Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Drainage

Options
  • 02-09-2020 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for tips on garden drainage. The back garden had always been bad for water sitting on top of it and it all moves to a slight dip almost in the middle. Garden is about 8m x 10m.There's a new patio gone down at the back so no access to drains, etc. I'm not sure it that was even an option anyway.

Reading online I see a few DIY tips on it but it's hard to know what would work, I was thinking something like the attached. A few perforated pipes under the area with the issue, drained to a soakaway either side. Or even one soakaway but two might be better?

Any help appreciated. Have a week off coming up so hoping to give it a go then if I'm feeling confident it'll work. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Without seeing the area, soak hole will work as long as it can drain. It all depends on the depth of compated soil/subsoil. In new estate type gardens if you dig through the compacted soil that was the road during building you might hit more free draining soil. Or tap into an existing pipe .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Houses are about 40 years old I'd say, no idea what I'll find when I dig. Hard to know what to do. I don't want to waste time and money on something that probably won't work. If I do go ahead I'll try level the garden where the dip is, might stop all of the rain water flowing to one area which would ease the issue somewhat and then a soakhole to do the rest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

This is it wrote: »
    Houses are about 40 years old I'd say, no idea what I'll find when I dig. Hard to know what to do. I don't want to waste time and money on something that probably won't work. If I do go ahead I'll try level the garden where the dip is, might stop all of the rain water flowing to one area which would ease the issue somewhat and then a soakhole to do the rest...

Probably best approach. Remember that the water table will be very high lately due to the rain, making drainage a bit slower.

Advertisement