Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Tony EH wrote: »
    Night of the Hunter
    darlett wrote: »
    Some Like it Hot. I didn't.

Ah lads, let’s not be hasty here. Those are some stone cold classics. Fantastic films.

(Tony, al least by including Drive you redeem yourself a bit with your list.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If you don't like or appreciate Hamilton you're an idiot, a philistine, or both.
    A couple of great songs padded out by some very humdrum and utterly monotonous hip hop and a real struggle to get through. More "is that it?" than faux horror at the debasement of the musical form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ha, there's nothing monotonous about the hip hop in it at all. The wordplay, flow, running and storytelling are ingenious.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ha, there's nothing monotonous about the hip hop in it at all. The wordplay, flow, running and storytelling are ingenious.
    I guess they did in the bits where I woke up! If you want real wordplay go to Beckett, Stoppard, Pinter or the Bard. Each to their own as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

some.guy wrote: »
    Fair enough. Any love for the originals?

Definitely. I absolutely love 1 and 2.
    3... Not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

is_that_so wrote: »
    A couple of great songs padded out by some very humdrum and utterly monotonous hip hop and a real struggle to get through. More "is that it?" than faux horror at the debasement of the musical form.

I liked the intensity of King George and the feline Thomas Jefferson.
    I think the Schuyler sisters had the best songs (as more typical musical songs).
    Some of the hip hop stuff passed me by.

I admire the cojones to base a musical in the period \ with those characters.
    For me, overall it was lacking that something wonderful, but think it is possible it hit the spot for other viewers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

darlett wrote: »
    Absolutely. Cillian Murphys and Harry Styles character storylines were so brutally ****e and so unnecessary. Such a shame with such a budget and technology and the fullness of hindsight, it was a great opportunity to make a great war movie. Fluffed. As was 1917.The opening shot of 1917 is utterly amazing. hats off, possibly the best one shot scene ive seen. Unfortunately it then kept dropping the ball and fizzled out so badly. The main guys been punished for their kindness and naivety after trying to rescue germans, like about 3/4 times. **** me. And the one helpful allied soldier in the back of the truck been a sikh. ah here, im already awake.

Some Like it Hot. I didn't. Black Panther, very contrived message.

1917 is a harrowing masterpiece, Dunkirk was self indulgent nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,755 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Monty Python films. In fairness to them most loved comedies I just don't find funny.

I am the same I never got them ether same with Fawlty Towers series and Blackadder stuff. Same sorts of ideas.

I was thinking there must be some reason I don't like them.
    Realised it is the non stop irony/satire turned up to Eleven with no respite or change of style. It is machine gun irony fire enough bullets and hope one will land a giggle.
    Also, there is a certain type of arty pretentiousness to it as well - ie if you don't laugh you don't like 'intelligent' comedy.

But at same time I have enjoyed The Simpsons they have plenty of satire and irony. I think the key difference is they mix it up a bit and it is not so repetitive.

Ironically I did not think much of The Simpsons film can't even remember any of it. Forgettable?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I recommend watching Holy Grail on mushies or something similar. It really makes the finale a game changer and gives focus to a lot more.

Anyone not enjoying Blackadder gets my upmost sympathy. Especially if you find the phucking Simpsons funnier, oh dear.

I guess it takes all types?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Casablanca for me. Only watched it recently as I have an aversion to B&W movies but my God is it poor. Two blokes in a bar smoking and talking for the most part. Don't understand why it's held in such high regard at all at all.

• Advertisement

In general I think any Woody Allen film. He just stands around the place looking dead pan staring - close ups. Plots make no sense. After watching them I am left scratching my head where was the funny bit? Was there a point to that? Jayus! (In no particular order)

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I recommend watching Holy Grail on mushies or something similar. It really makes the finale a game changer and gives focus to a lot more.

Anyone not enjoying Blackadder gets my upmost sympathy. Especially if you find the phucking Simpsons funnier, oh dear.

I guess it takes all types?

I really tried to get into the Monty Pyton stuff. But my brain says no.
    As for Blackadder only bit I liked from it was the 'over the top' WW1 ending when it was making a serious point.

If it makes any difference I enjoyed the Mr Bean films/series!

Necro wrote: »
    Casablanca for me. Only watched it recently as I have an aversion to B&W movies but my God is it poor. Two blokes in a bar smoking and talking for the most part. Don't understand why it's held in such high regard at all at all.

Yeah I tried watching that as well stopped watching fairly quick.
    Maybe people liked the cinematography and delivery of the script?
    Of it's time maybe? Does not age well?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In general I think any Woody Allen film. He just stands around the place looking dead pan staring - close ups. Plots make no sense. After watching them I am left scratching my head where was the funny bit? Was there a point to that? Jayus! (In no particular order)

He’s a bit self indulgent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I really tried to get into the Monty Pyton stuff. But my brain says no.
    As for Blackadder only bit I liked from it was the 'over the top' WW1 ending when it was making a serious point.

If it makes any difference I enjoyed the Mr Bean films/series!

It just goes to prove my point about it taking all types.

One of my favourite Rom Coms is Annie Hall and I also love Blue Jasmin.

I find Mr Bean childish.

Everyone is different and what you like or don't like is completely up to yourself. Enjoy what you enjoy and try not to be overly influenced by online ratings or other media telling you what is good or bad. These same pedantic discussions drag out, not everyone likes spicy chicken soup either.

I cannot watch movies with Colin Farrell in them, he makes me seethe with anger he so chrap. My sisters have pickies of the twat on their wall? It happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The Big Lebowski
    Being John Malkovich

Both have very enjoyable and funny parts -
    the restaurant scene in the latter in particular
    - but I always find TBL a bit all over the place and a bit too trying hard to be quirky and BJM is frequently really irritating and just less clever then it’s trying to be.

Good films, just not great films for me.

I also was surprised at how much less I enjoyed Fight Club having watched it recently for the first time in years. It’s very far from my favourite Fincher film - Zodiac and The Social Network are jostling for that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Because the chemistry between the two main leads is absolutely out of this world amazing, they really do feel like a couple that belong together. The scene where Rick is drinking vodka after he sees her again shows a man in real pain that only loving someone could cause. 78 years old and the world still hasent made a better love story

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Greyfox wrote: »
    Because the chemistry between the two main leads is absolutely out of this world amazing, they really do feel like a couple that belong together. The scene where Rick is drinking vodka after he sees her again shows a man in real pain that only loving someone could cause. 78 years old and the world still hasent made a better love story

The scene in the bar when there is a singing 'duel' of anthems is so powerful.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,252 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Birth Of A Nation hasn't aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Roddy Doyle films. I get they were a big deal when they came out because we were never in films before, but Jesus they are so bad to look at nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Jojo Rabbit
    What the Fluck was all that about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭joeguevara

When I hear people gush about Woody Allen films I wonder is there a different set of films than the ones I watch. He attracted the top talent who clamoured to work for him, but then decided to just be irritating. It was just lazy to me. Which annoys people more is that the only exception I find is Midnight in Paris. Actually liked that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Hunger Games

If only there was ... I dunno ... a way a small group of us could give you recomendations for B&W movies that you could watch, and then come back to us and let us know what you thought of them, and rank them in some sort of order of preference, or something? :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,252 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Never saw Grease until a few years ago at an open air screening, thought it was shīt.
    Thankfully it started raining and gave me an excuse to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

smilerf wrote: »
    Jojo Rabbit
    What the Fluck was all that about

World War II

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Never saw Grease until a few years ago at an open air screening, thought it was shīt.
    Thankfully it started raining and gave me an excuse to leave.

‘Grease 2’ is far superior.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The ‘message’ in Grease is actually quite disturbing.

quickbeam wrote: »
    The ‘message’ in Grease is actually quite disturbing.

It is?

• Advertisement

It is?

Change who you are to impress the boy you like. I think that’s disturbing.

Advertisement