Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide price for roofing inspections of 2nd hand house?

Options
  • 02-09-2020 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would it be possible to get a guide price for a Roofing Contractor to inspect attic and roof members and flat roof on rear extension. Roof members have to be accessed by ripping out existing hardboards which are hiding them

- for a 2 up 2 down ex-council house in Crumlin?

Its in decent condition throughout.
    Standard stuff for pre-purchase inspection.

Any replies gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You want a destructive check for a pre-purchase report?
    I'd be quite surprised if any vendor agreed to that unless specific queries were raised by an initial survey.

Who pays to make good the inspection damage?
    Why would the vendor agree to such a check when the Dublin market in particular is still buoyant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Who pays will be a sticky topic but yes its been raised by survey.

Access to supporting timbers is prevented by hardboard, which is rotten in one corner - hence the concern.

Are you in the trade?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who pays will be a sticky topic but yes its been raised by survey.

Access to supporting timbers is prevented by hardboard, which is rotten in one corner - hence the concern.

Are you in the trade?

If you pay for this report, you’ll also have to pay to repair the damage and make good the areas. Could cost in the €1000’s if your talking about a few different locations again you fix, plaster, paint etc

Not a chance as a vendor would I allow this type of inspection.
    It is in no way “standard stuff for a pre purchase inspection” as you mention in your post.

Gumbo wrote: »
    If you pay for this report, you’ll also have to pay to repair the damage and make good the areas. Could cost in the €1000’s if your talking about a few different locations again you fix, plaster, paint etc

Not a chance as a vendor would I allow this type of inspection.
    It is in no way “standard stuff for a pre purchase inspection” as you mention in your post.

It is standard stuff to want to inspect the roof timbers. The 'damage' would involve removing some very shoddy hardboard and replacing them the way I found them or even better than I found them. Simple as that. Any buyer who gets a decent structural survey would be recommended to do the same.

Vendor is fine with it as long as no 'damage' done. It's not an expensive job. But thanks for the reply nonetheless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Den, Would be very interested to see how you get on, comeback to us IF you manage to do this invasive survey pre-purchase. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It is standard stuff to want to inspect the roof timbers. The 'damage' would involve removing some very shoddy hardboard and replacing them the way I found them or even better than I found them. Simple as that. Any buyer who gets a decent structural survey would be recommended to do the same.

Vendor is fine with it as long as no 'damage' done. It's not an expensive job. But thanks for the reply nonetheless.

You’ll be in the minority whereby an invasive survey is allowed pre purchase.
    In all my years I haven’t been involved in one that was allowed.

It’s not standard and far from it.

Best of luck with the process, and please update us on progress.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You’ll be in the minority whereby an invasive survey is allowed pre purchase.
    In all my years I haven’t been involved in one that was allowed.

It’s not standard and far from it.

Best of luck with the process, and please update us on progress.

I think you've misunderstood me. I said inspecting the roof timbers/ roof etc would be fairly standard. Checking their condition, moisture readings etc.

The invasive stuff not so much obviously but the seller seems reasonable and we seem to have come to an arrangement. Needless to say returning any adjustments back to the way they were would be a condition of that! To be honest it likely be an improvement...

PS...just to point out that this 'destructive' stuff we're talking about here is basically removing some nails and taking back a couple of pieces of crappy old hardboard, then replacing them when done with some quick readings and visuals.

Its not exactly taking a sledgehammer to the place :)

But perhaps i wasn't very clear

Advertisement