Suzuki SV650s and that just made the power output. the SV650 is a sheep in wolves clothing. Many smaller bikes faster than it.
    Yes, I've seen the SV650, and am indeed interested it in it, but the interceptor looks cool!

I completely and vehemently disagree with this. I started on bikes when I was 20 with an A2 license. I was 6’4 and roughly 100KG at the time.. I started on a Honda 125cc.

It was the most dangerous 2 months of my life before I moved up to a Bandit 600. My God the thing couldn’t keep up with traffic, struggled on any size of a hill, was too light in cross winds, too much rebound for my weight in the suspension etc. etc.

It would have completely turned me off motorcycles if I didn’t so quickly replace it with the 600cc. I had the Bandit for 2 years and then went with a CBR600 for another few years and passed my test on that. I’m now on an CBR1100XX.

Maybe the smaller bikes suit the smaller gentlemen a bit better and they can get a bit more out of them but in my opinion it was an absolute waste of 2 months and a bit of money!
    This is exactly what I think. I know push bikes are no real comparison, BUT I would not go near the city on a piece of crap, because it does notprovide me with any confidence. I always used a Specialized bike, so that I could negotiate the traffic with ease and confidence, accelerate away from traffic lights quickly and easily etc.
    W.r.t motorbikes, I wouldn't want to be on a hair dryer, that does 0-30 mph in like 60 seconds!!

Shanzze wrote: »
    I'm new to bikes also, I would say that whatever you start on will be a new experience and only with practice you will become more confident. I am on a CBF 600 and find it great. Fairly tame over all. The biggest thing I find it moving it when off the bike still getting used to the weight. Once you move all the weight goes away. Just my thoughts.
    Nice one, best of luck with it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Shanzze wrote: »
    The biggest thing I find it moving it when off the bike still getting used to the weight. Once you move all the weight goes away. Just my thoughts.

If you have a chance to focus on slow speed handling, improving those skills will not only make the bike feel light when at standstill, but it will also have a significant, positive impact on smooth machine control at higher speeds. Command of slow speed is harder than fast because it requires developing a delicate core body stability that can sense the gentlest signals given by your bike. It is also a key to understanding how the bike behaves in general. I am still learning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, what bike you start on is often tempered by what your insurer will quote you...........

That said, I think a 300 - 500 is more than ample to start off with. Not too small, has the presence of a bigger big to others, but small enough to the novice rider (turning it, picking it up............), and the power mild enough to allow you to learn to ride confidently.

My son has a 125 and it's lethal: it's just too slow to be safe on our roads.

The 300 - 500 will aslo be easy to sell on afterwards - always new people looking for them !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

When everybody used to go round on 100's and 125's years ago trucks and vans could barely go from 0-40mph in a minute, while the little stroker would scarper away. Different story now they could sit on the back wheel of a 125 until they're relegated to the gutter.
    I think the XJ6, Fazer 6, Bandit 6 are perfect for starting out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

eamoc wrote: »
    I've never ridden one before, but I'm thinking of getting one next year when I turn 50. If I do I plan to get an old one, ride the hell out of it, and then when I've got the experience and confidence, I'll get a decent one. (I like the look of the Kawasaki z900 rs). I'm 6 foot one and weigh about 96kg. So I reckon I'd need a 500 cc bike or thereabouts for a beginner bike.
    Does anybody have any advice? Or horror stories?!
    My reasons owning one would be purely for pleasure.

Cheers

I'm the same age and had bikes since my early twenties. Had a break between 30 and 40 roughly, but got one 10 years ago again. Nothing crazy a 500cc enduro and I wouldnt clock a lot of miles either but love the fact I have it. Such fun in the summer to nip around town or in the area. She's a classic and I love working on it too.

Never fell and never had a crash. My dad was a driving instructor and one thing stayed with me since those days.

Never do a careless or crazy or even complacent thing and always expect anything and everything from everyone, never let your guard down.

Thats not saying never open up and don't have fun but be on the watch at all times.

Enjoy it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I wonder how many people who have been around a while have driven newer 125's? Having graduated from one to a 500cc I have to say I never felt a danger to myself or anybody else on the 125cc. While it was objectively slowly than my 500cc it didn't feel slow when I was on it. Id say it was quicker to 100km/h than my VW Up.

Ah sure running down a steep hill would get you to 100km/h quicker than a VW UP. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I wonder how many people who have been around a while have driven newer 125's? Having graduated from one to a 500cc I have to say I never felt a danger to myself or anybody else on the 125cc. While it was objectively slowly than my 500cc it didn't feel slow when I was on it. Id say it was quicker to 100km/h than my VW Up.

So does a modern 125, say a yb125 feel a lot more powerful than a 30 year old gs 125? I didn't think they were even trying to make them quicker , to suit different countries laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Well a Suzuki GSX-125 has 15bhp at around 10k rpm, with a DOHC engine. A 30 year old one has 11bhp at 8k. Since we are ignoring advances in rubber,suspension, braking i'd say thats still a decent difference.

Was the older GS restricted for the UK's 12bhp limit I wonder :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

In my considerable considered opinion of which I value highly, you should start with a bike that has exactly 268cc and a power to weight ratio of what'sit . Also bhp of precisely 24.
    This will keep up your 6ft + 96kg with de traffic.
    Alternatively get a 20+bhp 250cc that can do 80mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Someone in their 50s is well able for 600+ A. Lets be realistic about this. Should the 20 year old dreamers coming on here get a CBR600, IMHO, no; but a 50 year old is well able to manage and learn on a sensible 600. Recommending 125s and 250s to a 6ft+, mature beginner is daft IMO.

The best advice I can give you is to forget the "which bike conundrum" for now, get your A license, do the IBT and see where you stand then. A lot of people gravitate towards buying the same model bike they did the IBT on.

zubair wrote: »
    Someone in their 50s is well able for 600+ A. Lets be realistic about this. Should the 20 year old dreamers coming on here get a CBR600, IMHO, no; but a 50 year old is well able to manage and learn on a sensible 600. Recommending 125s and 250s to a 6ft+, mature beginner is daft IMO.

The best advice I can give you is to forget the "which bike conundrum" for now, get your A license, do the IBT and see where you stand then. A lot of people gravitate towards buying the same model bike they did the IBT on.

Some real world sense, at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

So does a modern 125, say a yb125 feel a lot more powerful than a 30 year old gs 125? I didn't think they were even trying to make them quicker , to suit different countries laws.

Sorry for going ever so slightly off topic, but I just got a Lidl chainsaw that has a bigger engine than the borrowed Yamaha 50 I briefly rode back in the 80s. :eek:

More likely to get into trouble with the chainsaw I think.

• Advertisement

Can't agree.

Advocating a 140mph, prone-positioned sports bike to a learner of any age is whats daft.

Anyone can go 'fast'. Its going 'slow that takes skill....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Mid life crises
    Get lessons first
    You want to make it to 51

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

Eamoc,

I rode bikes from age 17-25 (125cc, 250 and 350cc) went back at age 32 and rode 750cc, 900cc and 1100cc
    I had a 18 year gap and went back to bikes 2 years ago on 750cc and now on 1000cc. I had to go back to beginning, Theory, Permit and IBT.

My advice would be ride with an experienced friend once you have IBT done as you will learn a lot from an experienced rider. With a bit of experience you will be well able for a 600+ cc bike.

Hope this helps and best of luck with it.

Dan

galwaytt wrote: »
    Can't agree.

Advocating a 140mph, prone-positioned sports bike to a learner of any age is whats daft.

Who recommended a sports bike... get' em!

Can't agree.

140mph... Does it start at that speed?

Or does it, perhaps, just maybe, remain in the control of the driver how quick it goes?

Good call, although I'm drifting toward the Suzuki SV650 tbh

Can't agree.

Or does it, perhaps, just maybe, remain in the control of the driver how quick it goes?

I'll be looking for a naked bike, seated upright :-)

Good bike, but the cbf600 is better :=)

Excellent choice btw. After years away, from bikes, my SO went back on one: great bike, and good value too.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And I don't think there was ever a model of CBR600 that could "only" do 140MPH :P

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement