Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

begbysback wrote: »
    Scarface, good will hunting, and now trainspotting.

Can we change the thread title to, “My taste regarding films is dishwater, and heres proof”??

Oh please. Good Will Hunting isn’t going to be added to the Criterion collection any time soon. It wasn’t universally loved on release (the critiques aggregated by Metacritic show a good chunk of so-so to bad reviews) and its stock has fallen since then. It’s a film that people tend to get po-faced about and that’s never a good sign. If you don’t buy the therapy scenes (and I don’t), that’s a crucial part of the film to find unconvincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Oh please. Good Will Hunting isn’t going to be added to the Criterion collection any time soon. It wasn’t universally loved on release (the critiques aggregated by Metacritic show a good chunk of so-so to bad reviews) and its stock has fallen since then. It’s a film that people tend to get po-faced about and that’s never a good sign. If you don’t buy the therapy scenes (and I don’t), that’s a crucial part of the film to find unconvincing.

It’s not your fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow, i should have just walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Can't believe it took so long (145 posts) for Star Wars to be mentioned, and I'm including the original trilogy in that. The middle trilogy is universally hated I believe anyway, and the recent trilogy was just, well, they looked good, that's about it. Emo Vader was not at all a good character. But the original trilogy, I appreciate it was a product of its time, and it set new standards, etc. But my god they are bad films. Terrible acting, terrible story, and imo did not age well (but still better in comparison to a lot of films).

And just to stoke the fire a bit more, don't understand why people liked Star Wars over Star Trek, the infinitely better franchise. :D

Also in my list of over-rated films, Donnie Darko, Bladerunner (the original, and sequel), A Clockwork Orange, and really most films that "critics" consider amazing. We have very different views, me and the critics. For example, Black Panther. In terms of MCU films, it's probably in the middle to lower middle of good MCU films, and only because it rode the woke wave did it win anything. There are far better MCU films than Black Panther, but it released at the right time with the right amount of black power that it made all the acclaim.

Star Wars and Bladerunner are great, not because of the narrative or the acting, but because of the visuals and the imagination of them. If your not into that kind of escapism fine. But that doesn't mean they are cr*p.

Film is a combination of; visuals i.e cinematography, music i.e score, the story i.e plot, narrative, also mood tone acting etc. So you could say Star Wars wasn't great in one of those respects but it was great in the others.

edit: as for acting in Star Wars Ian McDiarmid (Shakespearean theatre actor) who played The Emperor, was brilliant in Return of the Jedi. That movie was saved because of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

begbysback wrote: »
    It’s not your fault

Oh god, THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF THE WORST SCENE IN THE FILM. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Deliverance.

Get the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Last Tango in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The Irishman was a drag, and dull as hell.
    La la land - hollywood **** itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

retalivity wrote: »
    The Irishman was a drag, and dull as hell

Thought the Irishman was fairly good.
    Tried to watch another one of Netflix's somewhat "praised by critics" recent films (Uncut Gems). Not sure what it was but the music/sound or the jerky camera work + cutting in that film was going through my head. It was literally painful to watch it and I had to stop before I got a migraine. Never experienced anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Gremlins was another repulsive film. How did the concept of a kid stealing a rare exotic animal of an illegal immigrant before forcefeeding it and brutally mutilating it’s offspring in horrific ways get sanctioned.

• Advertisement

While everyone laughed and joked about Wilson, leaving the cinema after watching castaway, I just shook my head thinking I sat through 2 hours watching a film about a fed ex employee getting lost on his way to work before committing postal,fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Requiem for a Dream, biggest pile of steaming horse sh!t I ever saw. Didn't even finish it. These types of threads always pop up on Reddit and if you ever dared to mention the above flop of a film it would be akin to p!ssing on someone's children. Then again, the Yanks probably hugely identify with the film given it deals with "meds" and addiction.

Another vote for Avatar also, load of pure scutter. The best description I read before about this was a guy who betrays the human race so he can clap some alien cheeks.

A Team is about War criminals who forcefuly sedate African American simpleton before destroying agricultural machinery that they have stolen from a barn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Some absolutely shocking picks in this thread I have to say...... that's the funny thing about taste you can be right and wrong....... somebody said Team America.... I can fully understand that if it wasn't aligned to your sense of humor it would he awful while for me as a big fan of South Park, Spoofs and cheesy 80's action films it's the perfect storm and easily in my top 3 comedies of all time.

Anyway, for me its Black Panther. It's a perfectly watchable Superhero film.was a decent villain but in my opinion it's not even in the top 10 Marvel films. However, I do understand not the cultural significance of itI remember when I heard the stellar early reviews and came out thinking what the hell had I missed......

Karate kid is the exciting story of a weird ex PoW who tricks deluded loner into doing DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

AllForIt wrote: »
    Star Wars and Bladerunner are great, not because of the narrative or the acting, but because of the visuals and the imagination of them. If your not into that kind of escapism fine. But that doesn't mean they are cr*p.

Film is a combination of; visuals i.e cinematography, music i.e score, the story i.e plot, narrative, also mood tone acting etc. So you could say Star Wars wasn't great in one of those respects but it was great in the others.

Ah now, it failed in more than 1 category. Visually stunning for the time? Yes. Plot? Maybe, but they messed it up by turning it into a love story of sorts. I'll give you the score, because I'm not as au fait with that and it doesn't really stand out for me in films (it either suits the tone so I don't notice it as much, or it doesn't and stands out as wrong). Acting was terrible, just terrible on all accounts.

But that's the thing, it's an opinion and not for everyone. I'm actually surprised by the amount of people I know who agree with me, as I thought it was universally loved, but it seems you really need to have been either a child/teen or into Sci-Fi at the time it was released to truly appreciate them. I was born the year the 3rd in the original trilogy came out, so I missed them by quite a few years, and by the time I was old enough to start appreciating films, they were dated and I disliked them all for the reasons stated.

I did sit down and watch 1-7 back to back (in the release order), and eventually watched 8 and 9. And the only good one was Rogue One, which isn't even in the main series as such. As for Solo... Just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think most people don't understand what the word "overrated" means.

Films like 50 Shades trilogy were poorly received by critics so cannot be called overrated, just sh1te.

Also, just because a film is well regarded but may be a little slow and have character development does not mean it's sh1te. It's just down to your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Oh, we’re including kid’s films? I thought ‘Shark Tale’ was shíte.

Sure why not.

The Polar Express
    Very creepy movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Rochelle, Rochelle. If you’ve not seen it, it’s about a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

Pffft, overrated. Give me Sack Lunch any day. Now that’s a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

joeguevara wrote: »
    A film about a sexually inexperienced posh girl who let the guy she slept with freeze to death and eventually drown.

Can you drown after freezing to death?

• Advertisement

Stand By Me is the coming of age film about. Laying child who forces friends watch him peel a leech off his genitals before finding a dead hobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

KungPao wrote: »
    Rochelle, Rochelle. If you’ve not seen it, it’s about a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

Pffft, overrated. Give me Sack Lunch any day. Now that’s a movie.

Had to Google, didn't get the references, now I know why. Maybe we should start a thread with over-rated TV shows, I can put Seinfield in it.

Can you drown after freezing the death?

Not as if she cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

For a best picture winner I thought Shakespear in Love was a pile of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ah now, it failed in more than 1 category. Visually stunning for the time? Yes. Plot? Maybe, but they messed it up by turning it into a love story of sorts. I'll give you the score, because I'm not as au fait with that and it doesn't really stand out for me in films (it either suits the tone so I don't notice it as much, or it doesn't and stands out as wrong). Acting was terrible, just terrible on all accounts.

But that's the thing, it's an opinion and not for everyone. I'm actually surprised by the amount of people I know who agree with me, as I thought it was universally loved, but it seems you really need to have been either a child/teen or into Sci-Fi at the time it was released to truly appreciate them. I was born the year the 3rd in the original trilogy came out, so I missed them by quite a few years, and by the time I was old enough to start appreciating films, they were dated and I disliked them all for the reasons stated.

I did sit down and watch 1-7 back to back (in the release order), and eventually watched 8 and 9. And the only good one was Rogue One, which isn't even in the main series as such. As for Solo... Just bad.

In that case I'd say it's each to his own then, as you alluded to.

I'd agree the spin-off's were largely rubbish and Rogue One was the best of the spin-off's, but not better than the original for all the added benefit of CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Had to Google, didn't get the references, now I know why. Maybe we should start a thread with over-rated TV shows, I can put Seinfield in it.

Nahhh, One of the greats. Took me a while to appreciate it. But after years of the incredible Curb your Enthusiasm, I finally got it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Cake Man wrote: »
    Requiem for a Dream, biggest pile of steaming horse sh!t I ever saw. Didn't even finish it. These types of threads always pop up on Reddit and if you ever dared to mention the above flop of a film it would be akin to p!ssing on someone's children. Then again, the Yanks probably hugely identify with the film given it deals with "meds" and addiction.

I came here to mention this piece of garbage too. Exploitative, hysterical, imbecilic, pretentious-an utter failure of an attempt to make a serious artful film. I got flack here on boards before for saying that I judge people who think it's good, but I stand over that any day. I remember getting a flame post of about 2,000 words from some deranged Yank on the IMDb forums when I tried to offer criticism of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭Wailin

glasso wrote: »
    I just made a comment about another war movie

the whole point of Dunkirk was that it's not really about the characters -> "War is War".

that's why the characters aren't laboured over or their backstory explored -> it's about what happened then and there, the immediacy of the situation

It's not a documentary, not sure why it's being compared to one :confused:

it's also Nolan's highest-rated movie by a mile - by users and critics alike (so can't just say it's all critics)

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dunkirk

Another muppet that goes by the critics points scoring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Christopher Nolan is an overrated artless Toryboy hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Sure why not.

The Polar Express
    Very creepy movie.

fb7.jpg

Advertisement