Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

quickbeam wrote: »
    Change who you are to impress the boy you like. I think that’s disturbing.

It is but in the realm of a fluffy musical I don't think it's a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not to mention some of the “adults” playing teenagers.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I thought it was the irony of both changing up to suit their match which was I took from the ending. Sandy ends up in a pair of raunchy leather pants and Danny going all Jock in his sports jacket?

Mega Romance imo, like a soul sacrifice.

I see Grease as being just a film. Same as Gone with the Wind and Disney stories where a woman is rescued by a man. It's odd how some people twist themselves in to knots over these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Never saw Grease until a few years ago at an open air screening, thought it was shīt.
    Thankfully it started raining and gave me an excuse to leave.

Funny.

I was a teen when Saturday Night Fever came out. I was under the impression it was just a vehicle for disco's growing popularity. I was never a part of a groupthink in musical terms but still closer to the prog rock sensitivity so, I was never interested in watching it.

I saw it last year and was surprised at the quality in scriptwriting, not an overwhelmingly great movie, but pretty decent all told.

• Advertisement

I see Grease as being just a film. Same as Gone with the Wind and Disney stories where a woman is rescued by a man. It's odd how some people twist themselves in to knots over these things.

Grease is so much more.

Grease is the time, is the place, is the motion....Grease is the way we are feeling. Grease is the word, its the word that you heard, it's got a groove, it's got a meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Funny.

I was a teen when Saturday Night Fever came out. I was under the impression it was just a vehicle for disco's growing popularity. I was never a part of a groupthink in musical terms but still closer to the prog rock sensitivity so, I was never interested in watching it.

I saw it last year and was surprised at the quality in scriptwriting, not an overwhelmingly great movie, but pretty decent all told.

It's absolutely not the film people think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Knowing (Nicholas Cage)?
    Don't think it is regarded as "great" by anyone (?!) which probably rules it out.

Jesus yeah, that was garbage, poor Nic Cage, he hasn't been in a good film since Leaving Las Vegas ...

Jesus yeah, that was garbage, poor Nic Cage, he hasn't been in a good film since Leaving Las Vegas ...

‘National Treasure’ would disagree with you there, H.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Barton Fink

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Barton Fink

As a fan of the Coens, I totally agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

‘National Treasure’ would disagree with you there, H.

Mandy !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What I’m getting from this thread is that some things have a place and time

What I’m getting from this thread is that some things have a place and time

Not unlike Breakdancing, the Rubik's cube and Lolo Balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not to mention some of the “adults” playing teenagers.

This is weird in anything, regardless.
    Olivia NJ was nearly 30 for godsakes.

Stockard Channing was 34 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Barton Fink

Underrated, if anything. No one seems to ever mention it.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Funny.

Yeah, I was put off watching it for years because I mostly hated disco. It was a far better film than I expected it to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There are days when I'd laugh at a leaf blowing but when it comes to comedy be it film, TV, stand up, the majority I don't like.
    I'll always choose a different genre.

Oddly enough I absolutely loved A Fish Called Wanda and Fawlty Towers. Along with Black Books and Father Ted they are the exceptions :)
    Maybe I'll give Python another go.

Oh do.
    Have a drop or puff and give Meaning of Life a watch.

The flying circus stuff is more for the hard core fans.

I loved Cleese in Clockwise though, remember that?

I hated Black Books (saw first season only). While similar, The IT Crowd was a million times better.

• Advertisement

I hated Rambo and pretty much most 80s film. Especially anything to do with boxing.

One flew over the cuckoo's nest was great though, as was ET.

Gone with the Wind.

Or anything from that era.

I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Naw...he has been in an awful lot of rubbish but since that he has been in some films I liked
    The rock
    Con air
    Face off
    Adaptation
    Lord of war
    Matchstick men
    Kick ass
    Color out of space
    Mandy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh do.

If you need to drink or smoke to find something funny then there's something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Just saw Invictus, does not sit anywhere near the zenith of Eastwood's catalogue.

Rothko wrote: »
    If you need to drink or smoke to find something funny then there's something wrong.

321c373c5867e8a2173684217c7d762a_400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I hated Black Books (saw first season only). While similar, The IT Crowd was a million times better.

I never got into Black Books either. But pretty much every one of my friends told me how great it was and how much they thought I would love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

milehip wrote: »
    Just saw Invictus, does not sit anywhere near the zenith of Eastwood's catalogue.

He blacks up well, a convincing South African accent too....

Rothko wrote: »

I don't think it's to make one find it funny, rather it would enhance the experience.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh do.

Clockwise rang a bell so I had to google. I haven't watched it but I do remember the box in the old 'video shop' I used to go in to when I was a child. We didn't have a vcr player for years but I loved having a look around that shop.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Advertisement