Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The numbers of cases and deaths are in many ways just that, just numbers, until you know someone in those statistics, in particular the deaths.

I think most understand that this pandemic is wrecking world economies and we also have the second threat of Brexit. Therefore people do have a point of being against the restrictions. They are those that just want to have an active social life, have a few house parties etc. and enjoy life.

Nothing wrong with any of that but would these people feel different if someone close to them died or was seriously ill and impacted by Covid? Easy for people to flout restrictions or want less restrictions if they don't pay the price. Just like taxes, many don't mind higher taxes to pay for services once they aren't the ones paying the taxes.

One thing I hope all can agree on - Covid is a fcuking mess of a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

People talking about the erosion of our "freedoms" have very little grasp of context so I wouldn't be too concerned about their thoughts to be honest.

That said, If people did what they were supposed to do we probably wouldnt be in this situation. I think almost everyone has slipped somewhat in their adherence to the rules and regulations - and that is with some of our most vulnerable still cocooning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

With the quotes coming out of some senior government members tonight, it's not just the people that NPHET have lost the attention of. That leak last night was a huge mistake and a massive fúckup. Communication and public buy in is key here and NPHET just pissed all over that, disgraceful carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

With the quotes coming out of some senior government members tonight, it's not just the people that NPHET have lost the attention of. That leak last night was a huge mistake and a massive fúckup. Communication and public buy in is key here and NPHET just pissed all over that, disgraceful carry on.

At this stage, I think NPHET should be disbanded and there should be a dedicated Division in D/Health who will coordinate this properly and ensure it fits into the normal decision making process. We don’t need part timers and wannabe politicians running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Now at last we have the government taking full responsibility.
    Bold move going against medical advice.
    The parties in power now cant blame anyone else if there are increasing deaths or an overrun of the health service.
    Michael, Leo and windowsill have to take full responsibility if this backfires on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This flogging of ourselves for sins we committed meeting people is getting ridiculous. (I say that as someone who never broke rules intentionally.) It was expected, unless you want Chinese type implementation of rules with army and police on the street there will always be some slippage. We spent longer in lockdown than most of Europe because response wasn't great in the first wave. There is enough lockdown fatigue that something else will have to be attempted.

Not to mention that restrictions seem to be harsher than in the rest of Europe and no our health system is not the worst in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Get in your place little proles.
    You need to put your shoulder to the wheel and risk illness and death to protect my right to hoard my wealth.

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

At this stage, I think NPHET should be disbanded and there should be a dedicated Division in D/Health who will coordinate this properly and ensure it fits into the normal decision making process. We don’t need part timers and wannabe politicians running the show.

Agree; disband NPHET and say that the govt has no confidence in Tony after his sabbatical, and see if he resigns.
    I have seen nothing in the data they have produced to justify level 5; if the median age of COVID deaths is 89 with 90% having underlying issues, then this is a complete overreaction if the bulk of cases are among the younger generation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Now at last we have the government taking full responsibility.
    Bold move going against medical advice.
    The parties in power now cant blame anyone else if there are increasing deaths or an overrun of the health service.
    Michael, Leo and windowsill have to take full responsibility if this backfires on them.

Windowsill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Satire but true:

Maybe its our increasingly fragile mental state, worsened by spending 7 months saying ‘yeah, grand, you?’ while we spiral ever further down the existential pit of dread. But maybe the government is right and it’s all our collective fault they’ve spent the last 7 months failing to adequately scale up infrastructure and resources that would help us open the economy back up while not compromising our health service, which again resembles a bowl of unset jelly run over by a tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jizique wrote: »
    Agree; disband NPHET and say that the govt has no confidence in Tony after his sabbatical, and see if he resigns.
    I have seen nothing in the data they have produced to justify level 5; if the median age of COVID deaths is 89 with 90% having underlying issues, then this is a complete overreaction if the bulk of cases are among the younger generation

it's not nphets call to go to level 5, they told the government that from their angle we are in a level 5 health situation and the government decide what to do.

So nphet are correct in what they said and well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

it's not nphets call to go to level 5, they told the government that from their angle we are in a level 5 health situation and the government decide what to do.

So nphet are correct in what they said and well done to them.

A round of applause for NPHET tonight at 8? Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Well done to the government to standing up to NPHET , and making a decsion taking all aspects of life in to account , 4 weeks of military lockdown would not get zero cases , with schools and airports open - People need to be cautious , act with care and social distance , and behave within our current laws - idiots will exist regardless of any lockdown and not social distance and have ther partys, punish them not the majority of good people.

thebaz wrote: »
    Well done to the government to standing up to NPHET , and making a decsion taking all aspects of life in to account , 4 weeks of military lockdown would not get zero cases , with schools and airports open - People need to be cautious , act with care and social distance , and behave within our current laws - idiots will exist regardless of any lockdown and not social distance and have ther partys, punish them not the majority of good people.

I doubt they did... I mean are The NPHET that careless that they would allow a closed meeting to leak news of such a serious decision to recommend shutting down the country? No way! These are all highly paid professionals and Holoham is a skilled political operator too...

If I tell you i'm going to punch you and break your nose, and then only slap you, aren't you glad your nose isn't broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It will be interesting to see how Quite Leo will be in later news conferences. Government will regret this appalling decision but not as much as the citizens, just shocking, this is more about the upcoming budget, limiting financial supports and keeping schools open, they knew full well, level 5 or 4 would have closed schools, teachers wouldn't have tolerated it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think we are being to hard on NPHET, we had over 600 cases on Saturday, that's nearly twice the 14 day average.

However the variance between day to day is so large it makes me think something is wrong with the testing or the test and trace, it's just weird the way the number are it's as if they over reprote on day then under report the next to compensate. The HSE run testing not NPHET

The way things are going we will be at level 5 in two weeks if the Government are wrong and it will have cost lives so will we see resignations? Which would be better for shops close now for 4 weeks and be open in November or close in two weeks and everybody shops online for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I doubt they did... I mean are The NPHET that careless that they would allow a closed meeting to leak news of such a serious decision to recommend shutting down the country? No way! These are all highly paid professionals and Holoham is a skilled political operator too...

If I tell you i'm going to punch you and break your nose, and then only slap you, aren't you glad your nose isn't broken?

do we have confirmation this was leaked by NPHET? Apparently there was a letter that could very easily be leaked by anyone involved on the gov side...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

meeeeh wrote: »
    This flogging of ourselves for sins we committed meeting people is getting ridiculous. (I say that as someone who never broke rules intentionally.) It was expected, unless you want Chinese type implementation of rules with army and police on the street there will always be some slippage. We spent longer in lockdown than most of Europe because response wasn't great in the first wave. There is enough lockdown fatigue that something else will have to be attempted.

Not to mention that restrictions seem to be harsher than in the rest of Europe and no our health system is not the worst in Europe.

If the Dail and Council members missed out on their paychecks during the lockdown they certainly wouldn't be so eager for another one and they certainly trying to emotionally blackmail people with the "Can we really put money above people?" nonsense if they had to spend months wondering how they were going to support their families and pay the bills.

Another reason for the lockdown resistance. People are tired of being told they need to sacrifice [for the greater good] by people who sacrifice nothing and end up spitting in our faces for it [Varadkar and friends in the park, golf gate,etc]

Vieira82 wrote: »
    do we have confirmation this was leaked by NPHET? Apparently there was a letter that could very easily be leaked by anyone involved on the gov side...

Like that admission would ever officially be published, but come on, a closed meeting of a highly paid and powerful committee letting that level of info leak by accident??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Ultimately it is NEPHET job to advise. The government has to govern. The buck stops with them.
    I would possible prefer NEPHET to give the best public health advise but the government then have to take other factors into account.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Another reason for the lockdown resistance. People are tired of being told they need to sacrifice [for the greater good] by people who sacrifice nothing and end up spitting in our faces for it [Varadkar and friends in the park, golf gate,etc]

One rule for us and another for them, do as we say not as we do:

https://www.thejournal.ie/seamus-woulfe-golfgate-denham-report-5220414-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

However the variance between day to day is so large it makes me think something is wrong with the testing or the test and trace, it's just weird the way the number are it's as if they over reprote on day then under report the next to compensate. The HSE run testing not NPHET

Can think of a few reasons for it.

Even things that are operated 24/7 (assuming that is how they are running the lab work for the tests?) are going to have occasional disruptions/times where they cannot run as much as usual etc (what if staff member doesn't show up for their shift or a machine breaks down at the wrong time, reagents run out + aren't resupplied when needed etc etc).

Add to that effects of shifts in the hospitals, testing in workplaces where they might collect swabs from loads of people on a certain day leading to a glut of positives later, the weekend when GPs are closed and people have to resort to out of hours etc (followed by a rush of people looking for tests early in the week). IM laypersons opinion, you'd expect data is going to be quite noisy looked at day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Vieira82 wrote: »

It was leaked to RTE. I find it hard to believe that Ronan Glynn sitting around the house over the weekend didn't just happen to tell the missus, who incidentally works for rte

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It was leaked to RTE. I find it hard to believe that Ronan Glynn sitting around the house over the weekend didn't just happen to tell the missus, who incidentally works for rte

these never-ending leaks and threats of lockdown really are no good for the nations well being - pannicking at shops etc and unnecaessary Fears effects the vulnerable the most.

thebaz wrote: »
    these never-ending leaks and threats of lockdown really are no good for the nations well being - pannicking at shops etc and unnecaessary Fears effects the vulnerable the most.

Worked well for them so far, Keep the public in a constant state of fear and anxiety works well when you want to bend the constitution like a credit card..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Worked well for them so far, Keep the public in a constant state of fear and anxiety works well when you want to bend the constitution like a credit card..

Paul Cunningham on 6-1 with his ”lethal virus” just after they announced 518 new cases and 0 deaths...

Jizique wrote: »
    Paul Cunningham on 6-1 with his ”lethal virus” just after they announced 518 new cases and 0 deaths...

No doubt they would say something like "We need to crush this lethal virus with all the resources of the state" "We will prevail over the vicious and deadly invader"

Again, all war time language that's designed to raise the fear levels..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No doubt they would say something like "We need to crush this lethal virus with all the resources of the state" "We will prevail over the vicious and deadly invader"

Again, all war time language that's designed to raise the fear levels..

It's designed for people who have gotten complacent or who aren't following the regulations, following them.
    If that means putting fear into them then that has to happen.
    This isn't rocket science.
    Social distancing is the core principle - everything else is on top of that.
    Those calling for less restrictions need to show that the populace can do social distancing.
    Unfortuantely over the past few weeks we have seen a number of events happen that have led to massive amounts of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Like that admission would ever officially be published, but come on, a closed meeting of a highly paid and powerful committee letting that level of info leak by accident??

Sorry, you are correct, my wording was poor. I agree they wouldn't admit anything. What I am asking is if we know it was on the NPHET side that there was the leak?

If you look back at the current gov, it has been common to have a number of leaks occurring on it's side and we even had a few people being dismissed over said leaks.

So with this in mind, if we go by leaks alone it could be the leak came from the gov. side maybe?

Advertisement