Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching LL over considerable no. of repairs

Options
  • 03-09-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into rented accomodation at end of last month, with help of others in this forum. When we moved in, there was an issue with the electrical sockets and LL said he'd fix them soon. Since then, he's rearranged the repair man 3 times with us.

I've since noticed a number of issues including toilet leak, venetian blind cords broken, oven grill doesn't work and has burnt metal stuck to it and there's a smell of pee/ammonia from the carpeted sitting room. I've emailed him with issues apart from carpet as it's only starting to annoy me today. Some of these problems I could've spotted at the viewing, but admittedly I was desperate to get a house.

I understand that if I raise an issue with landlord, they've some obligations to respond, but he's keeping me on long finger and it could be into the end of September before someone does come in to fix the issues. I really want to get the smell out of carpet soon as it's very distracting during work (WFH). As a LL, have you ever had request from tenant to change from carpet to wood flooring? Also, if tenant sourced repairs themselves and deducted from rent after waiting over a month for repairman, would that annoy you?

Trying to make the house comfortable, can't see how previous tenants lived with the smell and leak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

previous tenant presumably had cat or cats plural, and was immune to the smell of cat piss.

Personally reasonable to ask/demand remedy for all of that. Probably just get like replaced with like though, i.e. crap carpet exchanged for newer crap carpet, though no harm in suggesting to split the difference for some wood flooring if you can be involved in the quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

previous tenant presumably had cat or cats plural, and was immune to the smell of cat piss.

Personally reasonable to ask/demand remedy for all of that. Probably just get like replaced with like though, i.e. crap carpet exchanged for newer crap carpet, though no harm in suggesting to split the difference for some wood flooring if you can be involved in the quotes.

I think they'd dog perhaps, management companies bans dogs/cats but have already met neighbours puppy peeing in the elevator. I hoovered couch and one pillow turned upside down with piss stain and white dog hairs. Smell at carpet beside door is worst and I see some yellow stains that don't exactly match shade of off-beige carpet so assume dog was wanting a slash and waiting at door for them to come back.

I wouldn't mind a newer carpet either, though it looks new enough so presume he'll be hesitant to swap it out. I put some cleaner down on it this morning and it smells bearable now but could drive me spare over next few months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As a LL, I’d rather the tenant approach me about the issues.
    Even if there substantial you can agree a time line.

This month fix this, next month fix that. Starting with the most urgent so it won’t seem like you are asking the LL to outlay all at once.

But as a LL, I’d rather know about the issues sooner than later.

Advertisement