Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

NPHET advised the government to send untested elderly patients from Hospitals to nursing homes to free up beds and subsequently brought the virus into Nursing homes en masse..
    NPHET allowed visitors into Nursing homes without restrictions against HIQA advice well into the pandemic
    HPHET didn't introduce testing in Nursing home staff until over 1000 nursing home residents had died.
    NPHET advised government to allow Italian Rugby Fans come to Ireland when the epidemic was low here and high in northern Itlay.
    NPHET didn't advise Government to cancel St Patrick's day Parades or close pubs until public pressure made them cancel and close themselves.

NPHET have never admitted any wrong or apologised for anything.

Why does anyone still trust NPHET?

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

NPHET advised the government to send untested elderly patients from Hospitals to nursing homes to free up beds and subsequently brought the virus into Nursing homes en masse..
    NPHET allowed visitors into Nursing homes without restrictions against HIQA advice well into the pandemic
    HPHET didn't introduce testing in Nursing home staff until over 1000 nursing home residents had died.
    NPHET advised government to allow Italian Rugby Fans come to Ireland when the epidemic was low here and high in northern Itlay.
    NPHET didn't advise Government to cancel St Patrick's day Parades or close pubs until public pressure made them cancel and close themselves.

Thanks for the list captain hindsight.

What would you do in your expert opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

People still trust NPHET because they are petrified.

Someone on the main thread spoke about how the choice is contract a deadly disease and die, or take a chance on a rushed vaccine and live.

Bizzare stuff knowing what we now do

Hindsight? Did you like the rest of us hear about the deaths in Italy in February/March the elderly were most at risk and the least protected. Hospital beds emptied into nursing homes no test. One would imagine an awareness of future outcome is a feature of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Captain Hindsight?

These points have been put to members of NPHET before but they prefer to say that 'no-one should be blamed'.

Other countries that made similar f* Ups (Tengell- Sweden's Tony H) and Macron (France's Leo/MMM) have publicly apologised for similar mistakes in strategy.

Meanwhile here NPHET say that no-one should be blamed and Government hide and say they were just being guided by NPHET.

• Advertisement

Captain Hindsight?

These points have been put to members of NPHET before but they prefer to say that 'no-one should be blamed'.

Other countries that made similar f* Ups (Tengell- Sweden's Tony H) and Macron (France's Leo/MMM) have publicly apologised for similar mistakes in strategy.

Meanwhile here NPHET say that no-one should be blamed and Government hide and say they were just being guided by NPHET.

Systematic failure. ;-)

Systematic failure. ;-)

The problem that I have is that NPHET's f**k Ups have subsequently shaped government strategy and the public's fear of the virus, yet no one blames them.

It's like a serial killer reporting on their own murders and blaming someone else.

The problem that I have is that NPHET's f**k Ups have subsequently shaped government strategy and the public's fear of the virus, yet no one blames them.

It's like a serial killer reporting on their own murders and blaming someone else.

Control the narrative ,write the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

T I N F O I L.

T I N F O I L.

Go on then, dispute any point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's funny that 2 of your statements never included 'advised'
    1. Visitors didn't bring covid into nursing homes
    2. NPHET can't introduce testing into nursing home staff, they could advise against it or advise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

kippy wrote: »
    So who should advise the government on these matters?

At this stage I would prefer the ECDC to provide the broad policy advice. I would cede sovereignty to a pool of International experts.

However, that is not going to happen and the new senior officials oversight group is the next best step but NPHET members leaking to the media and providing background briefing is not how a public servant should act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Philip Nolan needs to be more careful on Twitter. Some of his tweets I’d view as inflammatory & IMO could lead to people taking a F you attitude & breaking the restitutions.

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Philip Nolan needs to be more careful on Twitter. Some of his tweets I’d view as inflammatory & IMO could lead to people taking a F you attitude & breaking the restitutions.

The tweets I saw were to justify the position to close restaurants and food pubs. I also thought it was very defensive and has now raised questions on whether restaurants and pubs should be open outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

The tweets I saw were to justify the position to close restaurants and food pubs. I also thought it was very defensive and has now raised questions on whether restaurants and pubs should be open outside Dublin.

The one I had in mind was the one where he said if you’re questioning the decisions the government must make are you doing so to hold them to account or for your own agenda? Very political I thought from a non politician.

The ones about the restaurants I saw read to me like look we think thats where it’s spreading but very don’t have the resources to prove it. If you are doing to shut down an entire industry you need to do a bit better than that.

I’d have to qualify that by saying I’d never sign up for the job but he needs to be careful about how he cones across.

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    The one I had in mind was the one where he said if you’re questioning the decisions the government must make are you doing so to hold them to account or for your own agenda? Very political I thought from a non politician.

The ones about the restaurants I saw read to me like look we think thats where it’s spreading but very don’t have the resources to prove it. If you are doing to shut down an entire industry you need to do a bit better than that.

I’d have to qualify that by saying I’d never sign up for the job but he needs to be careful about how he cones across.

Yes that is very political. But also a signal of group think - anyone who questions their view must have a vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah I do.
    You've no idea what you are talking about.

Did you even read the headline? :rolleyes:

"Government will 'act on' any NPHET recommendations".

That's not governing.

The government's job is take advice on board and weight everything up. The need for possible possible restrictions and the damage that restrictions can do to people's health and to the economy which we need to fund our health system.

I said the government wasn't governing and was rubber stamping what NPHET recommended.

This is obviously true.

Or are you saying the Justice Minister is a liar or that the journalist made up her quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You do realise that primary school aged kids would be touching their mask, touching their eyes thus rendering a mask useless

Of course that would happen but it would still be better than no masks. Let the teachers worry about enforcing it and making it a habit. Most kids will follow the rules if the teacher has created a good classroom environment.

I think it would help to prevent the spread as masks have been proven to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Zebra3 wrote: »

That's not governing.

The government's job is take advice on board and weight everything up. The need for possible possible restrictions and the damage that restrictions can do to people's health and to the economy which we need to fund our health system.

I said the government wasn't governing and was rubber stamping what NPHET recommended.

This is obviously true.

Or are you saying the Justice Minister is a liar or that the journalist made up her quotes?

Do you actually listen to what any of them are saying? Multiple politicians have said on radio and tv that they are aware of the effects on the economy. But you don't care, in your opinion all the restrictions are nonsense being imposed on us for no reason whatsover and you know better than all the doctors and scientists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

My primary age kids wear a mask properly just fine- plenty of practice over the summer.

• Advertisement

While the meat factories are allowed to run amok the NPHET have no faith from me.

We went a month here in Waterford without a single case and we're now on the doorstep of Level 3. All because of a meat factory.

I'll continue to wear my mask and limit contacts, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Very well said. Also seems like they like being wheeled out on media as the experts. Egos are very easy grown in that environment, they’ll be reluctant to let that go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Because they're the public health officials so they must be trusted, they've more knowledge than you ever will

You and all the other donkeys that thanked this utterly ridiculous post need yer heads checked because none of you have a single ****ing brain cell between the whole ****ing lot of you

Because they're the public health officials so they must be trusted, they've more knowledge than you ever will

You and all the other donkeys that thanked this utterly ridiculous post need yer heads checked because none of you have a single ****ing brain cell between the whole ****ing lot of you

They must be trusted?
    Not so long ago DeGauscan was saying masks were not effective one example.
    You should temper your angry aswell, not good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Of course that would happen but it would still be better than no masks. Let the teachers worry about enforcing it and making it a habit. Most kids will follow the rules if the teacher has created a good classroom environment.

I think it would help to prevent the spread as masks have been proven to do so.

personally i dont want my children wearing a mask to be a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Once again, blind obedience. If they regularly explained their reasoning, and said reasoning was sound, you'd have a point. They don't do that though, it's all framed in general terms, with no specifics standards being explained. You can cry all you like about how the other side are stupid, but your side is simply sucking on the tit of authority, with no care about how the authority is performing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Zebra3 wrote: »

That's not governing.

This is obviously true.

When you say you want them to govern, what you really mean is that you want them to ignore the advice of their experts.

You know better yeah?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do you actually listen to what any of them are saying? Multiple politicians have said on radio and tv that they are aware of the effects on the economy. But you don't care, in your opinion all the restrictions are nonsense being imposed on us for no reason whatsover and you know better than all the doctors and scientists.

The government has clearly stated that what NPHET say, goes.

NPHET do not take damage to the economy into their recommendations.

When you say you want them to govern, what you really mean is that you want them to ignore the advice of their experts.

You know better yeah?

The stats are there for everyone to read on how "dangerous" the virus is.

Nobody expects any government to ignore any expert medical advice.

What people want is balanced, informed decisions being taken by our elected government.

The government has clearly stated that this is not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

copeyhagen wrote: »
    personally i dont want my children wearing a mask to be a habit.

Why not?

Advertisement