Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions Cup 2020/2021 General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Gloucester have ruined The Shed with those advertisements :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

May really should have scored there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Belter of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Accidental offside is utter nonsense there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Belter of a game.

Great game so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Johnny May is having a stinker so far

That's a costly missed touch for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

AdamD wrote: »
    Accidental offside is utter nonsense there

He kicked the ball into a guy in front of him. It was an accident. I'm a little lost.

It's an unfortunate incident but it's always given when spotted.

Johnny May is having a stinker so far

He has looked vulnerable in defence and is certainly off in attack. A year ago, he'd have taken that cross field kick at full tilt and gone round under the posts. The two kicks ahead when put into space have been terrible.

They're missing LRZ. They're getting the ball wide repeatedly but making little of it.

Buer wrote: »
    He kicked the ball into a guy in front of him. It was an accident. I'm a little lost.

It's an unfortunate incident but it's always given when spotted.
    At that minor a contact it happens 10 times a game and is never called

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    At that minor a contact it happens 10 times a game and is never called

Rarely spotted, in fairness. When it's spotted during a TMO review because of a suspected knock on, they can't ignore it. Very unlucky but it was fairly clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lá Rochelle are lovely on the eye. Wonderful off loading and yet.... Scrum? Lineout? Thought?
    Gloucester are....... Crap. Only 2 points in it at half time so a glimmer of hope for them.

You'd love to play Gloucester in the next round. La Rochelle not so much.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

atkinson at 12 for gloucester is quite handy

OldRio wrote: »
    Lá Rochelle are lovely on the eye. Wonderful off loading and yet.... Scrum? Lineout? Thought?
    Gloucester are....... Crap. Only 2 points in it at half time so a glimmer of hope for them.

You'd love to play Gloucester in the next round. La Rochelle not so much.

Not so sure. La Rochelle are very good in attack at running a hard line with support. They're punching holes and Gloucester are poor defensively. Yet, I think the scoreline isn't too far off.

La Rochelle are making a fair few errors themselves. They can also be relieved they don't have to deal with a French referee as they'd have 3 or 4 penalties against them in the scrum at this point.

I think La Rochelle are gonna pull away shortly though given the bench they have. Gloucester have had opportunities and wasted them which they cannot afford to do.

La Rochelle have their chance now.

Taking a kick up a man in that position?
    I hate it.

Am I right in saying RoG is the head coach in LAR? And the job isn’t shared with Gibbs?

Not for the first time I have noticed that BT announce that a sub is made by Gibbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Some of Lá Rochelle off loading is quite simply stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Here we go with the high shot wheel of fortune! I wonder how that one's explained in the framework? He's unlucky but his body position looked almost identical to Aki's to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

How has Brace determined the Glaws player was trying to make a legal tackle when he led with his shoulder

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Am I right in saying RoG is the head coach in LAR? And the job isn’t shared with Gibbs?

Not for the first time I have noticed that BT announce that a sub is made by Gibbs

Gibbes is the head man. ROG, for obvious reasons, gets the coverage in Irish media.

ROG is the Lancaster to Gibbes' Cullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There is absolutely zero consistency when it comes to head contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

That's puzzling. I thought they reffed on outcome. It was a shoulder to the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    How has Brace determined the Glaws player was trying to make a legal tackle when he led with his shoulder

I can't believe Brace interpreted it that way. Bad decision

That was worse than the red in the Not Nots game IMO

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Here we go with the high shot wheel of fortune! I wonder how that one's explained in the framework? He's very unlucky but his body position looked almost identical to Aki's to me

The carrier was falling directly into him due to the tackle of a third player. I'm surprised at no sanction but it was not comparable to the Aki incident at all where it was two players on their feet colliding.

I'd have said red card mitigated to yellow due to the sudden drop. Barton clearly moved forward to initiate contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It was Pen and YC

Vito being tackled is reasonable mitigation

Gibbes is the head man. ROG, for obvious reasons, gets the coverage in Irish media.

ROG is the Lancaster to Gibbes' Cullen.

Cheers. Was JG brought in over RoG? I think he was there first ( I may be wrong)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Cheers. Was JG brought in over RoG? I think he was there first ( I may be wrong)

You are. Gibbs brought in ROG. He was there a year when he brought him in.

I can't believe Brace interpreted it that way. Bad decision

Thought it was a great decision.

Not every head contact can be foul play.

If you think it is then youre opening a huge can of worms as regards game play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

sydthebeat wrote: »

I think if you go into a tackle, dip yourself and take a shoulder to the head it's fair enough.

If you are tackled and then take a shoulder to the head then you should get a penalty.

I get your take but I'd say that because Barton stepped into it, he needs to be aware of what's happening. It was forceful head contact. Unlike Porter last week, he clearly made a hit on the player but the sudden drop dictated the point of contact. I think there should have been a sanction just not red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Raymond Rhule has gotten huge, I remember him as quite a small winger from his time at the Cheetahs. Was also an atrocious defender, can't believe he's playing centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Do neither side want to win this?

Did La Rochelle rest players? Plisson and Aldrid off the bench

I think if you go into a tackle, dip yourself and take a shoulder to the head it's fair enough.

If you are tackled and then take a shoulder to the head then you should get a penalty.

Penalties are not awarded to ball carriers, they're awarded against defenders

So you agree. If you take a shoulder to the head through no fault of your own then you get a penalty

So you agree. If you take a shoulder to the head through no fault of your own then you get a penalty

??

You didn't read my post did you.

I'll repeat.

Penalties are not awarded TO ball carriers.

They are awarded AGAINST defenders.

Penalties are awarded to ball carriers,s
    ??

Penalties are not awarded TO ball carriers.

d

You could be clearer on what your point is

You could be clearer on what your point is

You don't get penalties on what you think you deserve as a ball carrier

Edit: typo in my first post

• Advertisement

The carrier was falling directly into him due to the tackle of a third player. I'm surprised at no sanction but it was not comparable to the Aki incident at all where it was two players on their feet colliding.

I'd have said red card mitigated to yellow due to the sudden drop. Barton clearly moved forward to initiate contact.

I wasn't trying to compare it to the Aki incident really, just his body position which was nearly identical. And as was pointed out at the time, if you go into a tackle in that position it's your own fault if you end up hitting someone high.

Ending up with no sanction play on when that's clearly a red mitigated to yellow following the framework is a joke but entirely to be expected with the consistency of the refereeing we've seen on high hits.

There is foul play. He attempted to tackle a player and hit him square in the head. The trajectory/height/whatever changing is mitigation.

There is foul play. He attempted to tackle a player and hit him square in the head. The trajectory/height/whatever changing is mitigation.

Nope

It didn't even get to the point of applying mitigation.

The ref team agreed there was no foul play, therefore no sanction.

Not every head contact is a foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There's nothing to prevent it being mitigated down to nothing that I know of.

Nope

It didn't even get to the point of applying mitigation.

The ref team agreed there was no foul play, therefore no sanction.

Not every head contact is a foul

I don't particularly feel like going around in a circular arguement all evening so I'll just say we must see this particular incident fundamentally differently somehow.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's nothing to prevent it being mitigated down to nothing that I know of.

The mitigation follows a clear pathway in the framework. A high force/danger shot to the head starts at a red and can be mitigated down to a yellow. An incident can only be mitigated down one level of sanction: red to yellow, yellow to penalty, penalty to no sanction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

rugby incidents are where everyone did the right thing independently, but a confluence of events caused someone to get injured

I think this was one of those. Would you ask any of the players to do anything differently to prevent the head contact?

I don't think I would, so I think the referee decision was correct

I don't particularly feel like going around in a circular arguement all evening so I'll just say we must see this particular incident fundamentally differently somehow.

The mitigation follows a clear pathway in the framework. A high force/danger shot to the head starts at a red and can be mitigated down to a yellow. An incident can only be mitigated down one level of sanction: red to yellow, yellow to penalty, penalty to no sanction.

We do see it differently.
    My starting point is "every head contact does not automatically constitute foul play".... Whereas yours seems to be.

You mustn't have read the framework because the very first question after "was there head contact" is "was there foul play".... That's the pathway.

Any argument about mitigation and sanction being dropped one level is moot when the refereeing team come to the conclusion that there's no foul play.

We do see it differently.
    My starting point is "every head contact does not automatically constitute foul play".... Whereas yours seems to be.

You mustn't have read the framework because the very first question after "was there head contact" is "was there foul play".... That's the pathway.

Any argument about mitigation and sanction being dropped one level is moot when the refereeing team come to the conclusion that there's no foul play.

Well this is all super condescending but I'll just ignore that.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/18

You and I obviously disagree that this particular incident was anything like 2 in the above guidelines. I don't think it was, you think it was.

• Advertisement

You don't get penalties on what you think you deserve as a ball carrier

Edit: typo in my first post

I liked how condescending you were as you contradicted yourself.

Advertisement