Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11 year old bitch with a 1 year old male.

• 03-09-2020 7:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Im considering taken a male 1 year old labradoole as owner hasnt time for him.I have a ****zu X 11 years who is the apple of my eye but my feelings is she is too old for the upheavel of having another dog in our home.Any advise please?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I've recently rehomed a 2 year old male shih tzu (3 months ago) - i also have an 11 year old female shih tzu!
    Like you, she's the baby of the house and has been her whole life so we were concerned as to how to change would make her feel and the last thing i wanted was for her to feel pushed out.
    To be honest, having the younger more lively dog, has put a spring in her step and a sparkle in her eye!
    I won't say that she loves him or anything, she only just tolerates him - he constantly antagonizes her, she constantly puts him in his place and they do that at least twice a day - it concerned me at the start, now i just leave them to it.
    He ADORES her, and when she gives out to him, he looks so hurt and upset by it haha, all the poor sod wants is for her to love him!!!

Just make sure the oldie gets attention she is used to and make sure she gets everything first i.e. dinner bowl put down first, treats first etc and i'm sure all will work out well!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My biggest concern here is the size disparity. Assuming he's a full sized doodle, there can be problems allowing a big dog to mingle freely with a small dog, and that's when the smallie is in the flush of youth.
    Big dogs can very easily inadvertently hurt a smallie during play.
    They can also easily, and often inadvertently, overawe a smallie during play and other interactions such as mealtimes, interactions with owners, visitors arriving etc.
    Sometimes, the above is not inadvertent, but quite deliberate on the part of the big dog.
    It is also surprisingly more common than you'd think, that "predatory drift" occurs between big dogs towards smallies, whereby a scenario arises that the small dog does something to flick a predatory switch in the big dog's head, resulting in harm being done to the smallie.
    So, there's quite a lot to consider, and to potentially be concerned about in this situation. A lot will depend on the doodle's temperament and demeanour towards the smallie. If he's very respectful and calm with her, then you've something to work with. However, if he's a rambunctious eejit (most doodles are :D) you need to proceed with caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

could you maybe take him for a trial period and see how they mingle

its very hard to know how this will peter out at 12 months hes just about going out of mad puppy hood

I have a friend who got a new golden retriever as his old boy was getting on 11y and slowing down a lot

after the pup arrived he was like a 2yo again and lived to the ripe old age of 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thank you ill consider all the above posts:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

I have a now 12 year old small terrier and a large 3 year old collie and they adore each other.
    He is very respectful of her size and will lie down to play while she bounces on his head and neck. I have a great time watching them together

• Advertisement
Advertisement