Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/pearl-harbor-2001

Oh and the special effects suck. Completely wrong ships.

There's actual footage of the Doolittle Raid and the take off was way scarier then the movie.

Just watch Tora! Tora! Tora! instead.
    The Japanese segments were done by the Japanese hence the different music.

Tora Tora Tora is well worth watching, fantastic combat, aerial sequences and no CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

1000% agree. If Saoirse Ronan wasn't Irish, nobody here would have even heard of it

It was one of the best picture nominees at the Oscars in 2018...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Birdman, which starred Michael Keaton, and Donnie Darko, which started Jake gyllenhall,

Both way overrated.

They each had a 'mental illness gives you special powers' premise which was bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Loved Donnie Darko, great film.

Surprised not to see The Butterfly Effect mentioned yet (another great film), but I suppose that just means no-one rates it at all...
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that highly acclaimed film!

I quite liked the Hellraiser films, ... must give them a re-watch actually

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Night of the Hunter

Drive

The Shape of Water -> In fact anything by Del Toro.

Joker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Loved Donnie Darko, great film.

Surprised not to see The Butterfly Effect mentioned yet (another great film), but I suppose that just means no-one rates it at all...

I quite liked the Hellraiser films, ... must give them a re-watch actually

Really liked butterfly effect. Haven’t seen any of the sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

joeguevara wrote: »
    Really liked butterfly effect. Haven’t seen any of the sequels.

Neither have I, didn't think the ending [directors cut, the only proper ending] left any room for sequels. (Just looked them up, theyre unrelated to the original film, might give them a watch)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'd rather watch El Mariachi again. Total Cost of Getting the Film in Can: $2,975 (without developing) and $2,329.00 of that was for the rolls of film.

Haven't see that but you've a point it is astronomical...maybe sinful.
    I did enjoy it [edit: Avatar] and am glad it exists.
    Even if it is overrated, I think it was worth a couple of forgettable superhero blockbusters or sequels. You'd hope for a world where extremely expensive films taking a bit of a risk relatively speaking by trying something new (like Avatar) and smaller films can coexist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tony EH wrote: »
    Night of the Hunter

Drive

Joker

I hated the shape of water!
    Nonsense.

Del Toro is so over rated.
    I wasted hours of my life on his "masterpieces".

Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Tony EH wrote: »
    Night of the Hunter

Drive

Joker

His anima stone series tales of arcadia is splendid

• Advertisement

What was that alien contact film, with ink signs or something.

The "acting" of wow face for an hour and a half.

Utter nonsense.

The Jack Reacher films. Maybe it is because I find Tom Cruise an annoying actor.

they were never exactly rated much

that said they are ok time fillers of a rainy Tuesday or a lockdown Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I really liked Birdman.

His anima stone series tales of arcadia is splendid

OK, I must check that out

Stanley Kubrick is one of my favourite directors, but Eyes Wide Shut left me bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If you don't like or appreciate Hamilton you're an idiot, a philistine, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Boyhood .... absolute scutter .
    Apart from the fact that it was filmed over 12 years and you saw the actors age - that was interesting, the film itself was a pretentious bore.
    Especially when the kid grew up and was always moaning in that way American kids do with "like , like , like " ... moaning about the environment and America to his girlfriend - as he drives around in an SUV .... such horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yer man going "boom boom boom boom" wasn't that a bit repetitive ?

"Yer man" is the legendary John Lee Hooker.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What was that alien contact film, with ink signs or something.

The "acting" of wow face for an hour and a half.

Utter nonsense.

Knowing (Nicholas Cage)?
    Don't think it is regarded as "great" by anyone (?!) which probably rules it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think he's talking about Arrival with Amy Adams.

• Advertisement

Okay, haven't seen that I think (or if I did it made no impression!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Stanley Kubrick is one of my favourite directors, but Eyes Wide Shut left me bored.

I think it came out when I was in second year in college. Always love his movies growing up. Remember his film was just flat and the ending a bit blah. But he was dead shortly after first cut so don’t know if this was ever the final product. Being on his last legs wasn’t going ever to produce his magnum opus. Not sure anyone ever really rated it highly.

Saving Private Ryan was the most overrated for me. I wouldn’t call it sh1t, it was just boring. I love war movies and Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now rock. While the beach scenes were epic in SPR, everything else I found dull.

I saw the Deer Hunter discussed here and specifically it’s mysoginy and dated language. How else do people think blue collar Russian orthodox guys in 60/s70s Ohio would speak and act?

Films are far far too subjective for me to decide what is or isn't overrated. I can tell you however the ones that are in my opinion (un)worthy of that title.

Get out and It Follows. I thought they were both really entertainment but didn't get the hype.
    Inception. I love Christopher Nolan but this was another example of a film that didn't live up to the media circus around it. I liked it all the same.
    The Monty Python films. In fairness to them most loved comedies I just don't find funny.

An awful lot of the films mentioned here are some of my all time favourites.

Requiem for a Dream
    Lord of the Rings x 3
    Nolan's Batman
    The Matrix
    Joker
    Gone with the Wind
    The Deer Hunter

That's it.

Couldn't understand the rave reviews.
    But many loved it.
    Just my feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 some.guy

Mad Max Fury Road: it was ok but very OTT. The originals, especially the first two, will always be the best.

Films are far far too subjective for me to decide what is or isn't overrated. I can tell you however the ones that are in my opinion (un)worthy of that title.

Get out and It Follows. I thought they were both really entertainment but didn't get the hype.
    Inception. I love Christopher Nolan but this was another example of a film that didn't live up to the media circus around it. I liked it all the same.
    The Monty Python films. In fairness to them most loved comedies I just don't find funny.

I love a lot of Monty Python, particularly The Meaning of Life, but it is a bit niche, tests your sense of funny.

That's it.

Couldn't understand the rave reviews.
    But many loved it.
    Just my feeling.

Yeah, I was the same. Not a bad film, I just found it kinda boring.

I'm actually not sure if it's well regarded but I found Silence to be really disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

got a problem with nipples or somethin?

Advertisement