Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours dog left barking on own

• 02-09-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

The neighbours have started leaving their dog on its own in their house. It's fine when they are there, but as soon as they leave, sometimes for hours, he barks incessantly.

It's become very distracting trying to concentrate, working from home. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this situation.? I don't believe it's fair leaving the dog on its own either, it's a medium sized dog. I'm not surprised it's barking, seems to happen most days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Noise Cancelling Headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭irishgeo

UsBus wrote: »
    The neighbours have started leaving their dog on its own in their house. It's fine when they are there, but as soon as they leave, sometimes for hours, he barks incessantly.

It's become very distracting trying to concentrate, working from home. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this situation.? I don't believe it's fair leaving the dog on its own either, it's a medium sized dog. I'm not surprised it's barking, seems to happen most days.

You can make an official complaint.
    Barking Dogs
    Excessive dog barking which causes a nuisance to any person is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises, or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog. You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations.

Before you do this, you must first let the dog owner know that you are making a complaint. You do this by completing a Section 108 Form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. The Section 108 form is available from the District Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Call the Dog warden in Mayo Co Co for advice. She will be happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

So, do you really care about the welfare of the dog or the fact it's annoying as you work ?

If you weren't at home would you care even less ?

Poor dog is probably trained not to pee in the house and has nowhere to " use the bathroom ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

irishgeo wrote: »
    You can make an official complaint.

Thanks didn't know this. Hopefully won't come to that as they seem really nice neighbours otherwise.

• Advertisement

Call the Dog warden in Mayo Co Co for advice. She will be happy to help

Thanks, wasn't sure if there was a warden in the council.

So, do you really care about the welfare of the dog or the fact it's annoying as you work ?

If you weren't at home would you care even less ?

Poor dog is probably trained not to pee in the house and has nowhere to " use the bathroom ".

Both, it's not fair to lock a dog up on its own. Its clearly not able for it as it doesn't bark when it has company. That was my thought as well about the bathroom...
    I also want to be able to relax at home during periods when I'm not working as this work situation could go on for a while yet.

I had a dog years ago, but rehomed him as I couldn't look after him when work commitments changed. I think it's very unfair to cause a disturbance to neighbours just because you can't devote time to care for a pet. I only saw this dog appear at the start of lockdown, now that some working situations are changing, the dog is left to suffer, and us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Pistachio19

Have you told them the dog barks incessantly when they are out? I'd start there and if they refuse to make changes then report them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Jesus Christ people are quick to jump the gun. Would ya be well reporting your neighbours like that. You said yourself they are nice. Have a friendly word if it bothers you that much. As a dog owner myself, if I put the dog outside for a minute he would start to bark. It doesn't mean he's suffering or needing to relieve himself. Its he wants attention.

Secondly how long is the dog left alone?

Thirdly it sounds like it just annoys you rather than you caring about the welfare of the dog.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't get the impression the dog is being mistreated. At least I hope not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, just a reminder that this thread has been moved into the Animals & Pets forum, so if you're not already familiar with it, please have a look at the charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ people are quick to jump the gun. Would ya be well reporting your neighbours like that. You said yourself they are nice. Have a friendly word if it bothers you that much. As a dog owner myself, if I put the dog outside for a minute he would start to bark. It doesn't mean he's suffering or needing to relieve himself. Its he wants attention.

Secondly how long is the dog left alone?

Thirdly it sounds like it just annoys you rather than you caring about the welfare of the dog.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't get the impression the dog is being mistreated. At least I hope not.

Ya I wouldn't be keen on reporting someone either. They seem perfectly quiet people otherwise and I have absolutely no issue with them. We have not met or spoken, we are not attached, they are not living here that long and with lockdown they keep to themselves. As I said, as lockdown has changed, the dog is left on its own more often, sometimes for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Blub123

I was that neighbour with that dog.

Came home from work lunchtime etc and tried everything. He was in fairness a highly strung breed.
    Neighbour of a long NR of years had a word a couple of times and to be honest I didn't blame them if he was as bad as I was lead to believe.
    The neighbours dont work so we're home all day... Said he was fine when we were there but constantly barking when not.
    By the end I was cringing when I met them.
    Finally put myself in their place decided it wasn't fair and rehomed him.
    Still feel I let him down etc but in cold light of day was best for all concerned, even the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blub123 wrote: »
    I was that neighbour with that dog.

Came home from work lunchtime etc and tried everything. He was in fairness a highly strung breed.
    Neighbour of a long NR of years had a word a couple of times and to be honest I didn't blame them if he was as bad as I was lead to believe.
    The neighbours dont work so we're home all day... Said he was fine when we were there but constantly barking when not.
    By the end I was cringing when I met them.
    Finally put myself in their place decided it wasn't fair and rehomed him.
    Still feel I let him down etc but in cold light of day was best for all concerned, even the dog.

Wise words as when a dog barks when the owners leave, unless they have a camera etc, they have no way of knowing that there is a problem. And no you did not let him down. Far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

try to tell the owner first about the situation. Maybe there's reasons why they left the dogs. maybe.....
    if there are, then you should not be worry anymore.
    but if don't and they act nothing, then you may do a report.

My neighbours dog was barking at everyone as they passed by his territory. I just whistled back a few times and a few years later he seems to be playing a game as I pass. He keeps quite when I'm near and when I'm gone past the house he barks now and again.

Sometimes I know he's there but he is quiet and is probably asleep most of the time. I've met him a couple of times in 7 years and when we first met and I did a whistle he suddenly looked in surprise as if he knew the whistle and was matching it to the face. Well , he didn't bite.

There is also a pattern of when he barks , morelike howls like a wolf , corresponding to the ringing of church bells. You could set your watch by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Suggest to neighbour leaving a radio on at home if they really have to leave him alone inside?
    Supposed to work for some dogs to keep them company.

“Roll it back”

Does anybody remember the buying power of 20 pence, a ( dog walk / day ) ? 19**!

Advertisement