Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I was thinking about why I love the films I do. Arrival is one of my favourites and it's because it resonates on an emotional level with me. Gone with the Wind, Requiem, Brokeback, Bridges of Madison County. They all affect me.
    If they didn't connect with me in that way I'm not sure I'd think much of them, Arrival in particular.

Interesting, I don’t like any of those films. It’s probably my cold stone heart, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,973 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ace Ventura Pet Detective 2 & 3

I don’t think 2 And 3 are in the scope of this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Anything directed by Chris Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Some "people" (let's keep it polite!) have accused Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy of being overrated. Well, it's on BBC1 now and I'm watching it for about the 6th time. Without doubt, one of the best films of the past 10 years and gets better on each viewing!

It is indeed very good. The BBC miniseries from the late '70s with Alec Guinness is also well worth watching - it's on youtube. I'd have it as better than the movie actually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Batmans were grand.

Interstellar really gets my goat. Such bad SciFi. Basic stuff like how come a tiny shuttle needs a huge rocket to get off Earth but has no problem with taking off from a planet. And if time is critical for the survival of the human race why do they spend years checking out the first planet ?

And the visualisation of the black hole that looked like an old windows 95 screen saver.

Memento concept is interesting but the characters aren't. There's an Easter egg on the DVD that allows you to watch it in chronological sequence. I haven't bothered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Volver.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

quickbeam wrote: »
    If only there was ... I dunno ... a way a small group of us could give you recomendations for B&W movies that you could watch, and then come back to us and let us know what you thought of them, and rank them in some sort of order of preference, or something? :rolleyes:

:pac:

I'm actually slowly getting through that list, but boy are there some absolute turds submitted that make it even more difficult.

Besides, I'm not going first :p

Interesting, I don’t like any of those films. It’s probably my cold stone heart, so.

Probably :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

byronbay2 wrote: »
    What the hell is that supposed to mean? What is a necessary movie?

To me, everything about TTSS is spot on: the immersion in the period, the repression, the paranoia. Brilliant cast, superb script. One of the very few movies I would watch again and again. As regards overrated, as far as I know it didn't win any Oscars, which is an absolute travesty!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

What's the anger about.

I was expressing my opinion.

The story had been done before.

I didn't see anything worthy in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Necro wrote: »
    Casablanca for me. Only watched it recently as I have an aversion to B&W movies but my God is it poor. Two blokes in a bar smoking and talking for the most part. Don't understand why it's held in such high regard at all at all.

Casablanca is a timeless classic.

It has all the components of a great movie, drama, comedy, a love story, selflessness, the Nazis getting a thrashing!

For me it is full on drama, it isn't the kind of movie you could watch while being online at the same time.

Maybe there is a right time of day or day of the week for watching classics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

*Shrugs* I thought it was a steaming pile of rubbish and stand by that opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Casablanca for me. Only watched it recently as I have an aversion to B&W movies but my God is it poor. Two blokes in a bar smoking and talking for the most part. Don't understand why it's held in such high regard at all at all.

Apart from your opinion on Casablanca (which is wrong), what's your aversion to black & white movies?

Some of the greatest films of all time are B&W and you're missing out on a lot if you don't watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

I watched it for the first time recently, and while I liked parts of it, I found a lot of it to be quite bad. I definitely wouldn't rank it so highly, and there are plenty of other films from the same time period that I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The ‘message’ in Grease is actually quite disturbing.

Theres a message? It's just a trashy musical from the late 70s depicting a totally unrealistic version of the 50s. Nobody wore leather trousers in the 1950s, not even Elvis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The ‘message’ in Grease is actually quite disturbing.

I disagree. To me, Sandy at the end is just trying on a different style for size. It’s just normal teenage experimentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I disagree. To me, Sandy at the end is just trying on a different style for size. It’s just normal teenage experimentation.

The flying car was a bold move. Raised a lot of questions, and “speculation”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Engrossed tonight in Dirty Grandpa on Channel 4. It really is a pile a shight, but not as bad as the 11% awarded by Rotten Tomatoes. Mark Kermode called it the worst film of 2016 and I think any film that annoys him has to be worth a watch. Aubrey Plaza is sensational and her usual funny and witty self, she is strong actor and also very pleasing on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Mmm Danny forced her twice quite violently to have s3x and she still changed herself to try win him. The films crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Engrossed tonight in Dirty Grandpa on Channel 4. It really is a pile a shight, but not as bad as the 11% awarded by Rotten Tomatoes. Mark Kermode called it the worst film of 2016 and I think any film that annoys him has to be worth a watch. Aubrey Plaza is sensational and her usual funny and witty self, she is strong actor and also very pleasing on the eye.

Loved it. Liked the shopkeeper who was in Brooklyn Nine Nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

IAMAMORON wrote: »

It is a terrible film though and Kermode's review was epic I thought.

The scene were Zac Efron wakes up with his Grandather's dick next to him is pretty vile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Allgunssilenced with that hilariously untrue comment

Interstellar really gets my goat. Such bad SciFi. Basic stuff like how come a tiny shuttle needs a huge rocket to get off Earth but has no problem with taking off from a planet. And if time is critical for the survival of the human race why do they spend years checking out the first planet ?

Tbh, you should look into the physics behind the movie. It's all based on relativity and the three affect of a singularity (black hole). It is correct.....bar say the later scenes (no spoilers)

And the visualisation of the black hole that looked like an old windows 95 screen saver.

Ah ok, this is a wind-up.

Fair-do's

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Interstellar really gets my goat. Such bad SciFi.

And if time is critical for the survival of the human race why do they spend years checking out the first planet ?

Wasn't that an unintended consequence of the time difference on that planet caused by gravity.
    I.e. one hour on that planet equals 6 months on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The Hangover (franchise).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Fast and furious > bond

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Pretty much all of Tarantino's films. Ridiculous over the top violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Avatar. I know it was supposed to be a satire on US foreign policy and all but but just a poor sci-fi movie. Why it was nominated is beyond me, Cameron or not

'The Phantom Menace'. Star Wars.

• Advertisement

The Revenant

Advertisement