Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions Cup 2020/2021 General Thread

Comments

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116724766&postcount=331

I love Bargain Alerts! :)

Offer posted for Now TV's Sport Extra pack which includes BT Sport. 3 months for €30 and that's your European rugby viewing sorted.
    You can split it with someone else too as you can watch on two devices simultaneously. I just got it there now.

When I go to sign up I see a 17euro p/m deal and when I go through the motions I don't see anywhere to enter a code, how did you sign up?

Edit - seems you have to be signed in, but I can't sign in because I don't have an account, and to get an account it looks like you need to pay something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

When I go to sign up I see a 17euro p/m deal and when I go through the motions I don't see anywhere to enter a code, how did you sign up?

Edit - seems you have to be signed in, but I can't sign in because I don't have an account, and to get an account it looks like you need to pay something.

No, you can register for an account before you pay anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's a bit awkward alright.

My Account > Manage Account > NOW Membership > Enter that code when prompted > You pay €30 up front for a three month period (Don't forget to cancel before the end of that period!)

That worked for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's a bit awkward alright.

My Account > Manage Account > NOW Membership > Enter that code when prompted > You pay €30 up front for a three month period (Don't forget to cancel before the end of that period!)

That worked for me!

Quick tip, you can cancel straight away if you don't want to take the risk as you'll still have access til the end of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Ludikrus

Will there be highlights or delayed coverage of the games on anywhere?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

VM Two, Sunday 11:05pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

At least this is clarified going forward

https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status/1376895291958394882

yerrahbah wrote: »
    At least this is clarified going forward

https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status/1376895291958394882

Am not mad on the closed door aspect to part 2 there.

Am not mad on the closed door aspect to part 2 there.

what alternative is there? there's no room in the calendar for any game to be rescheduled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

what alternative is there? there's no room in the calendar for any game to be rescheduled.

Coin toss on live TV.??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Once they entered the fray it was always on the cards

Cardiff are saying that the SA teams will have to prise their Champions Cup place from their cold, dead hands, and are well within their rights to do so.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-fight-moves-ditch-20285432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cardiff are saying that the SA teams will have to prise their Champions Cup place from their cold, dead hands, and are well within their rights to do so.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-fight-moves-ditch-20285432

Yeah it'd be an absolutely bananas decision to expand the CC to include them at the cost of a team who has already qualified through the tournament that's concluded. Changing the qualification criteria after the fact is just piss poor planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They're dead right, too.

At least establish and publish some of the criteria impacting the decision if just one team were to progress. Prob not enough time now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭scott1974

Offer posted for Now TV's Sport Extra pack which includes BT Sport. 3 months for €30 and that's your European rugby viewing sorted.
    You can split it with someone else too as you can watch on two devices simultaneously. I just got it there now.

Has anyone used the "Day Membership" option on Now TV?
    Is it a one off option or can you use it a few times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was under the impression the Welsh regions were already cold and dead as regards competitiveness in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

scott1974 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the "Day Membership" option on Now TV?
    Is it a one off option or can you use it a few times?

Yeah, you can buy it as many times as you like, but it's the least cost-effective way to do it unless you literally want it for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

The European finals are no longer set for Marseille this year, the venue(s) are yet to be decided.

Marseille to now the venue for the 2022 final, with London being the venue for the 2023 final

I bought my tickets for Marseille in May 2019 :eek:

https://twitter.com/ChampionsCup/status/1377259911869034502

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

Yeah it'd be an absolutely bananas decision to expand the CC to include them at the cost of a team who has already qualified through the tournament that's concluded. Changing the qualification criteria after the fact is just piss poor planning.

I think the issue is that nothing is agreed for next years CC, neither the number of teams from each league nor number of teams in overall CC

Top 3 places in each conference would get a spot typically, along with 6 from England and France, with extra spots for the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup winners if we had 20 spots

It was only this years truncated format that gave 8 spots per league.

Cardiff have no basis for claiming that they've qualified for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I heard on the Ruck Rugby podcast there on Monday that Italy have been offered the Champions Cup final on numerous occasions and turned it down. Anyone think of any reason why? I know it’s a different stadium but the finals seem to be always either in London or Cardiff. Even Stade de France hasn’t held it since 2010 IIRC. Was good to have it in Bilbao, but why don’t they try and push it into say Portugal, Germany or dare I say Russia. All developing smaller rugby nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

I heard on the Ruck Rugby podcast there on Monday that Italy have been offered the Champions Cup final on numerous occasions and turned it down. Anyone think of any reason why? I know it’s a different stadium but the finals seem to be always either in London or Cardiff. Even Stade de France hasn’t held it since 2010 IIRC. Was good to have it in Bilbao, but why don’t they try and push it into say Portugal, Germany or dare I say Russia. All developing smaller rugby nations.

I was hoping it might go to Amsterdam some say the home of Heineken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You need to find venues that want to host it, unions to back the bid for hosting.

Maybe if you get more sides competing from these countries even in challenge cup it may help with getting them to bid to host the finals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Legion2008 wrote: »
    I think the issue is that nothing is agreed for next years CC, neither the number of teams from each league nor number of teams in overall CC

Top 3 places in each conference would get a spot typically, along with 6 from England and France, with extra spots for the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup winners if we had 20 spots

It was only this years truncated format that gave 8 spots per league.

Cardiff have no basis for claiming that they've qualified for anything.

Their point is they are going to refuse to give up a slot to an S.A. team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Milan was due to hold the HEC final before the whole EPCR fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Their point is they are going to refuse to give up a slot to an S.A. team.

They bitch so much about Europe being set against them, that everyone benefits except them ...it would be nice to see it actually be true for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Personally I'd rather see the South African sides involved than the Welsh teams putting in half arsed performances and maybe turning up for a game against their beloved Premiership rivals.

That said you can't change the rules after the event.

I'm all for the SA sides competing in Europe, but start from 2022/23, not next season. Let them earn the right...Im sure a couple of their teams will manage to qualify without much difficulty.

I probably wouldn't put them in immediately either. Ideally you'd give them one season in the Proxx first, acclimatise to the travel and new season and make them try to qualify for Europe like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Darn, I missed out on this by one day. Picked it up half price at 17 per month for 3 months.
    I got this offer back in 2019 so I thought I might have to juggle cards. But there's no penalty for dipping back in.

Darn, I missed out on this by one day. Picked it up half price at 17 per month for 3 months.
    I got this offer back in 2019 so I thought I might have to juggle cards. But there's no penalty for dipping back in.

There's always an offer in some form. Once you keep an eye on the website, there's never a need to pay full whack.

I expect this offer is to get money upfront before some inevitably cancel once the Premier League is over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The STB app is your only man...even with the IPTV costs it works out about €60 a year for all the various sports channels and entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The STB app is your only man...even with the IPTV costs it works out about €60 a year for all the various sports channels and entertainment.

Yeah but you're stealing, and not supporting the sport you're watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Leinster get a walk over so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it's been called off now. Walkover given

Another weeks break before their next game... when your luck is in and all that

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That clermont back line !! *** drool ****

and 3 international replacements on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Toulon not happy.
    Saying the positive case was Wednesday, they’ve had none since

And EPCr told them to travel

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Toulon not happy.

... because the EPRC medical board had yet to meet to discuss of the game could go ahead safely... and on foot of the that the Games resolution board had to meet to discuss the possibility of a postponement.

a positive test doesnt automatically mean a walkover

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ... because the EPRC medical board had yet to meet to discuss of the game could go ahead safely... and on foot of the that the Games resolution board had to meet to discuss the possibility of a postponement.

If it's true though it does seem really stupid.

Under what circumstances would the medical board have let the game go ahead, if 0 further positive cases was not sufficient?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

sydthebeat wrote: »

They were told to travel once all positives were returned on Thursday Friday.
    Then they get told Friday morning “actually nope the game is off Cheerio” walkover to Leinster sorry

It’s a shambles

Think it's that once there has been a positive result that player could have infected others who may currently not yet be showing as positive. Maybe it's still being worked out of no statement from EPCR yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think it's that once there has been a positive result that player could have infected others who may currently not yet be showing as positive. Maybe it's still being worked out of no statement from EPCR yet.

They've released this..

Just saw. Seems they're still going with forfeiting game if they're saying outcome of fixture.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Toulon not happy.

Christ, if that's true the optics are horrific.... the EPCr have potentially put dozens of people at risk in airports hotel etc...not a good look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Leinster gone through to the QF due to Toulon been unable to field a team due to Covid

Hoping for a Munster win tomorrow but we have to be at are very best. So many great memories of HC knockout games in thomond and please god tomorrow will be another one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Christ, if that's true the optics are horrific.... the EPCr have potentially put dozens of people at risk in airports hotel etc...not a good look

**** show...whats the bet they wanted the game to go ahead for commercial reasons and the health aspect came second in their thoughts....

Cardiff are morons.

They get a penalty advantage with three minutes left, in front of LI's posts. It's 34-32 on the scoreboard. They kick the free DG instead of taking the penalty and running a minute off the clock.

LI have enough time to respond and score a winning try. Hopeless clock management by Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Agree. Run down the clock and take the pen. Game over. A DG was a stupid option.

Cracking game though. Better than Leinster would have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Cardiff are morons.

They get a penalty advantage with three minutes left, in front of LI's posts. It's 34-32 on the scoreboard. They kick the free DG instead of taking the penalty and running a minute off the clock.

LI have enough time to respond and score a winning try. Hopeless clock management by Cardiff.

Delighted LI got that - the BT commentators were rooting for Cardiff who were so stupid against 13/14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dai Young is a decent coach, but I don't think he has the raw materials at Cardiff to make them a decent side. They've some very good players, but the squad as a whole is mediocre

• Advertisement
Advertisement