Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker houses refugee

Options
  • 03-09-2020 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

World renowned average football player Gary Lineker has 'announced' he's going to house a refugee.

Gary Lineker who is on a salary at the BBC that makes old people in the UK cry not least because they can't afford the annual licence fee, has not given any indication as to how long he is going to house the refugee for.

Neither has he indicated if this is a one-off occurrence of if he intends to take in multiple refugee's, whether he'll take them singularly or in groups, or for how long. I think he could take in a few at the same time, as his garage is bigger than my apartment.

Has there ever been a better argument to defund the BBC. Own goal if you ask me.

I think he should be sacked immediately for this politicking.

https://news.sky.com/story/gary-lineker-reportedly-set-to-welcome-a-refugee-to-live-in-his-home-12062112

edit: added source

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is he not allowed do as he wishes with his money and his house?
    Why does his actions upset you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

What does the BBC and his salary have to do with anything?

Someone with a few quid not being a cu*t tends to get certain people annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

AllForIt wrote: »
    Has there ever been a better argument to defund the BBC. Own goal if you ask me.

Yawn. More cancel culture bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The makings of a great sitcom there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

World renowned average football player Gary Lineker has 'announced' he's going to house a refugee.

Gary Lineker who is on a salary at the BBC that makes old people in the UK cry not least because they can't afford the annual licence fee, has not given any indication as to how long he is going to house the refugee for.

Neither has has indicated if this is a one-off occurrence of if he intents to take in multiple refugee's, whether he'll take them singularly or in groups, or for how long. I think he could take in a few at the same time, as his garage is bigger than my apartment.

He’s been signal virtueing about getting one for ages now, has he actually taken one in? Or is he just doing a Lily Allen on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

kenmm wrote: »
    Yawn. More cancel culture bollocks.

It's health an safety gone mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

He’s been signal virtueing about getting one for ages now, has he actually taken one in? Or is he just doing a Lily Allen on it??

He's been what now? :D:D

The absolute best argument for 'defunding' the BBC is that it removes a reasonably neutral news source and opens the gate to allowing more commercial news sources that can have their message better controlled.

That is a clear argument for doing it and it's obvious to anyone that's what is desired by the current powers that be.

Nothing to do with Gary, refugees, playing politics by shifting the goal posts on over 75s paying for it or any of the other **** to do with licence fees or bias or whatever other bs is out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hardly average given that he played at the very highest level (Barcelona) and even won the golden boot in the 86 world cup.

I wish the Ireland team had a couple more 'average football players'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

And sh!t himself on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I suggest Bono should follow suit.

Give us all a bleedin rest

DubInMeath wrote: »

So you're a cu*t now if you dont house a migrant. Thats a very high bar. Have you taken one in yourself?

I suggest Bono should follow suit.

Give us all a bleedin rest

Bono should go live with Lineker? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Putting that Walkers money to good use

DubInMeath wrote: »
    So you're a cu*t now if you dont house a migrant. Thats a very high bar. Have you taken one in yourself?

Lol that's a good twisting of words right there

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I wonder what spur-red him on.

In fairness, maybe he's just hired a foreign cleaner?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe it's Gemma O'Doherty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

He was the top goal scorer at the Mexico World Cup in 1986. He scored more goals than the greatest footballer in the world ( Diego Maradona to the uninitiated ). He won the golden boot, with a broken wrist it is worth adding.

He also was never ever booked or cautioned by a referee in a professional football match at any level. EVER.

Give the dude a break ffs.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He was the top goal scorer at the Mexico World Cup in 1986. He scored more goals than the greatest footballer in the world ( Diego Maradona to the uninitiated ). He won the golden boot, with a broken wrist it is worth adding.

He also was never ever booked or cautioned by a referee in a professional football match at any level. EVER.

Give the dude a break ffs.

Big time.

Ye need to go out your way a bit to have a grudge against Lineker.

'World renowned average football player' - I wonder how many times that was written and re written for 'comedic' effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

he certainly is allowed to spend his cash as he sees fit.

But there is a lot more to this , for years he would use his platform to lecture everybody else on taking in refugees - which are mostly migrants and not even close to a refugee.

With his wealth and status (and fair play to him for his money) he and his family won't be accessing the same services or housing as the migrants he champions . That type of reality check is only for the commoners. When in his position it's easy to lecture.As a result I believe him to be a w@anker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Allinall wrote: »
    Its a Syrian slangword

Allinall wrote: »

It was early!!!! :D:D:D

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hardly average given that he played at the very highest level (Barcelona) and even won the golden boot in the 86 world cup.

I wish the Ireland team had a couple more 'average football players'

Barcelona who finished 2nd, 6th and 2nd while he was there. They were in a rut while Lineker was there. Cruyff came back in 88 and built the dream team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Chudwick Boseman

A week later and the refugee is gone after a 'cultural misunderstanding' between him and Lineker's wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

World renowned average football player Gary Lineker

Lineker was class. The fact you called him average sets up the rest of your nonsense nicely.

You sound very bitter!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lineker was class. The fact you called him average sets up the rest of your nonsense nicely.

You sound very bitter!

Yep. Lineker was one of the best strikers in the world for almost 10 years. His goalscoring record was unbelievable. Scored 40 in one season at Everton and then left for Barcelona.

How he spends his money is his own business

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

AllForIt wrote:

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

World renowned average football player Gary Lineker

I stopped reading after that. You obviously haven't the first clue about football.

• Advertisement

ollkiller wrote: »
    I stopped reading after that. You obviously haven't the first clue about football.

It's all about the ego trip, not the football.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement