Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Fitness

Options
  • 02-09-2020 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hey

So how many here would train with golf specifically in mind?

I have spent a few years when away from golf working initially on Crossfit type work and then much more specific on power and olympic lifting but have re-focused a lot of this for golf which there is transfer..

Aim is to improve golf posture, mobility in the swing and also avoid sill injuries with benefit of increasing speed and distance.

Wondering how many have done much specific training focus and how if any benefits you have found?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DuffMan147

Just back training in the gym the last few weeks and I'm doing strength training with mobility and flexibility stretches. All training is player specific obviously. My flexibility is brutal so I am focusing on that, I follow this guy on youtube called tom merrick he has follow along stretches that I find great.

Like I drive the ball 230-250, if I could consistently drive it 250+ I would be delighted so hoping to see that as I improve my hips and shoulder flexibility + mobility.

If you search YouTube for golf specific exercises I'm sure loads will pop up. Ill report back in afew months to see if my training helped me on the golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The 18strong guys have a lot of golf specific training sets which could be worth a look. They cover strength, mobility, etc... and have deals on a regular basis

Combining mobility work with some five-speed training would be a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Hey

So how many here would train with golf specifically in mind?

I have spent a few years when away from golf working initially on Crossfit type work and then much more specific on power and olympic lifting but have re-focused a lot of this for golf which there is transfer..

Aim is to improve golf posture, mobility in the swing and also avoid sill injuries with benefit of increasing speed and distance.

Wondering how many have done much specific training focus and how if any benefits you have found?

Why not go and see a golf trainer?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

This guy runs a popular golf fitness site/app.

https://twitter.com/Fit_For_Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    This guy runs a popular golf fitness site/app.

https://twitter.com/Fit_For_Golf

I follow his program when I am in the gym, just haven't got a chance to get a good run at it. Will be focusing on it in the winter and hoping to see improvements. Got my swing speed measured a few weeks ago so have a baseline to see if I do get improvements.

I have noticed I am hitting the ball a tad bit further than I was before following his program, this could also be down to a lot of practice as im putting in 3-4 hours a week on the range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

etxp wrote: »
    I follow his program when I am in the gym, just haven't got a chance to get a good run at it. Will be focusing on it in the winter and hoping to see improvements. Got my swing speed measured a few weeks ago so have a baseline to see if I do get improvements.

I have noticed I am hitting the ball a tad bit further than I was before following his program, this could also be down to a lot of practice as im putting in 3-4 hours a week on the range.

I've just started to follow his program as badly need to improve my flexibility and core strength. I've never had swingspeed measured although Toptracer at range gives me ball speed so it can be estimated based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

https://twitter.com/OkeeffePeter

Very popular in Cork, and the guy can play golf a bit as well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    I've just started to follow his program as badly need to improve my flexibility and core strength. I've never had swingspeed measured although Toptracer at range gives me ball speed so it can be estimated based on that.

Ultimately its ball speed you want to increase. Start measuring strike on your driver to see if you are hitting it out the centre. As long as you have something to go on its better than nothing. I'm tempted to get a PRGR to monitor, I know this reads higher than trackman but as long as I should still see increased.

I'm 100/101 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you are in Dublin, Nils Conway operates his golfFit gym out of Spawell golf Centre.

Does 1:1 coaching and also some group classes (though covid is impacting that a little)
    All golf specific and TPI certified.

https://nilsconwaygolffit.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I wouldn’t mind doing golf yoga as I’ve heard that can be very good.
    No idea where there is a class though in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Seve OB wrote: »

Try Kasia. If she can't help you, she'll know who can.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kasia-ferenczuk-534264121

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »

We ran a set of classed out of out club the last few years. Girl was the yoga instructor for the Dublin GAA team, cant remember her name though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

We ran a set of classed out of out club the last few years. Girl was the yoga instructor for the Dublin GAA team, cant remember her name though

yea they all seem to be privately organised like that. more clubs should do it

Advertisement