Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Notmything wrote: »
    Dunkirk, 1917. Over hyped and rubbish

Absolutely. Cillian Murphys and Harry Styles character storylines were so brutally ****e and so unnecessary. Such a shame with such a budget and technology and the fullness of hindsight, it was a great opportunity to make a great war movie. Fluffed. As was 1917.The opening shot of 1917 is utterly amazing. hats off, possibly the best one shot scene ive seen. Unfortunately it then kept dropping the ball and fizzled out so badly. The main guys been punished for their kindness and naivety after trying to rescue germans, like about 3/4 times. **** me. And the one helpful allied soldier in the back of the truck been a sikh. ah here, im already awake.

Some Like it Hot. I didn't. Black Panther, very contrived message.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I love a lot of Monty Python, particularly The Meaning of Life, but it is a bit niche, tests your sense of funny.

There are days when I'd laugh at a leaf blowing but when it comes to comedy be it film, TV, stand up, the majority I don't like.
    I'll always choose a different genre.

Oddly enough I absolutely loved A Fish Called Wanda and Fawlty Towers. Along with Black Books and Father Ted they are the exceptions :)
    Maybe I'll give Python another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

debby does dallas was just an absolute mess.

Rothko wrote: »
    I'm actually not sure if it's well regarded but I found Silence to be really disappointing.

That's on my list but I feel like it will require effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

There are days when I'd laugh at a leaf blowing but when it comes to comedy be it film, TV, stand up, the majority I don't like.
    I'll always choose a different genre.

Oddly enough I absolutely loved A Fish Called Wanda and Fawlty Towers. Along with Black Books and Father Ted they are the exceptions :)
    Maybe I'll give Python another go.

think i know what u mean, somedays comedy just doesnt work at all, even stuff id normally laugh at. i think it means im a handsome genius who's great with sandwiches and has excellent taste in jumpers.

• Advertisement

1990sman wrote: »
    think i know what u mean, somedays comedy just doesnt work at all, even stuff id normally laugh at. i think it means im a handsome genius who's great with sandwiches and has excellent taste in jumpers.

Sandwiches though?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,245 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Films are far far too subjective for me to decide what is or isn't overrated. I can tell you however the ones that are in my opinion (un)worthy of that title.

Get out and It Follows. I thought they were both really entertainment but didn't get the hype.
    Inception. I love Christopher Nolan but this was another example of a film that didn't live up to the media circus around it. I liked it all the same.
    The Monty Python films. In fairness to them most loved comedies I just don't find funny.

Monty Python films...amusing yes overall, but the reverence that some have towards it, I could name at least 20 funnier films.

Eyes wide shut I liked, it’s got a real weird undertone to it, I think part of the genius is two mainstream family friendly actors playing quite fućked up characters in a series of fûcked up events. I liked the cinematography too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Some "people" (let's keep it polite!) have accused Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy of being overrated. Well, it's on BBC1 now and I'm watching it for about the 6th time. Without doubt, one of the best films of the past 10 years and gets better on each viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Some "people" (let's keep it polite!) have accused Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy of being overrated. Well, it's on BBC1 now and I'm watching it for about the 6th time. Without doubt, one of the best films of the past 10 years and gets better on each viewing!

It gets the 1970's style right but that is about it.

Totally unnecessary movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It doesn't even come close to being as good as the miniseries from the 70's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

imme wrote: »
    It gets the 1970's style right but that is about it.

Totally unnecessary movie

What the hell is that supposed to mean? What is a necessary movie?

To me, everything about TTSS is spot on: the immersion in the period, the repression, the paranoia. Brilliant cast, superb script. One of the very few movies I would watch again and again. As regards overrated, as far as I know it didn't win any Oscars, which is an absolute travesty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

some.guy wrote: »
    Mad Max Fury Road: it was ok but very OTT. The originals, especially the first two, will always be the best.

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree. Fury Road is a masterpiece and one of the best films ever created in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 some.guy

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree. Fury Road is a masterpiece and one of the best films ever created in my opinion.

Fair enough. Any love for the originals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

I watched the Godfather trilogy during lockdown. One of those things I had just never got around to watching for some reason. I love Brando, and enjoyed the first somewhat (though I burst out laughing at Sonny's shooting, it was dreadfully over the top), but the second was mediocre and the third just awful. Overall I was disappointed and it's aged very badly, Pacino over acts. Brando is the only saving grace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I just remembered one there, friend absolutely raving to me about it, gave me the dvd (i know) and it was worse than i feared - The Hangover, absolute dross. People were all dressed as characters that halloween i think and it didn't get a smile from me.. And i thought i liked childish humour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Strumms wrote: »
    Monty Python films...amusing yes overall, but the reverence that some have towards it, I could name at least 20 funnier films.

Eyes wide shut I liked, it’s got a real weird undertone to it, I think part of the genius is two mainstream family friendly actors playing quite fućked up characters in a series of fûcked up events. I liked the cinematography too.

I'd love to see that list!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Different tastes

Scarface great **** ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Matmania wrote: »
    Scarface great **** ?

Do you like other gangster movies?

Scarface ?

• Advertisement

Over rated in whos eyes. U like what u like

Yes

I love scar face but it wouldn’t be in top 5 gangster movies for me. I can understand how someone didn’t like it.

Overated in what eyes

I took it as highly rated as in popular or raved by press.

For me Napoleon dynamite fits it. Amount of people saying it’s the funniest thing ever and I watched it and just never got going.

U like what u like sorry

These concvos are crapp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

U like what u like sorry

Deleted a few of your posts, off topic etc

U like what u like sorry

But that’s the point of the thread. A movie that everyone was blown away by but you weren’t.

Taxi driver overated. Raging bull no. Also anyone scarface overated bye. Carlitos way underated. Go watch a bit of miss brown's boys or Russell howard hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Under-rate if anything versus its opening reviews.
    I thought the first two-thirds of it were v good, last third wheels came off.
    Excellent battle scenes.

First two thirds was boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, I liked the first ones, but to me, Fury Road was a great achievement, a lot more grand and powerful.

Advertisement