Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Some "people" (let's keep it polite!) have accused Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy of being overrated. Well, it's on BBC1 now and I'm watching it for about the 6th time. Without doubt, one of the best films of the past 10 years and gets better on each viewing!

I have to say I found this movie turgid and unbelievably boring. Watched it with my dad who was a fan of the original and he thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This is going slightly off topic but all this talk about Grease, giving a representation of the 1950s, American Graffiti done this so much better, of course the difference being this wasn't a musical but it went on the span the sitcom Happy Days, when some of the cast of American Graffiti was used.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

These live-action remakes Disney are making of the old animated classics seem to fall well short. Beauty and The Beast, Dumbo etc.

The new Lion King for instance was a totally pointless project, not a patch on the original.

It reflects Hollywood in general this last decade or so, nobody has had a fresh idea in ages. Everything is remakes and reboots of old films and never ending sequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

quickbeam wrote: »
    Forrest Gump is overrated. Another one with a bad message actually.

I mean, I thought that was a given at this stage? I only ever hear people saying how cheesy it is and expressing shock that it beat both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction at the Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I have to say I found this movie turgid and unbelievably boring. Watched it with my dad who was a fan of the original and he thought the same.

bored me senseless too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This is going slightly off topic but all this talk about Grease, giving a representation of the 1950s, American Graffiti done this so much better, of course the difference being this wasn't a musical but it went on the span the sitcom Happy Days, when some of the cast of American Graffiti was used.

American Graffiti did nothing for me at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I do like 2001 myself, classic film

It can be hard work. The book is great, but the film leaves out the buts that explain what’s going on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's that word for nostalgia for a place you've never been to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wanted to like it but was bored utterly solid. An eternity of dialogue in smoke filled rooms. Great to know I wasn't alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,463 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

These live-action remakes Disney are making of the old animated classics seem to fall well short. Beauty and The Beast, Dumbo etc.

The new Lion King for instance was a totally pointless project, not a patch on the original.

It reflects Hollywood in general this last decade or so, nobody has had a fresh idea in ages. Everything is remakes and reboots of old films and never ending sequels.

But they're not over rated as they've been poorly critically received.

Thing is though people still keep paying the money to see the films so they'll keep making them, so who's to blame.

There's plenty of good films coming out though if you look outside of the blockbusters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

Greyfox wrote: »
    I think people who think this way are missing out on some of the best things life has to offer

I've tried... really I have. But it's a lost cause for me. I have a mental block when it comes to sci-fi. Tenuous story lines where writers block is probably non-existant. I just cant stomach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Dont know if its overrated per se as it seemed to be divide opinion, but Mother! was the biggest steaming pile of self indulgent shyte I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What's that word for nostalgia for a place you've never been to ?

Is it a german word, fernweh or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dont know if its overrated per se as it seemed to be divide opinion, but Mother! was the biggest steaming pile of self indulgent shyte I've ever seen.

I saw that in the cinema and hadn't a clue what was going on, didn't cop the allegory until I read about it afterwards. I actually found it an enjoyable experience just because it was so absolutely mental, and I guess I could never get bored of watching J-Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I do like 2001 myself, classic film

It's a stunning film, a total game changer and way way ahead of it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I saw that in the cinema and hadn't a clue what was going on, didn't cop the allegory until I read about it afterwards. I actually found it an enjoyable experience just because it was so absolutely mental, and I guess I could never get bored of watching J-Law.

Are we on about #theFappening ?

Indeed J-Law was pratically burnt into my screen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I'd say it was a pretty self-congratulatory production all around:

"Composer Ólafur Arnalds recounted the following story about the decision:

... he had spent a year writing the score for Darren Aronofsky's Mother! and at some point realised that the film was better with no music at all. He proceeded to convince Darren to delete everything. It takes a real, selfless artist to do that. To realise the piece is better without you. The most important part of creating art is the process, and Jóhann seemed to understand process. The score needed to be written first in order to realise that it was redundant. So in my view, mother! still has a score by Jóhann. The score is just silence ... deafening, genius silence.[16]"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd say it was a pretty self-congratulatory production all around:

"Composer Ólafur Arnalds recounted the following story about the decision:

... he had spent a year writing the score for Darren Aronofsky's Mother! and at some point realised that the film was better with no music at all. He proceeded to convince Darren to delete everything. It takes a real, selfless artist to do that. To realise the piece is better without you. The most important part of creating art is the process, and Jóhann seemed to understand process. The score needed to be written first in order to realise that it was redundant. So in my view, mother! still has a score by Jóhann. The score is just silence ... deafening, genius silence.[16]"

Wow I didn't know that, I saw Olafur live last year in London, a great artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was never going to. Even by 1916 it was scorned as material. It's still got some very good cinematic value to it and is more of a thing to study than to enjoy.

Meant as a joke.

Whoosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Clockwork Orange, scarface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A lot of people I know thought The Guard was hilarious, I found it quite average at best. Brendan Gleeson has been in much better films.

I also thought the It remake was pretty average also, and dull at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

A lot of people I know thought The Guard was hilarious, I found it quite average at best. Brendan Gleeson has been in much better films.

Thought the Guard was poor on first watch. However, I have watched t a couple of times since and definitely a film that has grown on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Liked the guard. Entertaining if not great. Was looking forward to calvalry but left the cinema with a WTF feeling. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

The Godfather
    The Irishman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Parsnips wrote: »
    The Godfather
    The Irishman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Yurt! wrote: »

Gangs of New York......absolute scutter....cliched bollocks of highest order

Titanic also a pile of ‘sh1te’.......

A clockwork orange 🊠also makes my list.....struggled through a half hour of it and gave up.....can’t see the fuss......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Gangs of New York......absolute scutter....cliched bollocks of highest order

Titanic also a pile of ‘sh1te’.......

A clockwork orange 🊠also makes my list.....struggled through a half hour of it and gave up.....can’t see the fuss......

Sacrilege.

Gangs of New York is brilliant. Great story with stellar cast and huge Irish interest.
    10 Oscar nominations in 2003.

Best Picture Oscar nomination that year, lost out to Chicago (seriously, WTF!! Daylight robbery) and Best actor Oscar nomination for DDL (He lost out to Adrien Brody) but should have probably won it that year too. (Imagine he would now have 4 best Actor statues)

Titanic and Clockwork Orange...I would have no opinion on, neither good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Inception is a shytebag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

joeguevara wrote: »
    Liked the guard. Entertaining if not great. Was looking forward to calvalry but left the cinema with a WTF feeling. Not great.

Calvary was pretty good but most of the characters in it are extremely unlikeable. Even Pat Shortt comes across as a total c u next Tuesday in it, especially the scene where he tells Brendan Gleeson that his "church is on fire" in a sneering manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭trashcan

joeguevara wrote: »

Agree on both counts. The Guard was good light hearted fun I thought, Brendan Gleason terrific as usual. Calvary I really didn't like. Worst film I've seen Brendan Gleason in. ( Looking forward to him as Trump.)

Advertisement