Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good call. Could never understand the hype about that film or song.

Lot of dodge stuff about Hansard recently too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Phantom thread wildly over rated too

The “plot twist” is absolutely idiotic rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

joeguevara wrote: »
    Bizarrely the first time I watched this I was like Annie from Misery (another Stephen king classic) when she went ‘this isn’t right, they just cheated us, he didn’t get out of the cockadoodie car’

https://youtu.be/Br5umHOm3TM

What I meant was the huge flaw in shawshank which ruins the film. Let me explain.

If you have never seen look away now.

Andy dufraine escaping is the point of the film. If he doesn’t the film doesn’t work. As we all know, he escaped via a tunnel hidden by a poster of a pin up.

Now when the governor, and guard checked the cell, they had no clue how he escaped. In anger the warden starting throwing rocks, first at red (Freeman) and then at the cupcake on the wall.

Now listen to 3.05

https://youtu.be/RQSmfzfg2MY

The stone the warden threw pierced the poster. Only way that could happen if poster was taught. If it wasn’t the stone wouldn’t go through, or at least pierce it. Now the only way a poster can be taught is if top and bottom were attached to the wall. If we presume the top was and the poster was lifted to allow Andy get through the hole, no way could he attach the bottom to ensure its taut.

So the fact that it was taut couldn’t happen. If that is faked, then the escape is fake. If he had left the bottom unattached then it works. But no. People, think it doesn’t make a difference. But fcuck it, at least get the most important thing right.

It could have been held taut by weight attached to bottom of poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Zoolander.
    I tried to watch it twice and I tried to get it. But absolute garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Zoolander.
    I tried to watch it twice and I tried to get it. But absolute garbage.

It's a poor film that I wouldn't call overrated as it was not highly rated at the time.

Some people try to make out it's a comic classic but it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I miss Peter Sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not really a movie as such - but Hamilton.

Tonnes of hype about it even though no-one over here knew who he was. My wife was getting bombarded by friends and people on FB groups saying how amazing it was. My kids were all talking about it, because they heard their friends talking about it. We watched it, and total meh. The whole "America then, as told by America now" maybe makes some sense in the US, but none over here. I've posted already about my passionate and undying hatred of musical movies, but I can tolerate them as stage performances. This one didn't even have any good songs.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Crowes acting is amazing and his career best. (Gladiator)

Romper Stomper!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Not really a movie as such - but Hamilton.

Tonnes of hype about it even though no-one over here knew who he was. My wife was getting bombarded by friends and people on FB groups saying how amazing it was. My kids were all talking about it, because they heard their friends talking about it. We watched it, and total meh. The whole "America then, as told by America now" maybe makes some sense in the US, but none over here. I've posted already about my passionate and undying hatred of musical movies, but I can tolerate them as stage performances. This one didn't even have any good songs.

To this day I am puzzled about the Hamilton hype, and I saw the stage show in London. Wish I had spent £98 on a different show.

Much of what happens in that film is true. Certain bits are exaggerated but that’s to be expected unless you’re going pure biopic. But it is based on a true story.

I think the fact that the explosion in BlacKkKlansman - basically the climax of the movie - was totally fictitious (not even an exaggeration, totally made up) was a disappointment. I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it was fair for it to play up the "based on a true story" aspect so much when something so integral to the story was fictional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

MattS1 wrote: »
    Dunkirk was ok but 1917 was much better.

I think the single continuous shot was technically brilliant,particularly the canal crossing.
    The movie itself wasn't great IMO.

Similar feelings regarding Dunkirk, a technical tour Dr force and some aspects such as the Mk1 colour scheme and cockpit setup on the spitfire really made my inner nerd happy.
    The soundscape also played nicely to the tensions.
    Also I did like the concurrent and converging timeline spiel.

But, I just couldn't warm to the characters and my interest waned whenever there wasn't something for me to check accuracy for.

As an accurate and well made reenactment it ticks the boxes.
    As a movie, a piece of entertainment?
    I think it fails, it's an effort at an historically accurate snapshot of characters and ego, that fails to have any good characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Scent of a Woman. A "charity" Oscar for Al Pacino. Whoo hahh!

Didn't think 'The Usual Suspects' deserved all the hype. Good film for sure

One of the greatest movie endings of all time, get lost

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Lost in translation - the most boring ****e ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Inception
    Intermission
    Gladiator

Never understood the hype about any of them. I remember the hype about Gladiator when it came out and really wanted to enjoy it like most people did. Even watched it 3 times to see if I could get it. It's the only film I ever feel asleep watching. It goes on forever and some of the acting is awful.
    Crowes acting is amazing and his career best. the scene with him and Richard Harris for example is powerful and the writing overall is excellent. When he discovers the fate of his wife and child it's so moving. I think Gladiator is underratted

Film is a bit long and self indulgent could have edited at least 45 minutes out of it without ruining the film. I like the film but found if I watch if again after a long time - I think jayus this takes ages to get going. Loads and loads on the back story, long cinematic montages and so on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Erranged wrote: »
    All that Tim Burton/johnny depp rubbish

Burton’s problem was putting Depp and Helena Bonham Carter (when they were still together) in everything. Like, I get that directors have their favourites but they don’t put them in everything they do. Both those actors seemed miscast at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think the fact that the explosion in BlacKkKlansman - basically the climax of the movie - was totally fictitious (not even an exaggeration, totally made up) was a disappointment. I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it was fair for it to play up the "based on a true story" aspect so much when something so integral to the story was fictional.

A bit like the Social Network. A film I LOVE, by the way. Great film, but they take a lot of liberties. It annoys my husband that his whole motivation in the film is based on
    a relationship and break up that didn’t happen. Zuckerberg was happily with Priscilla Chan for most of his time at Harvard. And the film is very sympathetic towards Saverin.

Space Dog wrote: »
    To this day I am puzzled about the Hamilton hype, and I saw the stage show in London. Wish I had spent £98 on a different show.

it's for Americans to delude themselves that they live in some sort of great country as opposed to the actual mess that is reality.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Dunkirk was ok but 1917 was much better.

1917 will be quickly forgotten about and Dunkirk will go down as a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Blues Brothers, could never take to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Guard.
    The Young Offenders.

Repped on the Guard. I thought it had an interesting concept and Brendan Gleeson puts in a great performance but it went down a very cartoonish route. In fact I think MacDonagh is hugely overated in general with his cartoon sub-Guy Ritchie gangsters and tiresome racial politics shoehorned into every film.

Haven't seen YO film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

buried wrote: »
    A Quiet Place. Protagonist family of hipster idiots live in a post apocalyptic world where monsters that can hear your slightest move rush to come kill you, but said protagonist family of hipsters still be living like its 1999 on a huge working farm with a pregnant woman in tow. They all deserved to die and the longer the film went on I was hoping they all would.

The Netflix clone The Silence is a more enjoyable film,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

All the Furious films are on the same level as mega shark v giant octopus

And this is a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Lost in translation - the most boring ****e ever produced.

It relies too much on ‘Japan is weird’ if you know anything about Japan it loses a lot of its appeal, Bill Murray is its saving grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Anything with Tom Hanks in it. I would give the Streets of Philadelphia props for being ground-breaking at the time, but, honestly, he has to be the most over-rated mainstream Hollywood actor of his generation.

A Few Good Men.

Watched it recently and apart from the iconic "you can't handle the truth" scene, the rest of it is quite dull. And I think Nicholson and Cruise are among my favourite actors but. Maybe in the 90's I would have loved it.

The Blues Brothers, could never take to it.

White people steal black people's music and wear sunglasses indoors. Agreed - music is fantastic though.

White people steal black people's music and wear sunglasses indoors. Agreed - music is fantastic though.

very woke revisionist appreciation :D

it's ok, has its moments.

was over-rated in 1980's Ireland certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

loyatemu wrote: »
    so much wrong in such a short post!
    Indeed, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Avatar was a real sh1t sandwich.
    But it looked great!

EDIT: Another one for me in Bird Box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Except Blues is a mixture of African and European. Interesting read here

https://medium.com/@IRahmanJones/white-people-blues-music-and-the-problem-of-cultural-appropriation-3e61b8d25c03

Advertisement