Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging problems

Options
  • 02-09-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

Have a no-name Chinese phone -- well, OK, a Cubot X19 -- and it seems to be getting more and more finnicky about charging. I'm guessing it's either very dirty contacts, or a subtly damaged internal connector (USB-C). I hesitate to take it to the menders only for them to laugh their heads off at a bt of lint and charge me €50+ for the privilege. Anyone have any tips for working out which it's more likely to be?

And if and when I decide which theory to go with, any recommendations for phone repair in Cork city area, and where to best source a small quantity of electrical contact cleaner? Such as isopropyl alcohol, or whatever a reasonable substitute might be. Without my local pharmacist indulging in even more lavish profit-taking than the other lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭corks finest

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Have a no-name Chinese phone -- well, OK, a Cubot X19 -- and it seems to be getting more and more finnicky about charging. I'm guessing it's either very dirty contacts, or a subtly damaged internal connector (USB-C). I hesitate to take it to the menders only for them to laugh their heads off at a bt of lint and charge me €50+ for the privilege. Anyone have any tips for working out which it's more likely to be?

And if and when I decide which theory to go with, any recommendations for phone repair in Cork city area, and where to best source a small quantity of electrical contact cleaner? Such as isopropyl alcohol, or whatever a reasonable substitute might be. Without my local pharmacist indulging in even more lavish profit-taking than the other lot!

Get a can of compressed air ( wrong terminology:: stuff that you blast your pc with to remove dust etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Get a can of compressed air ( wrong terminology:: stuff that you blast your pc with to remove dust etc)

For alcohol you could always just get a minibar sized bottle in the off licence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

JH_raheny wrote: »
    For alcohol you could always just get a minibar sized bottle in the off licence
    Oh, believe me, I'm not short of 40% ethanol in my household! :o Not a good substitute, is my understanding, too much water, and too many 'impurities'. (Tasty as those are in their proper application.)

Advertisement