Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

kippy wrote: »
    What do you mean by "responsibly"?
    I can guarentee you it means different things to different people.

-Guidelines and money being released earlier than they were so as to ensure the safest possible environment
    -Phased reopening which would allow time to address issues that arise before everyone is fully back.
    -Address the lack of a remote learning infrastructure by implementing a hybrid learning model (this will address the need to continue education for those who are medically vulnerable, become ill, need to quarantine, and also reduces the massive class sizes we have here)
    -Sorting out the issue of a lack of sub teachers and using SN teachers inappropriately
    -Establishing a school specific testing and tracing service through the HSE which would help minimise disruption and spread of the virus.
    -I personally think older primary school students should wear masks also.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

kowloonkev wrote: »
    For me the main thing is that every child should be wearing a mask. It's a no brainer if they wanted the reopening to have any chance of success.

You do realise that primary school aged kids would be touching their mask, touching their eyes thus rendering a mask useless

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

For me the main thing is that every child should be wearing a mask. It's a no brainer if they wanted the reopening to have any chance of success.

Masks...for the love of Jesus some clutching these things like rosary beads.

A lot of people might just be sick of listening to an unelected government wearing blinkers imposing draconian rules on them. Curtailing life and possibly doing more harm than good to the population at this stage. IMO.

Unelected? They were elected. And if it's this STUPID SF won the election lie again, SF are full square behind NPHET, at least for the sheep that voted for them. Not for the party elite of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive said it earlier in the thread that NPHET haven't a clue what they are doing.
    This lockdown of Dublin and blaming it on the pubs / restaurant industry doesn't make any sense.
    I don't know one single person that contracted covid from a restaurant or pub.

Howvere theres been 13 out breaks in schools. Here in Kildare yesterday we had a school close. My daughters school has a possible case which god knows how many people its going to spread to.

The decision to keep schools open at all costs which is what is driving these restrictions is whats going to destroy this country.

That decision needs a rethink.

'outbreaks in schools' implies that the virus is transmitting widely in schools, do you know this? There are people attending schools who get the virus causing their class to be sent into isolation as a precaution, this is not an outbreak.
    There is a great deal of fact free comment.

• Advertisement

We flattened the curve with no masks - in fact we were advised NOT to wear them. Now they are the holy grail, so much so that people are giving up on handwashing and social distancing. Kids will swap masks and the whole lot. A complete waste of time. I'm not sure they are actually benefitting adults either when you see so many people wearing them in idiotic ways.

What worries me more is that large swathes of the health service is still shut down. So many "heroes" are literally twiddling their thumbs on full salary.

People on Twitter attacking Leo about the cervical cancer scandal, yet since this pandemic started, NO ONE has been tested for cervical cancer. That's one small example. Thousands of people are going to die of preventable illness.

No one is talking about this. It's all COVID, COVID, COVID.

The HSE management has been an utter failure on this.

Aside from the economic disaster and the crazy levels of spending and borrowing going on at the moment. No one really talking about this either. You need lots of money to run a health service. 17.5 billion a year here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What worries me more is that large swathes of the health service is still shut down. So many "heroes" are literally twiddling their thumbs on full salary.

People on Twitter attacking Leo about the cervical cancer scandal, yet since this pandemic started, NO ONE has been tested for cervical cancer. That's one small example. Thousands of people are going to die of preventable illness.

Aside from the economic disaster and the crazy levels of spending and borrowing going on at the moment. No one really talking about this either. You need lots of money to run a health service. 17.5 billion a year here.

Careful now with your facts on here.

Just shut up and do what the elected government NPHET say!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

From 5 up? For 6 - 8 hours a day?
    What happens to those kids that dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

From 5 up? For 6 - 8 hours a day?
    What happens to those kids that dont?

It's a piece of fabric not an iron lung

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It's a piece of fabric not an iron lung

You've obviously zero experience with 5 year olds.
    Or indeed school.
    What kind of example are kids getting outside the school environment when swathes of the adult population refuse to wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

More lies https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/cervical-screening/cervical-screening-coronavirus.html

Large swathes of the health service shut down :rolleyes:

MadYaker wrote: »
    The amount of BS people spout to suit their own agenda is unbelievable.

I know for a fact the health service were diagnosing and treating plenty illnesses during the pandemic. I was engaged myself with this back in late march and early April.

That's not to say that reduced services were in place in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The amount of BS people spout to suit their own agenda is unbelievable.

I know for a fact the health service were diagnosing and treating plenty illnesses during the pandemic. I was engaged myself with this back in late march and early April.

That's not to say that reduced services were in place in other areas.

I don't understand it. Where are people getting their info from? They just have random thoughts which then get mixed up in their heads with facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Over 600k on hospital waiting lists now, up from 500k last year, good chance a lot of these will die but it’s ok as long as they don’t die with Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Over 600k on hospital waiting lists now, up from 500k last year, good chance a lot of these will die but it’s ok as long as they don’t die with Covid

Shh.

The narrative man, the narrative. I suggest you go home and turn on some RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I think the real problem isn't so much from NPHET they've been fairly consistent overall in their approach but it's rather a combination of crap communication from Mehole who has generally had a tendancy to be snarky and combatative unlike Leo who basically tells it as it is without always looking like hes bullshíting them and general exhaustion from the public.

Let's face it were looking at up to roughly 2 years of this, the rest of the year is a write off, Halloween will likely not happen in a traditional sense this year, christmas could certaily be a very different event and more low key expecially if there's another surge and into next year were looking at likely the first half of 2021 being a write off, Paddy's day likely will be very small and an expected general rollout of a covid vaccine could be during the middle of next year at best, we'd still have to get widespread innoculation of the population to achieve a herd immunity effect that would choke out this virus.

It's the hard truth that it's going to be that long and guelling slog that depresses people, the lenght of time that is realistically involved and makes them píssed off and irritable, I had trips to Canada planned myself but they're all write-offs, I dont even expect that border to reopen till next year even. Not being able to see family over there also is somewhat annoying but what else can we do exactly? End of the day this virus kills certain groups indiscriminately and it breeds quickly in the likes of enviroments like pubs and that no matter how much we hate to hear it.

All we realistically can do is take what ever precautions we can and limit our interactions with other's till a vaccine is finally rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Careful now with your facts on here.

Just shut up and do what the elected government NPHET say!

What exactly do you want to happen, seeing as you're an expert.

Go on, enlighten us.

What exactly do you want to happen, seeing as you're an expert.

Go on, enlighten us.

The government to take responsibility and to govern. You know? What they were elected to do by the people as per the constitution.

Not just to become rubber stampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Another day of rising cases but no deaths. 241 in Dublin. Wouldnt be surprised if they extend the lock down. Cases trend has been going up since mid July.

• Advertisement

The government to take responsibility and to govern. You know? What they were elected to do by the people as per the constitution.

Look it's pretty obvious the government aren't just rubber stamping what NPHET advise. What do you think the government should do?

The be frank about it, there are some areas that really need to be sorted out. Testing and tracing being one, availability of ICU and beds in general being the other.
    We've had six months to move things into place to at least start to work towards improving those things. Things that would make increases in numbers easier to manage and indeed reduce.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Another day of rising cases but no deaths. 241 in Dublin. Wouldnt be surprised if they extend the lock down. Cases trend has been going up since mid July.

Won't be extended until further figures start to come through in two weeks. Hopefully in two weeks the result of the current Dublin lockdown will be coming through which should mean a reduction in cases from there.

Look it's pretty obvious the government aren't just rubber stamping what NPHET advise.

Really?

https://www.thejournal.ie/further-coronavirus-measures-dublin-5206971-Sep2020/

You still wanna go with that?

Yeah I do.
    You've no idea what you are talking about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Won't be extended until further figures start to come through in two weeks. Hopefully in two weeks the result of the current Dublin lockdown will be coming through which should mean a reduction in cases from there.
    We should start to see something within a week - mean time, I believe, is 5 days from infection to displaying symptoms. Add on two days for testing and hopefully we'll get a bit of a picture.

You say you want them to govern but they (and I) would argue that that is exactly what they are doing - taking the advice of real experts in public health, not know-it-alls on the internet.

So what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I suggest people look at the health failings and look at the day jobs of NPHET.

I suggest people look at the health failings and look at the day jobs of NPHET.

So who should advise the government on these matters?

So who should advise the government on these matters?

Seemingly randomers on the internet is the correct answer.

Who would be a public servant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Seemingly randomers on the internet is the correct answer.

Who would be a public servant...

NPHET advised the government to send untested elderly patients from Hospitals to nursing homes to free up beds and subsequently brought the virus into Nursing homes en masse..
    NPHET allowed visitors into Nursing homes without restrictions against HIQA advice well into the pandemic
    HPHET didn't introduce testing in Nursing home staff until over 1000 nursing home residents had died.
    NPHET advised government to allow Italian Rugby Fans come to Ireland when the epidemic was low here and high in northern Itlay.
    NPHET didn't advise Government to cancel St Patrick's day Parades or close pubs until public pressure made them cancel and close themselves.

NPHET have never admitted any wrong or apologised for anything.

Why does anyone still trust NPHET?

Advertisement