Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Printer driver.

Options
  • 02-09-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I recently purchased a HP printer which was installed and is now working perfectly, however, I now want to install the same printer onto another older PC which has no internet connection, the only problem is I have lost the installation disc that came with the printer, can I copy the driver from my first PC onto a USB memory stick and install it onto the older PC? (as you can probably guess I am not really computer savvy)

Many thanks in advance!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Are you connecting the printer to the older computer via cable? e.g. removing it from the computer where it was installed and moving it physically to the other one?

The simplest solution would be to look up the printer model on the Internet, download the driver to a USB stick, and use that on the older computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Hi JoyPad. That's what I thought, the only problem is that I am really not sure how to downlead it onto a USB stick, hence, my initial post
    "I am not really computer savvy" sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You are savvy enough to post on these forums, so you're not far off. You don't need to look for an expert, e.g. the nine year old next door.

You open the HP support website, and input the name of the printer in that box, then click the button to search. If there are multiple results, you will be presented with a list, and you need to pick the best matching name.

For example, I typed Laserjet 200, and I found my exact model, the M251.

In the product support page, you will see the "Driver-Product Installation Software", and a Download link.

If you have Windows 10, when you insert a USB stick in your computer, a window should pop-up to ask you what to do with it. It will also tell you the letter of the drive (for example, D: ), and you should remember that. Simply select the option to show you the drive contents. Here's a short video about how to use a USB stick on Windows 10.

After you have that, go back to the HP website, right-click the Download link, choose Save As... and point to the USB stick (.e.g. D: or whatever you saw above). Then click Save, and the drivers should be copied to the USB stick.

Next step is to eject the stick from the computer, see the video above for instructions on how to do that. After that, you can unplug the stick and take it over to the other computer.

After you plug in the stick, find the downloaded file with the Explorer, and launch it to install the software.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You can plug computer into router or modem or download driver to usb memory stick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Black Bart wrote: »
    can I copy the driver from my first PC onto a USB memory stick and install it onto the older PC? (as you can probably guess I am not really computer savvy)
    As JoyPad rolled, with minor note: HP site will most likely will read OS you are running on newer PC and, by default, will suggests you driver for that (Guess Win10) OS. There might be drop down list of OS's or link and it might have different drivers - select appropriate one
    [IMG]https://www.b oards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=525405&stc=1&d=1599332684[/IMG]

• Advertisement
Advertisement