Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

The members of this group is readily available information. If you only know of 2 members of this group after 7 months of this virus, then you obviously have not spent much time looking to see whether their qualifications or Knowledge are sufficient to justify their membership.

Which in turn tells me you don’t actually give a sh1t about it, and only care about your own opinion.

OK. Lets go there. I'm sure there are other posters here who are interested to know also who these people are. I've only ever seen two guys on the TV, Holohan and Glynn. Although I have just googled NPHET, and discovered that it is made up of a layer of sub groups. Each subgroup seems to be led by one person, with the rest of that subgroup remaining nameless as far as I can see. I also notice that all of these people are currently in the employ of the State, meaning that they wouldn't like to be seen not to be toeing the line. One grouping which jumped out straight away was that of behavioural change. Isn't it amazing that the NPHET feels the need to have a full subgroup of people to tell it how to manage the publics behaviour. Just shows you what we are dealing with. I would suggest that if your message was supported by evidence, then you wouldnt need to worry about whether the great unwashed would follow you or not. Read below:

Behavioural Change Subgroup of NPHET
    A Behavioural Change Subgroup of NPHET was established on 18th March 2020. Secretariat is
    provided by the Department of Health.
    There is a dedicated webpage available at: https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/3008f6-the-nationalpublic-health-emergency-team-nphet-covid-19-subgroup-be/
    Chair: Ms Kate O’Flaherty, Head of Health and Wellbeing, Department of Health.
    Date Established: 18th March 2020
    Date of First Meeting: 18th March 2020
    Mandate: Ireland’s National Action Plan in response to COVID-19 recognises how, as a society, we
    must all adopt behaviours that enable us, as a society to interrupt transmission.
    The most important actions we can all take, and sustain, are those related to hand washing, respiratory
    hygiene and social distancing, as well as following the most up-to-date public health advice on how to
    manage infection and self-isolation. In addition, the Plan recognises the importance of building and
    maintaining solidarity, community spirit and resilience across the population for the duration of the
    national COVID-19 response.
    Behavioural science can provide vital insights and evidence to support communications and other
    interventions required to drive and sustain behavioural change, as well as respond to emerging
    concerns, including misunderstanding or non-adherence to public health guidance and message
    fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

fook of with that

you don't think there is more people suffering with mental health over this than actually cases ???? get in the real world pal

people working all week to be then essentially locked up in their houses for weeks on end , and that's not gonna create mental health issues ?

this country has never done anything right , why would it start now ?

717 died in August by cancer , 33 by suicide , 82 by car accidents , and 4 or 5 by covid , sure lets all pedal the covid narrative , no numbers are being reported for other ailments etc , or how many are covid free etc

Where did you get the 33 by suicide stat? Seeing as this particular stat is only reported on an annual basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

fook of with that

you don't think there is more people suffering with mental health over this than actually cases ???? get in the real world pal

people working all week to be then essentially locked up in their houses for weeks on end , and that's not gonna create mental health issues ?

this country has never done anything right , why would it start now ?

717 died in August by cancer , 33 by suicide , 82 by car accidents , and 4 or 5 by covid , sure lets all pedal the covid narrative , no numbers are being reported for other ailments etc , or how many are covid free etc

There hasn't been that many road deaths. We have less than 200 a year, we don't have 82 in a month. The statistics won't be released until next year. And road deaths have probably dropped dramatically without people driving at night nearly as much.

A nobody twitter user with no medical background but knows an "insider source" said there were 33 suicides in August and this was shared 185,000 times.

How many would have died by cancer anyway? It's not good but can we stop or reduce it?

and yes, only 22 people died of COVID-19 in August. Are you sure we should be judging how bad it could get on our best months?

So on that basis, given all of your numbers are made up and wrong I will assume everything you say to be nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How far off are your experts and modelling if on Thursday you recommend no other county needs to go to level 3 but then on Sunday you say "no we need to go to level 5 for 4 weeks countrywide".

Did we just give up on localized lockdowns? When it worked in Kildare, Laois and Offaly. If Dublin or another part of the country is not responding to 3, go to 4. Places with small incidence rates are going to be subjected to the same restrictions as Dublin, makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

GarIT wrote: »
    There hasn't been that many road deaths.

Presuming the stats come from this fake post

https://fullfact.org/online/people-did-die-covid-19-ireland-august/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is no agenda at work. We've all been affected to a greater or lesser extent by it. Look at yourself! Were you like this before COVID?

People are using a hypothetical mental health crisis to put an end to lockdown.

That is using mental health for political gain. It's the new "won't somebody please think of the children"

joeguevara wrote: »

That's even out of date given 8 more have now been added to August

Before I go for a bit and get back to work. Road deaths only kill ~15 a month, lets put a Autobahn on the Quays, the commute time is damaging my mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

It's a false equivalence you have there - "In Asia, they are extreme so where we are now to where we could go would still be way less than Asia". Also, it's not a case of locking down or extreme Big Brother tracking. This is the sort of braindead black-and-white thought process I feel is endemic in our public sector.

I think you have miss understood my point. The point I am making is that we are only thinking about one set of tools to control Covid. There are other options we can add into the mix, such as using your phone for track and trace. It’s not one or the other, it’s about getting the balance right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

BluePlanet wrote: »
    But none of NPHET's advice prohibits treatment for depression and suicide.

My exe partner suffers from generalised anxiety disorder.
    She broke up with me last week because of her mental health issues and fear of the covid thing.
    She just couldn't cope with all the contradictions and we were supposed to be at a comunion last week, and she was ****ting herself for the last month about, whether she should go or not go, who'll be there, what if the garden gathering was raided, would she loose her job as a carer, how long it will for.
    Is there any one there who had covid, what if her kid caught it.
    Will there be sanitation, how far apart will people be, how come it's on, maybe it shouldn't be on.

I'll go, don't think I'll go, that's it I'm going... No not going.
    Why are you going, go if you want.
    It just got worse and worse on her.
    I suggested she don't go if she's fearful and I understood her worries, but then that brings up more problems, oh so you don't want me there, or she'll worry about me being there without her.
    A constant cycle of anxiety, and fear.
    Very simple in my head, yay or nay but if one suffers from GAD it's not so simple.

Anyhow we ended up breaking up and I accept her decision and she works hard to keep her life on track.

But that's the effect this thing has on people who have anxiety disorders, it multiplies their emotive state.
    And its really sad and they can't help it.

Nobody can judge people who have those conditions, but yet there's no plan for people who are petrified during all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

paw patrol wrote: »
    refund me all the taxes I paid for these services...and my private health insurance...

No. Opt out means out. Or mask up, and stf up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

One of the most common things people have done for generations after a medical diagnosis is get a second opinion. So the concept of questioning an expert is the norm.

Whats abnormal to me about NPHET is that there is a sense that they are beyond reproach and wont be questioned. There are literally thousands of examples in history of experts being ultimately wrong.

But it's not ONE expert. It's thousands. The opposition is in the extreme minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Can people who voted no explain to me whats the emergency? Its National public health emergency team.

What is the emergency?

Is there something we dont know about covid?

Are hospitals overrun?

Are bodies piling up on the streets?

Real question is - why werent these clowns disbanded mid June?? Kept business shut in July when new cases were in single digits...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Real question is - why werent these clowns disbanded mid June?? Kept business shut in July when new cases were in single digits...

Businesses closed = low cases.
    Businesses open = higher cases.

It's not difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Businesses closed = low cases.
    Businesses open = higher cases.

It's not difficult to understand.

dead right Padre, lock everything up forever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

copeyhagen wrote: »
    dead right Padre, lock everything up forever.

And throw away the key

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

saabsaab wrote: »
    Me too. Too much of that mental health nonsense, this is life or death.

Yes for sure, I mean, Mental health... definitely not important as if you get a bad flu.... not like there's any consequences to having poor mental health...

Also, this isn't the Spanish Flu we're dealing with!

Can people who voted no explain to me whats the emergency? Its National public health emergency team.

What is the emergency?

Are hospitals overrun?

You know what the emergency is. And there probably are things we don't know but we know enough.

The hospitals are close to overrun, NPHET are trying to slow things before we get there. Also remember it takes up to two weeks after a lockdown comes in for cases to drop.

Bodies aren't piling up on the streets. I don't believe that's a good metric to go by. But bodies were being put in a refrigerated delivery truck at Tallaght hospital after the morgue overflowed in April.

They didn't start for covid, we always have an emergency team, in case of emergencies, rather than starting to make one after the horse has bolted.

What is the emergency?

Are hospitals overrun?

No but all those things will happen if we disband NPHET. Real question is why do you see wacky conspiracies when most people just see experts doing their best

• Registered Users Posts: 33,522 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The hospitals are close to overrun.

No they aren't.
    Show us a link to the figures showing this.

As of yesterday:
    There are currently 134 confirmed cases of the virus in Irish hospitals with 21 patients requiring intensive care.

That's a long way from being overrun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The hospitals are close to overrun, NPHET are trying to slow things before we get there. Also remember it takes up to two weeks after a lockdown comes in for cases to drop.

Are there 20 cases in ICU? That’s close to being over run?

The hospitals in Ireland are always overrun in fairness

What is the emergency?

Are hospitals overrun?

I gotta say - response to above have been abysmal. Only response lacking for complete hysteria is "google - mass graves!"

People still seem to live in April time, when bloody HSE didnt even have masks. We are in October. with billions worth of PPE at our disposal, in addition to a lot of knowledge about covid, multiple empty hospitals for extra capacity (that have never been utilised) and deaths at 3% of what they were in April. Apparently there is an emergency??

NIMAN wrote: »
    No they aren't.
    Show us a link to the figures showing this.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

21 cases in ICU, we only have 250ish beds with 150ish needed for other issues. We have around 80 free beds. a lockdown takes two weeks to kick in, we will only have 60 free beds if we start a lockdown today, otherwise it takes two weeks for the cases to double and then two weeks for the lockdowns to kick in leaving us with 20 free beds at that stage.

All it takes is one nursing home to get infected and we're at capacity.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No but all those things will happen if we disband NPHET. Real question is why do you see wacky conspiracies when most people just see experts doing their best

Reeks of religion. "Oh we gotta believe in something, lets believe in NPHET the experts who had no idea where covid was transmitted when recommending banning indoor dinning for Dublin".

On a separate note - level 3 Dublin - did sweet fck all? What a surprise, But i thought lockdowns work??

Lets try level 4? or level 5 what the hell? shure, all of these measures are working! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Real question is why do you see wacky conspiracies when most people just see experts doing their best

Why do these experts ask the vulnerable , over 70's to behave the same as the rest of the population during this level 5 lockdown ? - surely we should be protecting the vulnerable as much as possible . and I am not young, but really fear for my childrens generation, ther is a sizeable proportion of the population , maybe 40% who are unaffected by lockdown , in secure jobs , like the Doctors and health service execitives themselves who are making these descisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,522 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

21 cases in ICU, we only have 250ish beds with 150ish needed for other issues. We have around 80 free beds. a lockdown takes two weeks to kick in, we will only have 60 free beds if we start a lockdown today, otherwise it takes two weeks for the cases to double and then two weeks for the lockdowns to kick in.

Lot of presumptions there. Not hard facts.

1/10th of ICU need used is close to being overrun.

Let's deal in facts.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Are there 20 cases in ICU? That’s close to being over run?

There are 170 patients in ICU currently, 21 of them covid, with 250 beds. With covid doubling every two weeks at level 3, or every 3 days at level 2, we are only weeks away from going over capacity.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Lot of presumptions there. Not hard facts.

What presumptions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

maybe one has over the weekend

Advertisement