Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Sounds that way, looks like NPHET are getting tired of the hearsay and just put their foot down, anything other than this is the governments decision.

Leaks everywhere, certainly not professional, Leo earlier saying he doesn't agree with strict guidelines with the icu and hospitalizations low, and now that whopper of a leak by NPHET yesterday. Looks like a lot of self interest at stake here.

I understand Leo's self interest but what is the NPHET self-interest?

To me is a clear washing of the hands, things are scaling up significantly and anyone that has been to the hospital recently knows how chaotic they are atm. If NPHET would not do this then in a few weeks when the **** really hits the fan everyone falls on them.

Doing this puts any consequences on the gov. alone. The gov might choose to ignore it completely but if we start getting serious deaths they won't be able to turn to NPHET.

My guess is the gov will now go down a path of lies and propaganda against NPHET, all is well, NPHET are a bunch of alarmists, and in two weeks time they either will bow down and follow NPHETs recommendation or double down on the lies.

This is actually what's happening in Belgium atm where they are still the EU country with more deaths and infections per million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Quite interesting how the poll is working out at roughly 50 / 50.

Basically divided into 2 groups.

Group 1 : NPHET are inept, single issue focused, dont know what economy means or how it works.

Group 2 : If NPHET are disbanded, shi* hits the fan and down the road we could have thousands die

Only 1 of these groups has factual arguments. The other 1 is predicting the future based on paste experience, in which HSE didnt even have enough masks, let alone have spare capacity and additional knowledge about covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Remember Ireland's call back at the start of March?

https://www.thejournal.ie/on-call-for-ireland-workers-5170155-Aug2020/

Be On Call For Ireland: Only 209 workers given role in health service while 1,600 remain in a 'pool'

60000 signed up.

NPHET took over the private hospitals and basically just took them out of commission at huge expense

Sweden have doubled their ICU capacity in this time. What have we done? Blamed the largely law abiding citizenry - and yes we have been better than the vast majority of European countries in this regard.

Meanwhile if you blatantly flout the rules, there is no punishment, and in the case of meat plants and judges you are actively protected and told you did nothing wrong. A farce of the highest order.

That's a head scratcher.
    How does an advisory body with no legislation power "take over" private hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't help but think NPHET see us as a Basket of Deplorables. Too stupid to take care of ourselves, so they have taken it upon themselves to run our lives.

Worried about your job? Get a better one. Why do you not just work in an esteemed profession like us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

NPHET : Michael, in order to expedite these negotiations, we are prepared to make you a very generous offer.

Michael: And we are prepared to reject that offer.

Ryan: Michael, you haven't even heard-

Michael: Never accept their first offer. What is your second offer?

NPHET: level 5
    Michael: Are you kidding me? That is insultingly high. I don't even want to hear what your first offer was.

I didn't really think NPHET worked that way, by making "offers". I thought they advised based on science. Either they justify it using science or they dont make the recommendation.

• Advertisement

I can't help but think NPHET see us as a Basket of Deplorables. Too stupid to take care of ourselves, so they have taken it upon themselves to run our lives.

Worried about your job? Get a better one. Why do you not just work in an esteemed profession like us
    Is it NPHET that does that or is it the government?
    You are misplacing your anger.

It's all part of the art of negotiation.
    Scare them with Level 5.
    Maybe then they will accept Level 3 or 4 without a whimper

Yes it’s straight out of the Harvard Law School way to negotiate - that immediately came to mind when level 5 was announced - pathetic playing tactics with peoples lives and livelihoods

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/batna/10-hardball-tactics-in-negotiation/%3famp

Yes it’s straight out of the Harvard Law School way to negotiate - that immediately came to mind when level 5 was announced - pathetic playing tactics with peoples lives and livelihoods

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/batna/10-hardball-tactics-in-negotiation/%3famp

Do you know that the numbers of infected are greater today then they were when we underwent lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

This, we went into lockdown to give HSE time to prepare and get themselves organised. Also to put in place an adequate test and trace system.

So what happened?

The Minister of Health needs to be sacked and heads at the HSE need to roll over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not just Dr. Death Holohan who thinks this, FFFG also have little regard for the general public....
    Worked in the Arts all your life? Retrain for another job you loser! https://extra.ie/2020/08/03/news/irish-news/heather-humphreys-musicians

Leo Varadkar went to war with the most vulnerable in society: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/leo-varadkar-s-welfare-cheats-advertisements-a-hate-campaign-1.3083638

• Advertisement

NPHET : Michael, in order to expedite these negotiations, we are prepared to make you a very generous offer.

Michael: And we are prepared to reject that offer.

Ryan: Michael, you haven't even heard-

Michael: Never accept their first offer. What is your second offer?

NPHET: level 5
    Michael: Are you kidding me? That is insultingly high. I don't even want to hear what your first offer was.

We're going to Level 5 one way or another. The Irish Govt have proven to be subservient to everybody but the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Group 1 : NPHET are inept, single issue focused, dont know what economy means or how it works.

Group 2 : If NPHET are disbanded, shi* hits the fan and down the road we could have thousands die

Only 1 of these groups has factual arguments. The other 1 is predicting the future based on paste experience, in which HSE didnt even have enough masks, let alone have spare capacity and additional knowledge about covid.

Everyone is making predictions.

Group 2 is using the current trend R=1.3=Doubling every two weeks if transmission takes an average of 4.6 days. Not past experience where R>2=Doubling every three days.

While Group 1 is using Sweeden, a country with an imeasurably better healthcare system, lower population density, much better compliance with guidelines, that already socally distanced before the virus, was in a social crisis and lonliness epidemic. Look at a picture of a Sweedish bus stop from 2019 or earlier they already stood 1 to 2m apart. Most importantly a country that has now imposed some restrictions to stop things getting out of control and where the government have said their approach was a mistake.

The Sweedish model could work here if we spent an extra quarter of our annual tax take on healthcare and we actually socially distanced not had little gaps between people and made our footpaths one way and had the Gardaí enforcing the level 2 guidelines which is actually what the Sweedes have at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    We're going to Level 5 one way or another. The Irish Govt have proven to be subservient to everybody but the Irish people.

Ye id be very surprised if we don't go to level 5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That's how I see other people tbh.

Have you not seen all the memes all over this and other sites about Karens and stupid people? It's almost a culture to think this way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

bush wrote: »
    Ye id be very surprised if we don't go to level 5 :(

I don’t think it’ll happen today, but it does feel somewhat inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Would Vladimir Putin tolerate NPHET sending the state broadcaster leaked letters? No. They know they will be finding one of those dodgy windows that doctors keep falling out of.

We have a piss weak government and a power mad Junta trying to take control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm beginning to think we just roll back to Level 1 and whatever happens happens, people just won't adhere to restrictions.

Off the phone there with someone I know well at lunch-time. I'm not saying he won't be proved right but there was such a level of absolute certainty it was hard to listen to. They are academically intelligent and senior in their profession. They don't see that there is an issue at all, they believe the NPHET to not be qualified enough to examine the data presented to them, that Tony Holohan is just a worrier. I mentioned that my wife is getting the flu vaccine (she's frontline healthcare) and that supplies are supposedly low this year. He doesn't believe the flu vaccine to be a priority at all as people are not interacting with each other much. I said well if people are passing Covid to each other and those numbers are increasing then surely there is an opportunity for people to spread the flu virus. He doesn't believe that house parties are a major issue either. As far as he is concerned NPHET, the government and a lot of the public are just suffering from anxiety and don't understand the situation.

To top if off they live in Dublin and have spent the past week holidaying around Kerry.

Now maybe he'll be proved right and this is all over blown but I hate how certain some people are about the future. I think it better to adhere to restrictions and not test out the bad scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I'm beginning to think we just roll back to Level 1 and whatever happens happens, people just won't adhere to restrictions.

Off the phone there with someone I know well at lunch-time. I'm not saying he won't be proved right but there was such a level of absolute certainty it was hard to listen to. They are academically intelligent and senior in their profession. They don't see that there is an issue at all, they believe the NPHET to not be qualified enough to examine the data presented to them, that Tony Holohan is just a worrier. I mentioned that my wife is getting the flu vaccine (she's frontline healthcare) and that supplies are supposedly low this year. He doesn't believe the flu vaccine to be a priority at all as people are not interacting with each other much. I said well if people are passing Covid to each other and those numbers are increasing then surely there is an opportunity for people to spread the flu virus. He doesn't believe that house parties are a major issue either. As far as he is concerned NPHET, the government and a lot of the public are just suffering from anxiety and don't understand the situation.

To top if off they live in Dublin and have spent the past week holidaying around Kerry.

Now maybe he'll be proved right and this is all over blown but I hate how certain some people are about the future. I think it better to adhere to restrictions and not test out the bad scenarios.

I'm afraid your friend is displaying all the symptoms of being an eejit
    There is no hope of a vaccine for that

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Do you know that the numbers of infected are greater today then they were when we underwent lockdown?

A. That’s not surprising and quite predictable considering we’ve opened up the economy

B. On Thursday everything was relatively OK according to NPHET- 2 days later and were the worst state possible

C. We haven’t decided what “normal” numbers should be for an open economy- it has to be higher than a closed economy

D. I say “so what” in reply to your statement - so what that the figures are higher? What do you expect if we open the economy- the statement means nothing - it’s all about context - I’d be worried if still locked down but we’re not.

More ICU. Beds and selective age based restrictions would help an awful lot instead of level 5 for all- and continued education/reminders on correct procedures to protect yourself and others and on the spot fines for those who break the rules - personal responsibility is the best method of prevention but obviously this needs more work for certain groups but locking down the economy now will kill it .

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I don’t think it’ll happen today, but it does feel somewhat inevitable

It will be the end of the week. So shop owners can prepare themselves and gives the worthless lot in the Dail more time for Kabuki theater so they can make us think they're fighting this.

• Advertisement

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    It will be the end of the week. So shop owners can prepare themselves and gives the worthless lot in the Dail more time for Kabuki theater so they can make us think they're fighting this.

There’s probably a Dail golf outing Scheduled for earlier :pac: this week

A. That’s not surprising and quite predictable considering we’ve opened up the economy

B. On Thursday everything was relatively OK according to NPHET- 2 days later and were the worst state possible

............and in those 2 days Tony Holohan came back to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

............and in those 2 days Tony Holohan came back to work!

Tony "Superman" Holohan....

paw patrol wrote: »
    Tony "Superman" Holohan....

I have a few female friends who positively drool over Tony Holohan - he can do and say no wrong. He is the new God. Its sickening :(

(all very well heeled ladies who lunch, who'll never have to work again in their lives, with wealthy husbands, property and big pensions)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I have a few female friends who positively drool over Tony Holohan - he can do and say no wrong. He is the new God. Its sickening :(

(all very well heeled ladies who lunch, who'll never have to work again in their lives, with wealthy husbands, property and big pensions)

I am starting to think most people who are supporting the Level 5 have nothing to lose.
    Personally I have kept to the restrictions until now but from what I can see the authorities didn’t do there part and prepare for the inevitable increase in cases we see now.

Maybe some cohorts have been sniffing too much of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

..... Great to see that Mr Harris's main worry is getting a bit wet going from his car to into a shop .
    Obviously Mr Harris doesn't have to worry about his business and whether it will survive another lockdown .
    Or that he won't have his monthly mortgage and will have to make that call to his bank .
    .... If your only worry is getting a bit wet going from your car to a shop...
    May I suggest Mr Harris your not in the same boat as a lot of us ...BUT WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER MR HARRIS ...its just some of us are in it a lot deeper than others . Stay dry mr Harris .

..... Great to see that Mr Harris's main worry is getting a bit wet going from his car to into a shop .
    Obviously Mr Harris doesn't have to worry about his business and whether it will survive another lockdown .
    Or that he won't have his monthly mortgage and will have to make that call to his bank .
    .... If your only worry is getting a bit wet going from your car to a shop...
    May I suggest Mr Harris your not in the same boat as a lot of us ...BUT WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER MR HARRIS ...its just some of us are in it a lot deeper than others . Stay dry mr Harris .

And if level 5 comes in, he won’t have to worry about getting wet anymore because his little shop won’t ever reopen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

breezy1985 wrote: »
    People are using a hypothetical mental health crisis to put an end to lockdown.

That is using mental health for political gain. It's the new "won't somebody please think of the children"

Do you understand the mental health implications of a lockdown? You clearly haven’t been personally affected or know anyone who’s been personally affected by the lockdown. Maybe some people are using mental health for their own agenda, but another full scale shutdown has huge implications, mental health being one of them.

Advertisement