Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Barista Express

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How often should I be descaling the machine if I have hard water? If it's expensive to repair or parts are difficult to get I want to make sure I maintain it for a long lifespan.

Depends on how hard it is, but I know Breville/Sage recommend once a month, which is likely overkill. You could probably get away with once every couple if you're regularly backflushing and cleaning the shower screen.

Believe there's a cleaning light indicator that lights up solid when the machine says it needs to be descaled, but I wouldn't be too reliant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Do people think this will drop to £350 for Black Friday? Looks like that's what it was last year on CamelCamelCamel

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

CWF wrote: »
    Do people think this will drop to £350 for Black Friday? Looks like that's what it was last year on CamelCamelCamel

I bought mine around black friday last year. From memory it was around that price a week or so before. Then went back up to around 390 for black friday. I was raging. I waited another week and it went back down. Moral of the story is that black friday will not always be cheapest. If you see the price you, want go for it.

dubstepper wrote: »
    I bought mine around black friday last year. From memory it was around that price a week or so before. Then went back up to around 390 for black friday. I was raging. I waited another week and it went back down. Moral of the story is that black friday will not always be cheapest. If you see the price you, want go for it.

Yeah it think it went to £365 on Amazon, couldn't see DID or Harvey Norman. matching that

I did a good bit of research and DID or HN never came close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

This year Black Friday would be different to the last year
    IMHO . Huge demand on coffee gear due to COVID 19.

alec76 wrote: »
    This year Black Friday would be different to the last year
    IMHO . Huge demand on coffee gear due to COVID 19.

Yeah that's true I never thought of that, so you think there could be less sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Brought the internal burr back to 5, pulling shots far too quick and the grind was like sand. Going from 6-7 on the dial to 1 made no difference, same with internal burr 4. Think I'll go straight to 2 and see what's what.

I still think something is off that I need to be 1 with the internal burr and 1-2 on the dial. Every video I watch is 4-5 on the internal bur and might need to bring the dial down to 4-5.

Internal burr on 5, the lowest grind settings was giving me nearly 30g of coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How often should I be descaling the machine if I have hard water? If it's expensive to repair or parts are difficult to get I want to make sure I maintain it for a long lifespan.

I'd say all the time, can just buy the equivalent descaler any time on amazon for cheap so why not.

Having heard the nightmares re fixing these and the fact scale makes your coffee poor - really you should be filtering your water before adding to the tank. Otherwise your machine will be knackered in no time.

On the extraction front - I had loads of issues until i got the right beans - for a cheap test try (Slumber jack from supervalu - look for bags with best expiry - 6.99 for 500g) - they should give decent pressure with a 9 grind, dose set to 2 beyond the half way mark and solid tamp.

Anyone found big improvements on adjusting the volume/weight out.

The BE seems to focus on giving 60ml (well closer to 60g) espresso for about 18g of beans. Yet all over online the 1:2 or 1:3 seems to be the obsession.

Have the grind, tamp etc giving me perfect pressure on a few coffee types. But just wondering what the negative effect is on running too much water through it.

If nobody has any info might just give it a whirl and write off a bag of beans

• Advertisement

The Black Sesame version is €499 on Velo.ie
    However I have heard that it chips easily when compared to stainless steel? Anyone have the black sesame that can offer their experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

The Black Sesame version is €499 on Velo.ie
    However I have heard that it chips easily when compared to stainless steel? Anyone have the black sesame that can offer their experience?

Just pulled the trigger on this. Saw them side by side in HN the other day and preferred the black finish. Quality seemed excellent, hope it holds up well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Just pulled the trigger on this. Saw them side by side in HN the other day and preferred the black finish. Quality seemed excellent, hope it holds up well!

Nice one. You don't waste time. I'm hoping it drops to at least 400 pounds on amazon.

Nice one. You don't waste time. I'm hoping it drops to at least 400 pounds on amazon.

I thought about waiting until good Friday, but the lowest it's ever been was around £360 I think. I can't imagine it will drop that much given the current demand. If it did I'd be a little bit sick but I'm happy to pay a few extra quid to shop Irish!

Best of luck hope you get your hands on one!

I thought about waiting until good Friday, but the lowest it's ever been was around £360 I think. I can't imagine it will drop that much given the current demand. If it did I'd be a little bit sick but I'm happy to pay a few extra quid to shop Irish!

Yeah I was thinking the same about shopping Irish, good on you. Cheers. Enjoy the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

When do you think that may happen Black Friday ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Anyone found big improvements on adjusting the volume/weight out.

The BE seems to focus on giving 60ml (well closer to 60g) espresso for about 18g of beans. Yet all over online the 1:2 or 1:3 seems to be the obsession.

Have the grind, tamp etc giving me perfect pressure on a few coffee types. But just wondering what the negative effect is on running too much water through it.

If nobody has any info might just give it a whirl and write off a bag of beans

Not sure if you know but it is possible to program the shot pour amount and to adjust the boiler temperature in +/- 2 degrees increments.

It's in the manual

Marty Bird wrote: »
    When do you think that may happen Black Friday ?

Yeah that's the hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

You'll be waiting a while for Good Friday to come around :D

I was thinking the same though, wonder what deals will be on Black Friday, I'd imagine with shops closed all over the world there should be some very good online offers this year...

• Advertisement

DilD wrote: »

I was thinking the same though, wonder what deals will be on Black Friday, I'd imagine with shops closed all over the world there should be some very good online offers this year...

DOH! Good spot. Yeah there might be some good deals to be had! I'm happy to pay a little more to buy Irish like I said. Got a personal email today thanking me for the business, obviously means a lot to them in these times!

Can't see them going any lower than 400 pounds given the demand for them at the minute anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mine arrived today. Stowed until Christmas Day. Can’t wait to use it!

fits wrote: »
    Mine arrived today. Stowed until Christmas Day. Can’t wait to use it!

Nice one. Where'd you get it? Stainless version?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nice one. Where'd you get it? Stainless version?

No the black truffle went down to £399 a couple of weeks ago. Offer was posted in this thread but only available a short time. Anyway I went for it. Was 448 euro on Cc.

As I mentioned above, it was a good price week or so out from Black Friday and I waited. It went up by £30 on black friday, but was still cheaper than everywhere else. I waited a couple of weeks and it came back down again.

DilD wrote: »

Last few years only seen 30 quid of the Barrista Express - sells too well i suppose

Have seen some of the Breville machines (seems sage name is dead as breville brand showing on same machines now in curries) on sale. As they're the same don't worry about focusing on the sage name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone got any tips for me, Im using the express and usually turn it on for bout 10 minutes before using to allow heat up.
    All is well untill it comes to steaming the milk. Originally I was placing the wand tip at the top of the milk for about 20/25 seconds and was happy with the microfoam ect, but the past week something seems up with it.

I could leave the wand at the tip for 40/50 seconds before dropping to heat up (which also seems to be taking an age all of a sudden) and I'm still getiing a watery texture on the milk. If you try to make a second latte after the first then it tends to be even worse.

The machine in only a few weeks old, always clean and purge the wand ect and no issue with the actual steam coming out, Im wondering if its something boiler related or if its actually the norm for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I would say it is milk related.
    In WINTER time not every milk suitable for frothing.
    No difference in summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for me, Im using the express and usually turn it on for bout 10 minutes before using to allow heat up.
    All is well untill it comes to steaming the milk. Originally I was placing the wand tip at the top of the milk for about 20/25 seconds and was happy with the microfoam ect, but the past week something seems up with it.

I could leave the wand at the tip for 40/50 seconds before dropping to heat up (which also seems to be taking an age all of a sudden) and I'm still getiing a watery texture on the milk. If you try to make a second latte after the first then it tends to be even worse.

The machine in only a few weeks old, always clean and purge the wand ect and no issue with the actual steam coming out, Im wondering if its something boiler related or if its actually the norm for everyone else?

Change milk brand and only full fat. See if it makes a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Will try that, i only ever use premier dairys full fat but will try another brand and see how it goes

Advertisement