Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide price for full electrical inspection of 2nd hand house?

Options
  • 02-09-2020 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would it be possible to get a guide price for a full RECI / ECSSA-registered electrical contractor inspection of the electrics in a 2 up 2 down ex-council house in Crumlin?

Its in decent condition throughout.
    Standard stuff for pre-purchase inspection.

Any replies gratefully received!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭JL spark

Hi all,

Would it be possible to get a guide price for a full RECI / ECSSA-registered electrical contractor inspection of the electrics in a 2 up 2 down ex-council house in Crumlin?

Its in decent condition throughout.
    Standard stuff for pre-purchase inspection.

Any replies gratefully received!

Thanks
    4-500 plus any work needed to certify it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

JL spark wrote: »
    4-500 plus any work needed to certify it

Many thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Hi all,

RECI only. ECSSA lost their licence well over four-and-a-half years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

€500 pre-purchase seems steep. Would you not just budget for a rewire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

antix80 wrote: »
    €500 pre-purchase seems steep. Would you not just budget for a rewire?

It wont cost that for the inspection.. but yes in answer to your question I would prob be planning for a rewire in the near future to be honest
    Tks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It wont cost that for the inspection.. but yes in answer to your question I would prob be planning for a rewire in the near future to be honest
    Tks

Agreed.
    It is a pre purchase inspection, therefore no certificate required.

I wouldn't see the benefit of a very detailed inspection for this. I think this could be done for a lot less as the electrician could complete quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

2011 wrote: »

I wouldn't see the benefit of a very detailed inspection for this. I think this could be done for a lot less as the electrician could complete quite quickly.

About 5 minutes if they know what they're doing

You'll get some fellas will need all the test results before they can tell you anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Zarco wrote: »
    About 5 minutes if they know what they're doing

You'll get some fellas will need all the test results before they can tell you anything

For a full electrical inspection? You couldn't check all the light switches are working in five minutes.

In fairness the sparks still has to sign off that he inspected the house so will have to do the job properly. If the house was unoccupied for a while it will need to be certified as safe. Any issues soon afterwards will fall back on the sparks.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Is the op looking for a report or an opinion?

A periodic inspection report is a detailed inspection of the installation with a 4 page report and a test result sheet. Any serious defects and a notice of potential hazard has to be issued to the current householder. This is a time consuming process for the rec and may save the new owners a lot of money but it’ll also give them some bargaining position to negotiate a reduction if that’s their intention.

A quick look by someone may not highlight any issues at all especially if no testing is done

I agree that the age of the installation probably dictates a rewire is required shortly but if someone is stretching themselves to buy a home then there may not be funds left in the kitty so a periodic inspection report before buying is advisable.

I'm not involved in these type of inspections

The most important aspect of a brief inspection is the visual inspection which is brief

Test results mostly confirm what the visual inspection told you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Zarco wrote: »
    I'm not involved in these type of inspections

The most important aspect of a brief inspection is the visual inspection which is brief

Test results mostly confirm what the visual inspection told you

Loop impedance test
    Insulation resistance tests
    Rcd rests
    All important tests for the integrity of the installation.none of which can be verified visually. Everything can look ok but without testing there’s no way of verifying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Just get total house inspection

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Just get total house inspection

What's a total house inspection ?

Is that where they use a camera to go down the conduits?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    Is the op looking for a report or an opinion?

As it is a “pre purchase” inspection I very much doubt that there would be much involved. The OP has already indicated that he is not interested in paying €00 to €500 for an inspection. You get what you pay for. Personally I would not pay that money for an inspection of a house That someone else owns.

Advertisement