Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Switches

Options
  • 02-09-2020 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

just came across these by chance online....I've got a few wifi switches in the house from Sonoff but these work off Kinetic energy created in the switch and sending an RF signal to the controller

Ideal for 2 way lighting for eg Bottom of stairs/Landing light

anyone used them before?

https://www.quinetic.co.uk/#products

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

OP I have not used them but I always wondered are those Sonoff switches you have the same as a smart plug BUT without the three pin socket piece? Are they just a cheaper alternative to a smart plug? Why would you use a sonoff switch when you could just as easily use a smart plug. Save cutting wires etc:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OP I have not used them but I always wondered are those Sonoff switches you have the same as a smart plug BUT without the three pin socket piece? Are they just a cheaper alternative to a smart plug? Why would you use a sonoff switch when you could just as easily use a smart plug. Save cutting wires etc:confused:

Sonoff can be used for lots of things. There are many different types. Features:
    - temp displayed on app. Device can switch based on this.
    - RH displayed on app. Device can switch based on this.
    - Inching feature available (configurable). Therefore can be used for solutions such as opening electric gates.
    - integrates with google home & Alexa
    - Multiple timers and schedules possible.
    - Manual override.
    - Can be controlled from app
    - Settings retained on device so it will continue to work as programmed without the internet.
    - 5 channel DIN rail mountable options available.
    - 1, 2 and 3 gang switch box types available
    - switch box type available that requires no neutral.

They are also very cheap with short lead times and the app is free.

I use them to control my heating system. There is no limit to the number of zones they can control making them far better than the over priced Nest offering in my opinion. The only down side for me is the app looks a bit clunky.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

For wireless light switches I use Philips Hue. Cheap and reliable.

There are also cheap wireless fobs for Sonoff that I have not used but I know Stoner has positive experiences with same.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Thanks 2011, ok thats a bit too complex ill stick with my plugs , answered my question thou thanks.:)
    Slowly replacing my smart plugs that control my lights with hue slow and steady.

Slowly replacing my smart plugs that control my lights with hue slow and steady.

That will work! You could consider using IKEA smart lamps that integrate fully with Philips Hue devices and app at a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I use the Sonoff basic for a lot of the bedside/table lamps in the house, where i just replaced the small toggle switch with one.

I have a few fobs aswell that I use for outside lights for turning them on when approaching house in winter. They need one of their RF bridges for them to work and you just basically control the sonoff basics through the RF bridge

The RF bridge is really handy as you can basically buy any 433MHz device and it will work through the bridge. eg. I have a few of the DIGOO-DG-HOSA PIR's in the hall and landing that switch on a single downlighter if anybody enters that area after dusk and it stays on for about 30s.

Its good if you get up in the middle of the night or there is high traffic in the hall/stairs & landing in the evening eliminating the need for a light to be kept on at all times

The DIGOO PIR's are a lot smaller & neater than the Sonoff ones
    DIGOO also have these RF wall switches that you can stick on the wall and also connect them through the RF Bridge which can be used to switch on & off certain devices

Got them from Aliexpress, only downside is the wait time

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    just came across these by chance online....I've got a few wifi switches in the house from Sonoff but these work off Kinetic energy created in the switch and sending an RF signal to the controller

Ideal for 2 way lighting for eg Bottom of stairs/Landing light

anyone used them before?

https://www.quinetic.co.uk/#products

Not the Sonoff brand and for the life of me I can't remember the name but I installed some kinetic switches in 2008/9 and they are working fine still.

Advertisement