Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Dempo1 wrote: »
    No NPHET hasn't and infact, my only surprise is its taken a week of shocking numbers for someone to wake up. Eamonn Ryan's interview yesterday just proved how out of touch he and his colleagues are, "I'm confident Dublin and Donegal will return to level 2 and the rest of the country nice and dandy', hours later Michael mc Grath says the opposite followed by NPHET" s recommendations at an unplanned and urgent meeting.

The nonsensical County restrictions a joke and not working despite the spin, Kildare and offaly as bad as ever and Saturday nights shocking scenes in Tullamore were 300 cars and their occupants decided to have a get together in the Aldi car park proves few are takining this seriously, it was outrageous behaviour.

The HSE too are absolutely terrified their abjact incompetence is coming to the fore and that Spoofer, Paul Reid has proven time and time again, he's full of crap.

It will be a brave government to go against Public health advice and as unpalatable as it may be a targeted and Full lockdown required to get this debacle under control. I just hope Leo and his cohorts will just shut up for a few weeks and stop the constant and disgraceful underming of NPHET and indeed the government he freely entered into.

Eammon makes most sense When he is asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The biggest problem is that we have nobody willing to make the themselves unpopular. 6-8weeks back government were willing to give Gardai powers to close down house parties and respond to complaints of people or business misbehaving. However those that shout loudest and civil liberties groups complained. If we had done that 6-8weeke ago we have slowed down the **** show. It s bit of commonsense is needed.

If the bar owner want his business to stay open he needs to limit numbers and spread them out.

If the restaurant wants to stay open exactly the same.

If the sport organisation want to carry on having people at games they need to get the 200 people who attend a match to spread out not sit or stand on top of each other.

The government cannot be expected to sort everything. The college's encouraging students back with limited college hours to fill college accommodation.

Government can only give guidance and advice it up to people who run business and organisations to actually enforce/follow the guidelines.

Simon Harris can hardly go into every pub and make sure people socially distance

Micheal Martin cannot be at every GAA match socially distance.

Eamon Ryan can hardly be running around Galway after students.

It time people accepted responsibility and that the Gardai be given powers to stop the **** show that is going on in places

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

GarIT wrote: »
    Poor family planning if they don't have the income to support it. Wanting to live in a place they can't afford, not being willing to commute like the working people that house themselves and/or being unemployed when we have almost 100% employment.

...and what's your expertise and experiences in these matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Orlando2019

The cases went from 1,000 per day to 6. It did work.

But that's exactly the point, whats the point to to bring from 1000 to 6 if you're letting it all go to hell again ?
    Another lockdown how long will it take for the cases to drop again and how long for yet another resurgence, for how long will this game be going on for ?
    When there will be no more jobs and the coutry will be bankrupt and thousands on the streets will it be worth,
    This will all bring just more protests from people, just remember people are people not animals you cannot contain and silence them..
    Its like piling up all the leaves from in your front yard just to let the wind blow it all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Poor family planning if they don't have the income to support it. Wanting to live in a place they can't afford, not being willing to commute like the working people that house themselves and/or being unemployed when we have almost 100% employment.

I've a feeling you haven't really thought about your entire argument.

How's your weekly shop going ? With all those workers bused into the square tallaght from offaly to fulfil your daily food eating requirements.

I think you'd have faired a tad differently during lockdown if your own views were implemented.

Have you heard of the butterfly effect . Or perhaps a stone in a pond creates ripples.

What's the alternative?

Let people get it ? Apart from older, vulnerable and obese people who should take extra precautions. The VAST majority of those getting it now are not being hospitalized . Deaths are between 0-3 a day . Cancer deaths are 1 per hour , why is nobody shouting about that ?

My daughter who is 7 months pregnant got Covid 2 weeks ago along with her husband and her mother and father in law who are 60. All are fine, most had extremely mild symptoms, none of them even had to see a doctor, all worked remotely throughout ! THIS is the reality for most getting Covid now.

Those is hospital are older , more obese, or have other health conditions. This is fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

listermint wrote: »
    Living ? I presume. Having a job where your on a lower amount of pay. You know the jobs that need doing. The same jobs that funnily enough are keeping the country going through covid. Front line work , factory and food work, shops.

All those people. They got themselves into that situation ergo they don't deserve a roof over their heads.

It like the pandemic has ... Brought things into perspective.

Low hanging have been got

This time it will be MNC, Banks etc that will be caught

Downscaling, 10% of workforce gone etc will be the scene now

WFH brigade be prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Living ? I presume. Having a job where your on a lower amount of pay. You know the jobs that need doing. The same jobs that funnily enough are keeping the country going through covid. Front line work , factory and food work, shops.

All those people. They got themselves into that situation ergo they don't deserve a roof over their heads.

It like the pandemic has ... Brought things into perspective.

Pre pandemic there were more jobs than people looking and there wasn't anywhere in Ireland that you couldn't house yourself within commuting distance on minimum wage. The problem is if you look after yourself you'll probably have to take a bus at some point but that's not good enough for the rest of us.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...and what's your expertise and experiences in these matters?

The same as anyone on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

NPHET is mainly made up of the leadership in the HSE and Department of Health with a few experts thrown in (and not world class experts). These are the same people who have mismanaged the health service despite getting billions of funds each year (we have been throwing money at health for 15 out of the last 20 years).

The fact that they had the dressing room for so long is the miracle.

This this and this. These lads are incompetent fools with large salaries paid by the taxpayer. Of course they don’t care about the economy. Why would they? They have their snouts closest to the trough,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

theballz wrote: »
    Your GF’s sisters, housemates GF needs to wake the f**k up - what an irresponsible fool.

Couldn't believe the story when I heard it. Moronic doesnt even begin to describe. We should have on the spot fines of €100 for non compliance to the public health guidelines.

Pre pandemic there were more jobs than people looking and there wasn't anywhere in Ireland that you couldn't house yourself within commuting distance on minimum wage. The problem is if you look after yourself you'll probably have to take a bus at some point but that's not good enough for the rest of us.

None of that is factual. And if people can't afford to commute to your local shopping centre then there is no staff.

Your penultimate race to the bottom has holes in it. Ones that readily impact you and you don't even know it.

Low paying jobs are a reality of you having your higher paid job. There is direct causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They were a lame duck months ago. There was an exaggeration of the projected numbers originally. There was no curve flattened despite their recommendations and measures brought in. Then when things eased off, it looked like they massaged the figures to keep pubs closed. A nice little spike before an announcement, then it tailed off.

It is extremist nanny state nonsense from a power drunk bunch of dweebs.

So a person on minimum wage could afford a mortgage or rent, and afford all of the other critical things?

The same as anyone on boards.

So fcuk all then

But that's exactly the point, whats the point to to bring from 1000 to 6 if you're letting it all go to hell again ?
    Another lockdown how long will it take for the cases to drop again and how long for yet another resurgence, for how long will this game be going on for ?
    When there will be no more jobs and the coutry will be bankrupt and thousands on the streets will it be worth,
    This will all bring just more protests from people, just remember people are people not animals you cannot contain and silence them..
    Its like piling up all the leaves from in your front yard just to let the wind blow it all over again

Because the cases go up based on how many there already are, not just a fixed number. If there are 6 cases, in a month there will be 24, 6 X 2 X 2 = 24, Vs where we are now ~500 X 2 X 2 = 2000 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Haven't we done this once already and it didn't work?
    It seems to me we're back to ground zero..
    I think that they are repeating the same mistake again,
    Lockdown again bring the economy to another halt, will it really work ? As long as the airports remain open there will always be cases imported, and especially if schools are to remain open then the virus will be passed from one household to another ,have you seen kids adhering to social distance rules, of course they're just kids you can't expect them to.
    I think the options are simple
    (A) do a lockdown until the virus is completely eradicated.
    (B) don't do one at all and fallow Swedens exaple
    All this ups and downs, open and closed lockdowns will only bury this country deeper and deeper.

But it did work. It was never meant to extinguish covid entirely.
    Nor will this one (whatever level they call it). It was always going to play out like this, lockdown, relax, rise in cases, rinse and repeat until a vaccine sometime in 2021 hopefully. Surely nobody thought one lockdown was going to be enough and we’d be back to normal ?
    It’s a total jolt to our western way of life and thinking and all our conveniences that we take for granted, but what’s the alternative ? Shielding the 40% of society that are vulnerable won’t work, we’re far too social a people and inevitably the guard will be dropped and letting covid run wild will overwhelm the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Orlando2019

Because the cases go up based on how many there already are, not just a fixed number. If there are 6 cases, in a month there will be 24, 6 X 2 X 2 = 24, Vs where we are now ~500 X 2 X 2 = 2000 per day.

So let me get something straight ,
    Do you Agree with NEPHET ?
    Whats your entire view?
    May I ask if you are and employed person with others dependent on your income ?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

we are testing more and less hospital addmittions time around but still using the first lockdown comparison dispite better treatment and staff being more experienced rush to lockdown
    dublin never got a chance to open proper so their was no promised reward for the first severe lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

reg114 wrote: »
    I think if people are looking to take their anger out on anyone it should be the Gov and not NPHET heres why :

The only reason we lockdown down at all was to prevent person to person interaction which reduces transmission and potential for cases and hospitalisations. The key word here is hospitalisations.

Ireland has the lowest number of hospital beds and the lowest number of ICU beds in the OECD, thats the lowest of 43 countries. If there is no lockdown the hospitals will be swamped to the point of collapse especially the ICU facilities.

The fact we have such a low number of hospital beds is purely down to successive governments not prioritising effective healthcare spending. This has nothing to do with NPHET.

If Ireland had sufficient Bed numbers AND a proper test, track and trace system that gave results same day as testing we would not have to lockdown the country.

Flaws in the system an our approach to Covid are purely down to failure by our government to invest in healthcare over many years in this country. NPHET's responsibility is to advise the gov on strategy to reduce the impact of the virus based on the parameters the gov gives it and this includes numbers of available beds in hospitals.

Unfortunately, the spending is there. It is the inept mismanagement of that spending that has the health service in the mess it is in, and has been in for years.

I've a feeling you haven't really thought about your entire argument.

How's your weekly shop going ? With all those workers bused into the square tallaght from offaly to fulfil your daily food eating requirements.

I think you'd have faired a tad differently during lockdown if your own views were implemented.

Have you heard of the butterfly effect . Or perhaps a stone in a pond creates ripples.

I'm having trouble keeping up with the replies directed at me. And need to get working. But in Tallaght specifically there were rooms to rent for 400-500 a month pre lockdown. From there you can commute to virtually anywhere on the south side of Dublin within an hour. I'm sure there is a similarly cheap area on the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Could you even make an attempt to disguise your utter contempt for those in low paid work? Also as an FYI Ireland's housing market is dysfunctional. My partner and I earn over €100k per year between us and have saved a sizeable deposit and we still can't afford a decent sized family home that isn't more than 40 mins from our workplaces.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the spending is there. It is the inept mismanagement of that spending that has the health service in the mess it is in, and has been in for years.

....and not forgetting the rent seeking behaviour from the private sector elements of the service.....

I'm having trouble keeping up with the replies directed at me. And need to get working. But in Tallaght specifically there were rooms to rent for 400-500 a month pre lockdown. From there you can commute to virtually anywhere on the south side of Dublin within an hour. I'm sure there is a similarly cheap area on the north side.

Up market and modern, I'm sure!

They were a lame duck months ago. There was an exaggeration of the projected numbers originally. There was no curve flattened despite their recommendations and measures brought in. Then when things eased off, it looked like they massaged the figures to keep pubs closed. A nice little spike before an announcement, then it tailed off.

It is extremist nanny state nonsense from a power drunk bunch of dweebs.

Looks like it got fairly flat there in the middle to me.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Up market and modern, I'm sure!

It does me fine. If you want upmarket and modern minimum wage jobs probably aren't the ones to be looking for.

almostover wrote: »
    Could you even make an attempt to disguise your utter contempt for those in low paid work? Also as an FYI Ireland's housing market is dysfunctional. My partner and I earn over €100k per year between us and have saved a sizeable deposit and we still can't afford a decent sized family home that isn't more than 40 mins from our workplaces.

You've to buck up buckoo and get back to college and get that masters masters. Make better choices. Your above average wages aren't good enough. Yada yada. Go live in the street.

The pandemic will sort itself out with all of those high paid folks who made good choices down the line or something something something.

So let me get something straight ,
    Do you Agree with NEPHET ?
    Whats your entire view?
    May I ask if you are and employed person with others dependent on your income ?

I think many things have been mismanaged, but in general we do need a lot tighter restrictions to bring cases down. There may be a viable alternative but yeah in general I agree.

Not sure how it's relevant. I'm employed with no dependants, by choice because I decided I couldn't afford them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

reg114 wrote: »
    I think if people are looking to take their anger out on anyone it should be the Gov and not NPHET heres why :

The only reason we lockdown down at all was to prevent person to person interaction which reduces transmission and potential for cases and hospitalisations. The key word here is hospitalisations.

Ireland has the lowest number of hospital beds and the lowest number of ICU beds in the OECD, thats the lowest of 43 countries. If there is no lockdown the hospitals will be swamped to the point of collapse especially the ICU facilities.

The fact we have such a low number of hospital beds is purely down to successive governments not prioritising effective healthcare spending. This has nothing to do with NPHET.

If Ireland had sufficient Bed numbers AND a proper test, track and trace system that gave results same day as testing we would not have to lockdown the country.

Flaws in the system an our approach to Covid are purely down to failure by our government to invest in healthcare over many years in this country. NPHET's responsibility is to advise the gov on strategy to reduce the impact of the virus based on the parameters the gov gives it and this includes numbers of available beds in hospitals.

The key word is effective investment. Successive governments have invested more than enough but the health system seems to a black hole for money.

The HS unions block reform/changing work practices so the health care staff staff who allow them to represent them and block reform on their behalf should have a look at themselves.

Advertisement