Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Pretty much all of Tarantino's films. Ridiculous over the top violence.

Nah more dialogue heavy (which is a good thing because the dialogue is nearly always great), Tarantino films really aren't all that violent, esp by today's standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

All the Spiderman movies... ever made. They are all chrap.

Except for Kirsten Dunst, she is never ever chrap, in anything.

I get that women have been terrified of creepy crawlies and spiders for centuries now. Is there a connection with such phobias and the never release of production of " SpiderWoman", I am pondering this.

I mean we got Catwoman, Batgirl ( I think ), Superwoman, etc etc. We even got that rubbish Ghostbuster from a few years ago.

Why no Spiderwoman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The Birdman, pure nonsense.

Reminded me of the emperors new clothes, one critic said it was a masterpiece and everyone followed suit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

murpho999 wrote: »
    Apart from your opinion on Casablanca (which is wrong), what's your aversion to black & white movies?

Some of the greatest films of all time are B&W and you're missing out on a lot if you don't watch them.

An opinion can't be wrong, particularly on subjective topics such as movies. Some people like a movie where a bunch of people sit around talking and nothing of note happens until the final few scenes, I don't. That simple really.

I don't really know why I'm not pushed on B&W movies, likely because there's so much media out there nowadays I can't be arsed watching something not in colour.

Loved To Kill A Mockingbird mind. Hated Schindler's List.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

dvdman1 wrote: »
    get outta that garden...casablanca is a classic, always enjoy watching it over a holiday with a glass of spirits

In 1982 a write submitted a script titled "Everybody Comes to Rick's" to 217 Hollywood agents. It was the Casablanca screenplay with the names changed but the scenes, plot and setting was the exact same. Only 31 agents read it and they all didn't recognise it or they simply rejected it. Always thought that was amusing. One of the best scripts ever failing to rouse a smidgen of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

When it was made it was expected to be a B movie, to be watched and quickly forgotten. The classic nature that it became apparently surprised everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Necro wrote: »
    An opinion can't be wrong, particularly on subjective topics such as movies. Some people like a movie where a bunch of people sit around talking and nothing of note happens until the final few scenes, I don't. That simple really.

I don't really know why I'm not pushed on B&W movies, likely because there's so much media out there nowadays I can't be arsed watching something not in colour.

I think your opinion is wrong.

To say a film like Casablanca that is generally regarded highly is rubbish just because it's not to your taste is wrong.

You could say well that's not to my taste. There are lots of films that a lot of people like and are hugely popular but are just not for me but I don't just call them rubbish.
    Films with people talking and nothing happening are clearly character driven stories and can be great.

As for B&W, you should try more.

Angels with Dirty Faces is one of my favourite fims of all time . A great story with great acting.
    Also love, Psycho, Ice Cold In Alex, Rebecca, White Heat,All Quiet on The Western Front and of course loads of Laurel & Hardy. To name but a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Apart from your opinion on Casablanca (which is wrong), what's your aversion to black & white movies?

Some of the greatest films of all time are B&W and you're missing out on a lot if you don't watch them.

WTF is up with comments like the bolded? So childish!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I disagree. To me, Sandy at the end is just trying on a different style for size. It’s just normal teenage experimentation.

"Tell me more, tell me more
    Did she put up a fight?"

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Did she put up a fight?"

Was the song literally what happened or just teenage boys big talking?

• Advertisement

Was the song literally what happened or just teenage boys big talking?

Teenage boys just asking of a bit of date rape was required. Perfectly lovely lyric.

Teenage boys just asking of a bit of date rape was required. Perfectly lovely lyric.

I think that's overanalysing it. Teenage boys often say disgusting things. The things I used to overhear in school. The humour of The Inbetweeners is based on it. I'm not sure why Grease should be judged more harshly on this score.

Harsh, and very open to interpretation.

He saved her life, she nearly drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Necro wrote: »

I was the opposite, TKA Mockingbird put me to sleep while Shindlers list blew me away, i think its by a mile the most powerful film ever made

I think that's overanalysing it. Teenage boys often say disgusting things. The things I used to overhear in school. The humour of The Inbetweeners is based on it. I'm not sure why Grease should be judged more harshly on this score.

Indeed they do. Of course, we should never challenge that. Boys will be boys and all. We should celebrate it in a lyric of a teen musical instead. Perfectly legitimate question for one lad to ask another, was the girl trying to fight you off? Cos that's normal and to be expected. Inbetweeners and humour don't belong in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Inbetweeners and humour don't belong in the same sentence.

It does, the Inbetweeners is British humour at it's best

Indeed they do. Of course, we should never challenge that. Boys will be boys and all. We should celebrate it in a lyric of a teen musical instead. Perfectly legitimate question for one lad to ask another, was the girl trying to fight you off? Cos that's normal and to be expected. Inbetweeners and humour don't belong in the same sentence.

It's not an endorsement to acknowledge that disgusting things can be said by teenage boys. Should we only portray things as we would like them to be and not as they actually are? Personally, I don't need to be insulated like that. I don't look to entertainment for moral instruction.

I found The Inbetweeners hilarious. Still do. Humour is subjective.

It's not an endorsement to acknowledge that disgusting things can be said by teenage boys. Should we only portray things as we would like them to be and not as they actually are? Personally, I don't need to be insulated like that.

I found The Inbetweeners hilarious. Still do. Humour is subjective.

Of course it is.

I don't think Grease was acknowledging that teenagers in general can grossly inappropriate in what they say and do. I think you are given the film far too much credit. It very much reflects the sexual mores and attitudes of when it was made, (late 70s) and this is reflected in the plot and the lyrics. I saw the film about 10 years after it came out (in was deemed too young by my mum to be taken to the cinema to see it and was devastated because everyone I know had seen it) . I was so looking forward to it but was so disappointed and disturbed by it.

Of course it is.

I don't think Grease was acknowledging that teenagers in general can grossly inappropriate in what they say and do. I think you are given the film far too much credit. It very much reflects the sexual mores and attitudes of when it was made, (late 70s) and this is reflected in the plot and the lyrics. I saw the film about 10 years after it came out (in was deemed too young by my mum to be taken to the cinema to see it and was devastated because everyone I know had seen it) . I was so looking forward to it but was so disappointed and disturbed by it.

Oh FFS. Alright so, better never again watch any show or film or play with flawed and sometimes morally dubious characters. Must pass the purity test. That sounds fascinating.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think your opinion is wrong.

To say a film like Casablanca that is generally regarded highly is rubbish just because it's not to your taste is wrong.

You could say well that's not to my taste. There are lots of films that a lot of people like and are hugely popular but are just not for me but I don't just call them rubbish.
    Films with people talking and nothing happening are clearly character driven stories and can be great.

As for B&W, you should try more.

Angels with Dirty Faces is one of my favourite fims of all time . A great story with great acting.
    Also love, Psycho, Ice Cold In Alex, Rebecca, White Heat,All Quiet on The Western Front and of course loads of Laurel & Hardy. To name but a few.

Is it not the point of the thread though to state movies that you think are over-rated? That's all I was doing really.

Have seen a couple of the ones you mentioned. Psycho is grand, not really into Hitchcock but I can see why it's liked. Didn't like the Laurel and Hardy one I saw, but again not massively into comedies.

12 Angry Men is the next one on my list, I've heard good things.

• Advertisement

Oh FFS. Alright so, better never again watch any show or film or play with flawed and sometimes morally dubious characters. Must pass the purity test. That sounds fascinating.

The purity test? He fuking tries tobforce himself on her, she switches her look to sex vixen to win him back and they all live happily ever after and little kids were going to see that in the cinema and singing the songs about girls putting up a fight to get a guy off her. It wasn't a thought proviking examination of the world view of current teenagers it was a lighthearted, nostalgic musical.

The purity test? He fuking tries tobforce himself on her, she switches her look to sex vixen to win him back and they all live happily ever after and little kids were going to see that in the cinema and singing the songs about girls putting up a fight to get a guy off her. It wasn't a thought proviking examination of the world view of current teenagers it was a lighthearted, nostalgic musical.

I recall the darker elements of Grease being acknowledged when I was a child and teenager. We were not allowed to do Grease as our school musical for that very reason, it was not deemed suitable for teenagers to perform. The darker elements of it were very apparent to me from a young age and it's those elements that make it such an enduring musical to me. It is very clearly so much more than just a light-hearted musical. You're not giving people much credit if you think they won't get that. It throws up a lot of questions. Good.

Of course it is.

Ah here.

Hardly makes it an overrated movie either, try and stay on topic.

I hope you managed to get through Flash Gordon so?

Wella Wella Wella , huh ?

Ah God. Have we become so sensitive that a film like Grease is offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Any and all of the Kill Bill films

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah God. Have we become so sensitive that a film like Grease is offensive?

In the ‘Greased Lightning’ scene, Travolta picks up some plastic “cling film” stuff and rubs it around his groin was a reference to condoms.

Think there was a condom scene “cut”, or left out from the musical days, and bit that was a, not so subtle, nod to that.

Saints preserve us!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

In the ‘Greased Lightning’ scene, Travolta picks up some plastic “cling film” stuff and rubs it around his groin was a reference to condoms.

Think there was a condom scene “cut”, or left out from the musical days, and bit that was a, not so subtle, nod to that.

Saints preserve us!

That was symbolising his desire to rape all women!!!!

Did she put up a fight?"

As opposed to it rhyming with " was it love at first sight?"

You really are overreaching for some outrage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Of course it is.

All art is like that, twenty years from now critics will be saying much the same about our art, that's if it's not completely sanitized to oblivion.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    As opposed to it rhyming with " was it love at first sight?"

Well, exactly. And it always struck me more as teenage bragging than what actually happened.

As for Sandy dressing like a massive ho at the end - god, when I think back to my teens, I cycled through different looks and there was definitely a “belt-for-a-skirt-with-low-cut-top” phase. And I don’t regret it for a second. It’s all just trying to figure things out.

Advertisement