Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metronidazole intolerance. Are there alternatives?

Options
  • 02-09-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

I was taking metronidazole for a gum infection, I took 7, 400 mg tablets in total but I can’t tolerate them, I have 5 left.

I have taken amoxicillin before and that made me sick as well. So the dentist has told me to stop taking the metronidazole and use a mouth wash.

Is that okay? I didn’t think it was okay to stop these treatments without a new course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I was taking metronidazole for a gum infection, I took 7, 400 mg tablets in total but I can’t tolerate them, I have 5 left.

I have taken amoxicillin before and that made me sick as well. So the dentist has told me to stop taking the metronidazole and use a mouth wash.

Is that okay? I didn’t think it was okay to stop these treatments without a new course?

Metronidazole is a rough antibiotic alright, especially if you take any alcohol with it. Its not ideal to stop a course midway, but the amoxicillin is broad enough to likely prevent any major issues.

Advertisement