Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

walshb wrote: »
    Have you any idea how elections and democracy and govt forming works here in Ireland?
    Pre March 2020 of course I knew how elections and democracy worked, that's why I get out and vote in a G.E.
    Now I'm not sure what 'democracy' means.
    edit: I noticed this quote in the post after this one, our ELECTED Government haven't a clue whats going on it appears.
    but I think a lot of people were shocked last night (including government by the sounds of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've a feeling that's where a lot of the discontent is coming from. A large number of people are incapable of being told no and they are now commencing with the stomping of feet.
    The discontent for a lot of people was captured in a good piece by Fergal Bowers this morning - it's about the messaging, not the message.

We have all this rigmarole about the Covid levels, and would counties go to 3 or not, and then suddenly (out of the blue seemingly) we are told that everyone must go to 5 immediately.

Maybe NPHET have been discussing this for weeks, but I think a lot of people were shocked last night (including government by the sounds of it). I'm not disputing NPHET's decision, but either something has completely changed in the medical situation over the weekend or there could have been a better job done preparing the country for this decision.

Oh and whoever leaked this - I have no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

walshb wrote: »
    And..?

What has this got to do with a claim that this government was not elected?

Was explaining how even if you don't get people to vote for you as their first choice(who they want elected) then you can get elected by multiple vote transfers from others....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Was explaining how even if you don't get people to vote for you as their first choice(who they want elected) then you can get elected by multiple vote transfers from others....

Ok,

So no issue then. Elected they were..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

Good for you. I’ll go with What the medical experts recommend.

If I wanna know where Jim Corr buys his tinfoil hats, I’ll call you.

For your information, there are lots of medical experts out there who agree with what I am saying, and they are not afraid to speak publicly and show their faces. However, we only know of two guys in this NPHET group. Who are the rest of the supposed experts?

As for your jibe about me being a "tinfoil hat", it does tally with the responses of those lefties who, when faced with strong arguments against the government line, just resort to throwing their toys out of the cot and calling people right wing or conspiracy theorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

so much for living with covid , yet we close the country and hide away for the numbers to decrease , then open back up and close again , its a complete shambles

as somebody rightly said , the HSE have squandered Billions over the years on sub-standard health system , look at the new hospital , it will be the most expensive in the world but yet we are a country of abour 6 million , its a joke

hence why we don't have the facilities to deal with covid in hospitals etc , yet when this pandemic does end , they will not learn any lessons to be able to deal with this in the future

this is more damaging to peoples mental health than any cases we have had or deaths , and our kids will end up paying for the debts and recession we will enter over the fools in parliament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Lockdown is a blunt tool, perhaps it does more damage than good.

Asian countries track phones and operate hyper local lockdowns. We have the technology here to do that today day, but the government feel locking down the country, suspending medical care and making a third of the population unemployed Proctects our civil liberties better.

I for one am happy to cede a little data privacy in return for keeping the country open.

We have an app that can be expanded, make it mandatory to use it to check into all indoor activities, shops, restaurants etc. If you come in close contact issue an alert to isolate to the phone, if the phone is found to be outside it’s geo fence the use gets fined.

It's a false equivalence you have there - "In Asia, they are extreme so where we are now to where we could go would still be way less than Asia". Also, it's not a case of locking down or extreme Big Brother tracking. This is the sort of braindead black-and-white thought process I feel is endemic in our public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tenzor07 wrote: »

So yes, we effectively elect the least disliked people rather than the most liked.

I think it works well, keeps us in the center with a pull towards left or right depending on which is larger instead of pushing towards both extremes at the same time and leaving all reason behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gifted wrote: »
    When this pandemic first occurred NPHET were out and advising a lot of precautions which people actually took notice of....just recently I've noticed more and more people that I talk to are saying they're taking no more notice of NPHET as they just seem to be repeating the same warnings as before...hygiene...social distancing...etc....and just seem to be going through the motions now at these briefings they give.

Have they lost the attention of the people?

you should aim higher in life

Humilde wrote: »
    For your information, there are lots of medical experts out there who agree with what I am saying, and they are not afraid to speak publicly and show their faces. However, we only know of two guys in this NPHET group. Who are the rest of the supposed experts?

As for your jibe about me being a "tinfoil hat", it does tally with the responses of those lefties who, when faced with strong arguments against the government line, just resort to throwing their toys out of the cot and calling people right wing or conspiracy theorists.

Click on Expert Group Membership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I wished Holohan well when he had his personal issues, but to comeback and reccomend the whole nation goes back into level 5, skipping level 3 and 4 , might work for him and his well paid other doctors, but for people living day by day on no money, worried how to pay next months rent , it has pushed me and I'm sure others over the edge - then telling the very people people we are supposed to be protecting its ok to act as normal , I'm so angry and depressed with the running of this country by this unelected body - I am not young myself, so what must the young themselves think - We are not New Zealand, the virus is in the country , we have opened the schools, so why not protect the vulnerable and go back to that idea of actually living with the virus.

What is the plan re the lockdown? It didn't work first time around, what makes them think it will work this time when the schools are open and kids can transmit the disease to each other and their families? Is this a herd immunity strategy by another name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Humilde wrote: »
    . However, we only know of two guys in this NPHET group.

The members of this group is readily available information. If you only know of 2 members of this group after 7 months of this virus, then you obviously have not spent much time looking to see whether their qualifications or Knowledge are sufficient to justify their membership.

Which in turn tells me you don’t actually give a sh1t about it, and only care about your own opinion.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The spike in mental health will never come close to the numbers of sick and dead that unchecked covid will bring. How good will it be for mental health if loads more die.

I am sick of people using mental health to push political agendas

What is the plan re the lockdown? It didn't work first time around, what makes them think it will work this time when the schools are open and kids can transmit the disease to each other and their families? Is this a herd immunity strategy by another name?

This has already been answered. How didn't it work? The cases went from 1000 per day to 6 per day. We flattened the curve before it got out of control. There is no vaccine yet, it will keep coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The spike in mental health will never come close to the numbers of sick and dead that unchecked covid will bring.

There is no agenda at work. We've all been affected to a greater or lesser extent by it. Look at yourself! Were you like this before COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is no agenda at work. We've all been affected to a greater or lesser extent by it. Look at yourself! Were you like this before COVID?
    Meow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

thebaz wrote: »
    I wished Holohan well when he had his personal issues, but to comeback and reccomend the whole nation goes back into level 5, skipping level 3 and 4 , might work for him and his well paid other doctors, but for people living day by day on no money, worried how to pay next months rent , it has pushed me and I'm sure others over the edge - then telling the very people people we are supposed to be protecting its ok to act as normal , I'm so angry and depressed with the running of this country by this unelected body - I am not young myself, so what must the young themselves think - We are not New Zealand, the virus is in the country , we have opened the schools, so why not protect the vulnerable and go back to that idea of actually living with the virus.

Medics are typically conservative and importantly only see the world through their area of specialty.

For example, dermatologists who spend their lives treating skin cancers won't ever give advice about sensible sun exposure despite the overwhelming evidence of its benefits.

NPHET are only looking at Covid numbers, mental health issues(and example being a huge increase in teenage eating disorders), cancer screening/treatment( I think about 30k diagnoses a year) etc and all the other non medical societal issues aren't on their agenda.

Our mess of a health system does limit their options in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ultimately as depressing as it is the simple truth is we had the virus supressed but in order to keep it supressed it requires the kind of long term sacrifice that quite a few people aren't willing to accept. On top of that we got careless people who aren't taking the virus seriously enough and not social distancing when they should be or downright ignoring the advise and having bloody parties and making the issue worse and don't get me started on the pig ignorant shít peddling ratlicker brigade who's entitre agenda is concentrated idiocy and stupidity.

All the blame on the island towards NPHET might make one's ego feel a bit better but if the fact's are pointing towards another lockdown because numbers are rising dangerously then people will have to deal with this, the virus doesn't give 2 shít's about what anyone thinks it's either contain this thing or it runs rampant along with all the collateral damage involved. Whining about it wont do anything.

The NPHET plan appears to be permananently put Ireland into lockdown or threat of lockdown until about next April , when summer and maybe a vaccine arrives. Do NPHET really think ther will be no cases in 4 weeks, leaving the schools and airports open ?
    They might drop , so we will go to level 4 , then go up again , as the young (and not so young) get bored have house partys and cases inevitable rise, and we go back to level 5 , yo yoing this throughout winter. This is what NPHET consider living with virus is. By Spring our economy and people well being will be totally ****ed, but that is another problem , that the secure doctors of NPHET have not thought about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The spike in mental health will never come close to the numbers of sick and dead that unchecked covid will bring. How good will it be for mental health if loads more die.

Me too. Too much of that mental health nonsense, this is life or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NPHET tried a flex move on the government by leaking it to RTE and just before the 9pm news. These guys are driving far too much outside of their lane. They are treasonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

NPHET tried a flex move on the government by leaking it to RTE and just before the 9pm news. These guys are driving far too much outside of their lane. They are treasonous.

treasonous :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No one elected those who are running the country.

I must have missed that coup d'etat.

saabsaab wrote: »

So too is mental health , people die from suicide and addiction and alooholism - tell people suffering from it that it is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Shhhh you're not allowed to mention reality to some people on this thread. According to them this is all a hoax and complete scare mongering. Noticeably none of these people are doctors or medical experts. But will tell people that those 1,000 deaths a day in Italy in March either won't happen here because it isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is or should happen because "the economy".

Given the sentiment in this thread (which will be partly reflective of sentiment in the real world) I predict a significant increase in the next two months with the hospitals overrun.

Overwhelming of the hospitals is the only thing that will wake people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

fook of with that

you don't think there is more people suffering with mental health over this than actually cases ???? get in the real world pal

people working all week to be then essentially locked up in their houses for weeks on end , and that's not gonna create mental health issues ?

this country has never done anything right , why would it start now ?

717 died in August by cancer , 33 by suicide , 82 by car accidents , and 4 or 5 by covid , sure lets all pedal the covid narrative , no numbers are being reported for other ailments etc , or how many are covid free etc

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Has something seriously taken a turn for the worst since last Thursday? I was expecting that we would be escalated from level 2 to 3 but what justifies going from level 2 to level 5 within 72 hours as I do recall that on Thursday last NPHET came out to say there was no reason to escalate the country to level 3.

Maybe its just me as I am not a medic but am I missing something here when only trying to apply commonsense to the whole thing about levels and the living with the virus strategy that you would incrementally progress through the levels one by one and likewise when unwinding back down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The stats and figures are there.
    The virus took off through the second week in September when the virus had gone through the schools.
    Glynn and Nolan were unprofessional because they were only happy to tell the public and politicians what it was they wanted to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

But it's not really, is it? It's a very slight risk for the vast majority, which many are happy to take it seems.

Both sides need some perspective on this.

I'm doing my bit and following the guidelines (no wild or crazy parties, haven't been to a pub etc) and plan to keep doing so, but the dramaqueens are damaging the effort, not enhancing it, I now have 2 less neighbors thanks to the relentless downer, fine that some have the mental resillience to push on but we need to also recognize there's another death toll happening.

Advertisement