Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car for the first time

Options
  • 02-09-2020 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

I've only ever owned bikes and obviously have been insured on them. I've never owned a car but am thinking of buying one and would be a named driver on the folks policy for years. Whats the process?
    Do insurers give you a ball park figure of a car you want to buy or does that go on the folks policy first? Then I would take over?
    When I buy a bike I can just throw the new bike on my own policy for nothing or for a bit extra, how do i know how much it would cost if I've never had my own car policy?
    Looking at it online, I have to put a reg in, but don't even know what car I'm gonna buy
    Anybody been in a similar position?
    And I know, car forum over there :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

use chill.ie to put in a load of cars and get an idea if you could get insured on anything.

If you own the car the policy will have to be in your name and you could add your parents as named drivers which can bring down the price sometimes. And it's not really allowed to get a parent to have the car in their name while you drive it full time it's called fronting.

Have a look at any cars that are under 1.4 litres and younger than 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭This is it

The quote will vary depending on the car and also the history of the car, hence the need for a car reg for an accurate quote. Just ring with a few random regs of cars from Done Deal that might interest you and you'll get a ball park figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Brill, why only 1.4 though? My GS is nearly as big :)
    And I havent a clue what to look for. Mini coopers look nice
    Suppose I'm going to be screwed even though I've a full licence and 50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Brill, why only 1.4 though? My GS is nearly as big :)
    And I havent a clue what to look for. Mini coopers look nice
    Suppose I'm going to be screwed even though I've a full licence and 50

they seem to think anything bigger than that is a rocket ship. After my bike crash I left the insurance lapse on my 1.9 car and they want something stupid like 2.5 or 3.5k to insure it again when it was well under a grand before. To be fair it went over 15 years old at the same time so they got me from all angles with it.

Thanks for heads up, I just did a check on chill.ie and for a 1.5 Cooper D worth 10.500 is sold at €700 comprehensive.
    Thats not as bad a I thought it would be. Pity my bike cover can't include a car, and it doesn' look like it has any bearing on the form I just filled. The folks policy defo had a bearing on it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

Thanks for heads up, I just did a check on chill.ie and for a 1.5 Cooper D worth 10.500 is sold at €700 comprehensive.
    Thats not as bad a I thought it would be. Pity my bike cover can't include a car, and it doesn' look like it has any bearing on the form I just filled. The folks policy defo had a bearing on it though

Cager alert! :pac::p

But seriously, watch out for Mini servicing and repair costs. It's really a BMW, with BMW prices. How do I know this :confused:

Breezin wrote: »

But seriously, watch out for Mini servicing and repair costs. It's really a BMW, with BMW prices. How do I know this :confused:

Like my GS :pac:

Small car with a 2 litre engine sound great crack though

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Ya must have been named on the folks policy for a fair few years to get it that low on a 1.5 first time around!

Going to get screwed myself when I finally do the full car test thing but have stuck myself down on one of the folks policies recently to try help drop it down a bit when the time comes. Even with 1 year on that, according to chill I'm looking at around 1.2-1.5k for a feckin 1.2 suzuki swift!

Breezin wrote: »

You have one?

Ya must have been named on the folks policy for a fair few years to get it that low on a 1.5 first time around!

Going to get screwed myself when I finally do the full car test thing but have stuck myself down on one of the folks policies recently to try help drop it down a bit when the time comes. Even with 1 year on that, according to chill I'm looking at around 1.2-1.5k for a feckin 1.2 suzuki swift!

I put down that I was on the folks policy for ten years which I'd say is about right, i'd say I have to prove it though in the event of getting a real policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

You have one?

No, because I am not a cager. :cool::D

My missus has a Clubman D. It's a great little car until something goes awry. That said, it doesn't owe her anything. It's 12 years old now and nearly 200k on it. About to expire any day. Will be missed.

We'll be going from dirty diesel (as encouraged by the Greens back then) to electric, if I have my way.

Don't be fixated on engine size. When I was insuring for the first time I got quotes of over €3k for a 1.2 Panda but ended up with a 1.8 Focus for under €2k. For some reason it was also cheaper than the 1.6 focus. It really is a matter of throwing as much as you can against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Also trim levels mean completely different things than you'd imagine and different things to different companies. Sometimes an M-Sport badge on a BMW will add 500 quid, sometimes it'll take a few hundred off.

Age of the car seems to matter more than the engine size from my experience
    .only started driving few years ago was getting quotes to get ballpark figure...a 03 1.0 polo was Working out about 300 more than a 05 1.4 focus...

Anything over 10 years and the price goes up. Over 15 and you'll be lucky to get a quote. If buying new the quotes are laughably low. I put in my details (only 3 years NCB) and got a lower quote on a brand new 276BHP Focus ST than on my 10 year old Focus. If you were buying new you won't need to worry much about insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

All logic out the window so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

See my post and responses on my current travails on page 389 here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057482518/389

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thats mental 2500 for 06 Cleo?
    You must have put something dodgy into the form? Change your occupation to something safer maybe, I put in Government Ireland on mine?
    Doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thats mental 2500 for 06 Cleo?
    You must have put something dodgy into the form? Change your occupation to something safer maybe, I put in Government Ireland on mine?
    Doesn't make sense

I went back and changed nothing bar car reg to a 161 of an identical model, even down to the same colour, and it came down to 1/8th the price: €355.

But I'd have to spend 9k to buy the 161 car, whilst we already own the 06 one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

1/8th the premium... that's a disgrace! I've been shopping around myself and to change from a 162 to a 03 was 330 extra, from 162 to 05 was 100 extra, from 162 to 2010 was 65 extra.
    Comprehensive aswell ..so if I crashed into the ditch and wrote off the 162 with a payout of 15k versus the 03 with NO payout (excess of 500) .... doesn't make sense??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

lalababa wrote: »
    1/8th the premium... that's a disgrace! I've been shopping around myself and to change from a 162 to a 03 was 330 extra, from 162 to 05 was 100 extra, from 162 to 2010 was 65 extra.
    Comprehensive aswell ..so if I crashed into the ditch and wrote off the 162 with a payout of 15k versus the 03 with NO payout (excess of 500) .... doesn't make sense??

Nothing to do with motor insurance makes much sense in this country. The line put out by the insurance companies is that older cars are being bought to stage accidents for the payouts so are statistical higher risk. That is happening but it wouldn't take much effort to filter out those people if they were bothered (claims history, length of ownership etc.) but it's easier just to refuse any car over 10-15 years old.
    I drive a 99 Corolla and I had to demonstrate I'd owned it since 2006 to get insurance when I had to switch from NoNonsense a few years ago cause FBD were shutting down the brand.

Advertisement