Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a tidal pool at Doolin Pier?

Options
  • 02-09-2020 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if this is a dopey question but I was at Doolin Pier over the summer and through the tide, I saw a diamond shaped man-made structure with a path going out to it. There was a family in it. I looked it up afterwards, expecting to find some reference to it somewhere but there is nothing. Google Maps gave me a clearer picture.

Is this a tidal pool? If so, has anyone hear ever swam in it? I'm just curious about it now. :)

My photos:

FA77-D09-A-325-B-45-C2-8-B8-B-9-FBFB5-E9425-C.jpg

D254166-C-E002-4-E41-AB4-D-5837158798-C2.jpg

Google Maps image:

Doolin.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It is. I know someone who was involved in its construction. My understanding is that it was an “unofficial” endeavour by locals. I haven’t used it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It is. I know someone who was involved in its construction. My understanding is that it was an “unofficial” endeavour by locals. I haven’t used it personally.

Thanks. Has it been there for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Thanks. Has it been there for long?

I can't remember for sure, but at least 10 years. A quick scan of my photos reveals shots I took of it in 2011, and it wasn't brand new then:

50301742127_731c7c8f5b_z.jpg

Edit: Actually, that Google Street View image is from April 2009. The concrete looks much fresher and the path is longer in the Street View image than in my one two years later (so part of the path must have been washed away by 2011).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah, cool. It makes sense that it is pretty new because google turned up not one reference to it, although maybe I didn't search the right thing. Other manmade structures like this do have little bits written about them here and there, like the tidal pools in Bundoran and Belmullet. The one in Doolin had a family with small children in it when I was there. It'd be a nice place to bring little ones to experience the sea without worries of them getting pulled out to the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Took this pic last month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement