Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help maintaining mobile broadband signal

• 02-09-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I'm looking for some help or suggestions, my head is wrecked with my mobile broadband.
    We have always had very poor broadband less than 1mbps, I got sick of complaining to three and got an external antenna last year and have had a year long battle to get a good signal.
    Last weekend I put the antenna on to a 15ft pole and put it up against the end of the house, I was delighted to find a signal that was around 20mbps, I left the pole up all weekend and we had brilliant broadband. But Sunday night it dropped back down to 1mbps I played around the settings on the router changing to say 4g only and it came back.
    But since then it comes and goes, it does seem to be worse with windy weather. Is there any way of keeping the antenna locked onto the signal, would putting the antenna higher help?
    I'm a three customer but my nearest mast is Vodafone which the antenna is pointing at, is it latching onto that mast even though its a different provider.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

fennor72 wrote: »
    I'm looking for some help or suggestions, my head is wrecked with my mobile broadband.
    We have always had very poor broadband less than 1mbps, I got sick of complaining to three and got an external antenna last year and have had a year long battle to get a good signal.
    Last weekend I put the antenna on to a 15ft pole and put it up against the end of the house, I was delighted to find a signal that was around 20mbps, I left the pole up all weekend and we had brilliant broadband. But Sunday night it dropped back down to 1mbps I played around the settings on the router changing to say 4g only and it came back.
    But since then it comes and goes, it does seem to be worse with windy weather. Is there any way of keeping the antenna locked onto the signal, would putting the antenna higher help?
    I'm a three customer but my nearest mast is Vodafone which the antenna is pointing at, is it latching onto that mast even though its a different provider.

This is what Three broadband is; intermittent. Every few weeks I also need to reboot the router if it takes too long to come back when @ 0Mbps. I also wired any device that not going to be moved using ethernet cable, its a great solution to the wifi headaches especially TV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

This is what Three broadband is; intermittent. Every few weeks I also need to reboot the router if it takes too long to come back when @ 0Mbps. I also wired any device that not going to be moved using ethernet cable, its a great solution to the wifi headaches especially TV's.

Does the additional devices not slow down the router, I've the smart TV wired up, with a security camera and with the kids on the WiFi it does cause buffering.
    I fixed the antenna as high as possible on the end of the pole and will see how long the signal is good for.
    It does seem to be that the higher I can go the better the signal. But you are right about the signal being intermittent I don't think there is a way around it, we will just have to accept it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your antenna is directional then you need to aim it at your network, pointing it at VF is not wise. Its possible they're colocated but use Siteviewer to confirm.

ED E wrote:
    If your antenna is directional then you need to aim it at your network, pointing it at VF is not wise. Its possible they're colocated but use Siteviewer to confirm.

Yes it seems it was a mistake pointing it in that direction, I fixed the pole to the end of the house yesterday, and pointed the antenna to the nearest 3 mast.
    I have tried in the past to get any kind of a signal from that three mast but never could. The height of the antenna obviously helped because I got great speed from it yesterday.
    It has stayed there and is stable, but I'll see what it's like in bad weather.
    But so far so good

• Advertisement

Does the additional devices not slow down the router, I've the smart TV wired up, with a security camera and with the kids on the WiFi it does cause buffering.
    I fixed the antenna as high as possible on the end of the pole and will see how long the signal is good for.
    It does seem to be that the higher I can go the better the signal. But you are right about the signal being intermittent I don't think there is a way around it, we will just have to accept it

I don't have them all on / using at the same time, 3broadband is definitely not for multi-family usage as the throughput is too low. The alternative is to have two networks, as in two routers, two separate sims one for kids one for yourselves. It works out fairly well for us.

I don't have them all on / using at the same time, 3broadband is definitely not for multi-family usage as the throughput is too low. The alternative is to have two networks, as in two routers, two separate sims one for kids one for yourselves. It works out fairly well for us.

We are doing the same, my wife had to take out a package with eir, because she was working from home and couldn't depend on three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Could I please check with you if you're getting good enough speed from Eir 4g mobile broadband?
    We are doing the same, my wife had to take out a package with eir, because she was working from home and couldn't depend on three.

Could I please check with you if you're getting good enough speed from Eir 4g mobile broadband?

Speed on eir is between 1 to 3 mbps, in one particular area of the house.

@fennor72, Curious to know what internal router you have connected to the 4G outdoor antenna and what brand/model is the antenna. Could be helpful to improve our throughput another 10 - 20 Mbps by adding the right external antenna. Also any got yeas or missing components with what you bought..

• Advertisement

@fennor72, Curious to know what internal router you have connected to the 4G outdoor antenna and what brand/model is the antenna. Could be helpful to improve our throughput another 10 - 20 Mbps by adding the right external antenna. Also any got yeas or missing components with what you bought..

The router is a huawei b525, I don't know what make the external antenna is, last summer we got someone to improve our signal, he installed the external antenna I've now been using.
    It seems my set up is fine, it was the direction and the height of the antenna that was causing the problem, since I put the antenna on a pole up on the roof, the signal and speed have stayed strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

This is what I have works great no hassle with smart tv tablets ect and i can play the xbox on my own connection.

I have gomo and 3 sim in two routers with home plugs to the xbox.3 network for all the updates and gomo for tvs tablets

Advertisement