Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't understand the love for the John Wick movies at all. Watched half of the first one and was bored beyond endurance.

Same here its basically a hour and a half of keanu looking moody and shooting people repeatedly, gets repetitive rather quickly.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ladybird . Pure S***e

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Vanilla Sky -more Tom Cruise rubbish
    The Butcher Boy - hated every minute of it but most people love it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    The Butcher Boy - hated every minute of it but most people love it !

Pure sh*t. Would love to give the lead actor a slap of a sledgehammer into the face, annoying little cu*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The Batman movie from 1989.

People were having strokes about it back in the day.

Much ado about nothing.

I'd say the strokes they were having were because of Kim Basinger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Archeron wrote: »
    That Glen Hansard movie Once. If I remember correctly the Irish media were dribbling all over themselves at this, and it was a pile of absolute scutter with an incredibly annoying whiny soundtrack.

It’s shît, the Frames are shît, and Hansard, ughhhhh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rocky - Rubbish, I couldn't believe this won an oscar, and stallone nominated for best actor ?
    It was Steadicam wot done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

The Matrix
    Oceans Eleven
    Sin City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

buried wrote: »
    BlackKKlansman. Another badly crafted world that just seems totally and utterly unbelievable.

Much of what happens in that film is true. Certain bits are exaggerated but that’s to be expected unless you’re going pure biopic. But it is based on a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ladybird . Pure S***e

Great call. Similarly, Juno was utter sh1te too. As was Brooklyn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Hipster movies such as Birdman.

Mad Max: Fury Road was a head scratcher. The film is carried by one of the most unlikable protagonists I've ever seen (Tom Hardy). He mutters about 6 unintelligible lines throughout the entire film and we're supposed to think this is enjoyable.

---

Another vote for Dunkirk. The most subtly boring film I've seen in recent times. If I wanted to get a 'feel' of war I'd watch a documentary.

Chris Nolan is the most overrated director I can think of. He was a few good films (The Prestige/Interstellar/Batman flicks), but a lot of rest of his work is walk out of the cinema stuff. All of his films are too loud, devoid of any fun, and self indulgent beyond words. He's not a bad director, but again just extremely overrated.

He's one of many who represent such a shift in film. I don't think this current era has been good because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Much of what happens in that film is true. Certain bits are exaggerated but that’s to be expected unless you’re going pure biopic. But it is based on a true story.

I know its true, but the execution of the story is so cartoonish and in areas downright laughable it just completely watered down the world and the seriousness of the message it was trying to portray. When you do that in such a story, you drag out the audience member into thinking what exactly is the message here? Is it a serious one or a p!sspull comedy? Then we don't know what is going on, and inevitably lose all interest. It is badly crafted work.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Inception
    Intermission
    Gladiator

Never understood the hype about any of them. I remember the hype about Gladiator when it came out and really wanted to enjoy it like most people did. Even watched it 3 times to see if I could get it. It's the only film I ever feel asleep watching. It goes on forever and some of the acting is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

The Shawshank Redemption can suck my balls

Gladiator is a terrible piece of work. I think it only gets a pass because it had the two auld lads at deaths door in it or something. Looks lovely in parts but the editing, acting, dialogue and the sequential editing especially is absolutely shocking. There is a scene in the Colosseum where you can see 2 gas canisters falling off the back of one of the chariots in one of the crashes. But that's the least of its problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

buried wrote: »
    I know its true, but the execution of the story is so cartoonish and in areas downright laughable it just completely watered down the world and the seriousness of the message it was trying to portray. When you do that in such a story, you drag out the audience member into thinking what exactly is the message here? Is it a serious one or a p!sspull comedy? Then we don't know what is going on, and inevitably lose all interest. It is badly crafted work.

In my opinion, I think you read into it too much. I found it thoroughly enjoyable, bat**** crazy and yet somehow based on real events. But again, I enjoy wacky, crazy stuff, and hate films with hidden meanings or some deep thought provoking story or references to real life. I'm sure I've enjoyed some films that are like that, but are good enough without the hidden meaning or undertone that I still liked it even if I didn't 'get' it.

Film (and tv, gaming, reading, etc) are supposed to take me out of this world and into theirs, and my preference is fantastical. This tends to mean I enjoy a lot of 'brain at the door' films, which I do. Black KKKlansman is one of those, it's not that hard to follow but is crazy enough to be enjoyable - it doesn't seem like something that did really happen. Haven't watched it since the cinema, so maybe my memory isn't remembering the bad bits, but I remember coming out of the cinema well happy with the money spent. I didn't need to find a message or meaning, it was just enjoyable.

And on war films, I'm there for the 'splosions and killing and war, not the feels. I think that's why Saving Private Ryan did so well, it didn't force you into feeling for these people, but it did a great job of putting you in there (imo). As said above, if you want to get a feel for the people, watch a documentary, but a film shouldn't be as mechanical as a documentary, I'm there for entertainment, not a history lesson. If you can do both, great!

In my opinion, I think you read into it too much. I found it thoroughly enjoyable, bat**** crazy and yet somehow based on real events. But again, I enjoy wacky, crazy stuff, and hate films with hidden meanings or some deep thought provoking story or references to real life. I'm sure I've enjoyed some films that are like that, but are good enough without the hidden meaning or undertone that I still liked it even if I didn't 'get' it.

Film (and tv, gaming, reading, etc) are supposed to take me out of this world and into theirs, and my preference is fantastical. This tends to mean I enjoy a lot of 'brain at the door' films, which I do. Black KKKlansman is one of those, it's not that hard to follow but is crazy enough to be enjoyable - it doesn't seem like something that did really happen. Haven't watched it since the cinema, so maybe my memory isn't remembering the bad bits, but I remember coming out of the cinema well happy with the money spent. I didn't need to find a message or meaning, it was just enjoyable.

And on war films, I'm there for the 'splosions and killing and war, not the feels. I think that's why Saving Private Ryan did so well, it didn't force you into feeling for these people, but it did a great job of putting you in there (imo). As said above, if you want to get a feel for the people, watch a documentary, but a film shouldn't be as mechanical as a documentary, I'm there for entertainment, not a history lesson. If you can do both, great!

That's all well and good PM if it wasn't for some of the people this film was trying to portray. David Duke is a vicious homicidal fascist psycho. A real real nasty piece of work. That's him in real life. He is not an idiot. But in this film he is portrayed as a cartoonish idiot that couldn't organise a stage weekend in Westport. You have protagonist characters sent into harms way such as Adam Drivers character, you are supposed to feel this guy is in danger, yet he is undercover with a gang of redneck cartoonish idiots that are all over the shop. The film has no grounding in what it is trying to achieve. Its message. The last 10 minutes are a jokey skit in a pub, then the last 2 minutes you have actual documentary footage of people being ran over by racists in cars. The film doesn't know what it is. Is it a cartoonish comedy, or an actual message to the divisional danger engulfing America? It can't be both. Because it was definitely sold as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lord of the Rings - load of people wandering around the place up mountains, and sounding like eejjits with put on over dramatic stage accents.
    Turned it off after a climbing mountain bit. All on some quest that I do not care about.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pearl Harbour. Or people thought like me and it was boring as feck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I have to say re: Birdman, I know it’s pretentious **** but I find it terribly watchable. Ed Norton is great in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭coolbeans

YFlyer wrote: »

Not overrated though, it was universally panned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

coolbeans wrote: »
    Not overrated though, it was universally panned.

Nice to hear. Won't get my cinema fee back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

eddiervp20 wrote: »
    The Godfather (Absolute muck)
    All of the Star wars movies
    The Breakfast Club
    Harry Potter series
    John Wick

The Godfather is one of the greatest movies ever. The very esssence of fiction film is brought together in that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

1917 was not great

Dunkirk was one of the best WW2 movies ever made

Dunkirk was ok but 1917 was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Rothko wrote: »
    I agree except about Daniel Day Lewis. He's the only good thing about that movie.

Yes, although everything is over the top, I think Day Lewis does a good job, but the film itself is not up there. I found the New York City settings unconvincing. The sets were built at Cinecitta Rome. I thimk they should have made an effort at design and film somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Erranged wrote: »
    All that Tim Burton/johnny depp rubbish
    I do like a few of Burton's movies but most of them are just plain weird. I could never see the fascination with movies like The Nightmare Before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Anything of yours that you stick in the Shawshank Redemption's mouth, you're going to lose it!

Shoelaces wrote: »

Andy DuFresne, headed for the Pacific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I remember the hype about Gladiator when it came out and really wanted to enjoy it like most people did. Even watched it 3 times to see if I could get it. It's the only film I ever feel asleep watching. It goes on forever and some of the acting is awful.

Crowes acting is amazing and his career best. the scene with him and Richard Harris for example is powerful and the writing overall is excellent. When he discovers the fate of his wife and child it's so moving. I think Gladiator is underratted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

YFlyer wrote: »

Under-rate if anything versus its opening reviews.
    I thought the first two-thirds of it were v good, last third wheels came off.
    Excellent battle scenes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement