Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One thing with the Danes is they can pace themselves better, because they're not treated like children when drinking. Pubs open as late as they want; you can drink on the streets - but you'll actually be arrested if uncontrollably drunk. But they'll certainly get to the same stage as most Irish people do after a session.

They even have a word for the "the first day you can drink outside". Its not uncommon to grab a beer in the train station shop on the way to work, or at lunch - just one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

L1011 wrote: »
    The Government were elected - they commanded more than 50% of the vote

That's how PR-STV works.

Just because one political party in particular is upset about a voting system (that they are entirely in favour of in NI...) and spreading gibberish about "unelected Taoiseach" and so on doesn't change that.

It's quite worrying how many people come out with this nonsense about the Govt somehow not being elected, same with caretaker Govt previously, the idea that somehow they weren't legitimate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

At the start everything was very clear. We needed to implement certain measures to ensure we wouldn't see the scenes from elsewhere - army trucks transporting bodies.

Now people are questioning some newer measures and organisations, as well as the individual, are querying things ( like the gaa and VFI). And there seems to be validity in the things being questioned...like why does my pub need to record everything I ate with my pint for 28 days for example?! What does that do to prevent the spread of Covid?!

As an old boss of mine used say 'if you're explaining you're losing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No. I think they've done an outstanding job tbh.

I know your a bit bonkers gerry but even you can't make up a good reason for keeping a 28 day record of what food a person had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think they are doing a terrible job but whats nearly worse is how the governments are hiding behind them. I will give them the benefit of the doubt at the very start. Nobody knew sh1t but after that its been terrible. They're just a bunch of admin bigwigs covering their arses it would seem and come out with permanent nonsense like any big committee of admin bigwigs would, surprise surprise. Other than that there just doing what everyone else is doing plus an added 150% of conservative.

The nonsense during lockdown not letting people go to beaches and other outdoor areas.
    The 2km, 5km, 20km nonsense.
    The mask nonsense. Discouraging masks when they actually might have made a difference. Now mandating them in places where we know no infections occurred. First saying they''re not going to work cos people gonna make a balls of it. Now watch while people make a balls of it.
    The permanent micromanagement bollix. Like put on a mask when you to the jacks but its ok when you sit down. As if that made a fkn difference. These stupid timelimits, like under 105 minutes you're ok but after that its dangerous. Who's going to believe that sh1te?. I can play soccer where I can pull and toss 11 other people around but nobody can watch at the sideline. Weddings, funerals churches.
    The meat factories. The Kildare 'lockdown'. The list goes on.
    The berating, finger wagging and fear mongering.
    The actual neck of them acting as if they fkn ruled the place.

Was going to add the nursing homes but I suppose while the HSe is represented at Nphet the two aren't really the same thing are they?

Edit: I could actually go on for a while....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

SeaFields wrote: »
    At the start everything was very clear. We needed to implement certain measures to ensure we wouldn't see the scenes from elsewhere - army trucks transporting bodies.

Now people are questioning some newer measures and organisations, as well as the individual, are querying things ( like the gaa and VFI). And there seems to be validity in the things being questioned...like why does my pub need to record everything I ate with my pint for 28 days for example?! What does that do to prevent the spread of Covid?!

Nphet haven’t advised any pub to record what is eaten by customers.

If you’ve a problem with it, take it up with the Pub itself.

If you don’t want to write down what you ate or your details, then don’t. It’s not a law that you must comply with.

If it’s all too much then don’t go to the pub.

But all of that has nothing to do with Nphet.

SeaFields wrote: »

Did your boss ever provide expert evidence based advice to government in the middle of a global pandemic the likes of which hasn’t been seen in over 100 years?

Cos if he did, I’m sure Nphet would welcome his advice on how to explain to a nation how to deal with large number of small outbreaks - and yet by explaining, to not be losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I follow the hygiene , cough etiquette, mask, hand hygiene the common sense advice. The rest of their nonsense along with a plethora of other numpties such as Staines, Ryan, Killeen I ignore.

I don’t even do that anymore. I stick on a dirty mask that’s Been in my back pocket all day just to go into the shop or on the bus to keep the curtain twitchers at bay. Totally pointless. I’d imagine 99% of people are the same.

Was going to add the nursing homes but I suppose while the HSe is represented at Nphet the two aren't really the same thing are they?..

Not sure what you mean in this sentence?

Overall, you’re correct - clearly an awful lot of this is not logical. I do think that we’re probably within the realm of behavioural psychology rather than evidence based infection control. How can Nphet get the most people To adhere to the basics in each sphere of life? What will the public tolerate In each social situation?

No one really gives a flute about mass, but everyone’s mad for a wedding or communion.

To be fair, they never profess to have the answers. It’s fairly straightforward on what should be done To get rid of the virus - lockdown. But once You’re out of lockdown, it’s really damage limitation. Trying your beat to restrict movement so that it’s easier to react when their is a cluster or outbreak. There are no rules for this. We can’t live Covid free but in lockdown and we can’t live the way we were were and not have a highly infectious disease overwhelm services, and harm and kill citizens. We’re someone in the very grey middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

karlitob wrote: »
    Did your boss ever provide expert evidence based advice to government in the middle of a global pandemic the likes of which hasn’t been seen in over 100 years?

Cos if he did, I’m sure Nphet would welcome his advice on how to explain to a nation how to deal with large number of small outbreaks - and yet by explaining, to not be losing.

Do you believe NPHET to be infallible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

NPHET members went back to their day jobs and ignored the real and known risks. This was not March or April when they had excuses - this was July and August. The testing regime had only worked when they are under pressure to deliver - they have been reactive and not proactive. Many of the same members of NPHET have been the same people mismanaging the health service for many years.

I do think that the public health people including Glynn, de Gascun and Nolan are doing a decent enough job, have been relatively sensible and seem to at least be aware of the impact of the community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

People need to stop buying this crap it's gone ridiculous at this stage. It is time to go get on with our lives as normal without masks, social distancing, app, local lockdowns or any other nonsense. Think about it if the majority of people with covid are asymptomatic then it couldn't be that deadly if you don't even know you have it.

They could at least start by stopping their deadly briefing that would really help put an end to the fear mongering which is exactly what it is. It's to put the nonsense of 2020 behind us and get on with living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

GT89 wrote: »
    People need to stop buying this crap it's gone ridiculous at this stage. It is time to go get on with our lives as normal without masks, social distancing, app, local lockdowns or any other nonsense. Think about it if the majority of people with covid are asymptomatic then it couldn't be that deadly if you don't even know you have it.

They could at least start by stopping their deadly briefing that would really help put an end to the fear mongering which is exactly what it is. It's to put the nonsense of 2020 behind us and get on with living.

Sounding dangerously narcissistic there GT89.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

GT89 wrote:

I agree with the sentiment but just because the majority are asymptomatic, it did not mean the virus is not deadly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

power-freaks on meds the lot of them . They are making us look worse than the USA

hmmm wrote: »
    Will that include everyone who comes into contact with the "high risk" categories?

Will nurses and doctors also have to be restricted? How about nursing home workers - I'm presuming they will also have to be cut off from the rest of society "carrying on"? Will any family with someone who is immunosuppressed have to isolate themselves from society? How about someone who is in a vulnerable category and works, I presume they will have to give up their job?

How long will they have to keep this up - forever?

Simple just test anyone working with vulnerable patients as much as possible and let the rest of us get on with it. It should be up to induvidual families and those with underlying conditions to do what they feel is best for them whether that is cocooning, limiting contacts or nothing at all if they so wish it is completely up to them.

Put in place a voluntary furlough scheme for those who work with underlying conditions or facilitate WFH if possible for those induviduals.

dubrov wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment but just because the majority are asymptomatic, it did not mean the virus is not deadly

Never said it wasn't deadly. I'm am just saying that it isn't near as deadly as is being made out. Flu is also deadly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

power-freaks on meds the lot of them . They are making us look worse than the USA

Stop posting gibberish.

This entire post is complete absolute utter bollocks. You really don`t have a clue do you? Have you done anything about getting your other issues sorted out yet?

This entire post is complete absolute utter bollocks. You really don`t have a clue do you?

I have a clue that is fear mongering bs

• Advertisement

I have a clue that is fear mongering bs

As you don`t give a **** about anyone other than yourself which is what you have stated several times here then you have zero credibility when talking about BS. You need to get your issues sorted out ASAP.

As you don`t give a **** about anyone other than yourself which is what you have stated several times here then you have zero credibility when talking about BS. You need to get your issues sorted out ASAP.

Explain to me how covid is as deadly as you think it is if the majority are asymptomatic. I have zero issues so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Explain to me how covid is as deadly as you think it is if the majority are asymptomatic. I have zero issues so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
    Oh yes you do as I and several other posters have pointed out several times previously. If you can`t see that then you are delusional.

Oh yes you do as I and several other posters have pointed out several times previously. If you can`t see that then you are delusional.

I have no issues. I am fully functioning normal person you have never met me. I'm glad to see you can diagnose someones mental illness from behind a keyboard

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Do you believe NPHET to be infallible?

No but that’s not what I said. Read it again.

NPHET members went back to their day jobs and ignored the real and known risks. This was not March or April when they had excuses - this was July and August. The testing regime had only worked when they are under pressure to deliver - they have been reactive and not proactive. Many of the same members of NPHET have been the same people mismanaging the health service for many years.

I do think that the public health people including Glynn, de Gascun and Nolan are doing a decent enough job, have been relatively sensible and seem to at least be aware of the impact of the community.

This is their day job - on top of everything else.

It’s amazing how some people in Nphet are doing a brilliant job according to you but others aren’t. How the bad advice must be coming from the other people on Nphet and not the world experts that you mention. It almost sounds like you’re on Nphet and are privy to the conversations.

Nphet are not responsible for the delivery of a contact tracing system so I don’t know what you’re on about.

This is their day job - on top of everything else.

It’s amazing how some people in Nphet are doing a brilliant job according to you but others aren’t. How the bad advice must be coming from the other people on Nphet and not the world experts that you mention. It almost sounds like you’re on Nphet and are privy to the conversations.

Nphet are not responsible for the delivery of a contact tracing system so I don’t know what you’re on about.

Have a look at the membership. Many of the members have executive functions in the HSE not to mention the Dept of Health heads.

Unlike others on this thread I am not taking a black and white view. NPHET and the executive roles the members have is not all good but at the same time it is not all bad. Serious mistakes have been made.

Have a look at the membership. Many of the members have executive functions in the HSE not to mention the Dept of Health heads.

Unlike others on this thread I am not taking a black and white view. NPHET and the executive roles the members have is not all good but at the same time it is not all bad. Serious mistakes have been made.

I know who they are. You’ve missed my point. The management of Covid is their day job. Being on Nphet is their day job. The minister directed those persons who are members of the HSE to come onto the group.

I know what you’re think you’re saying about Nphet - but that’s not their role. Their role is to give expert advice on the disease and it’s effect on the public and public services. They inform the minister - the minister brings to government.

What major mistakes did they make?

I know who they are. You’ve missed my point. The management of Covid is their day job. Being on Nphet is their day job. The minister directed those persons who are members of the HSE to come onto the group.

I know what you’re think you’re saying about Nphet - but that’s not their role. Their role is to give expert advice on the disease and it’s effect on the public and public services. They inform the minister - the minister brings to government.

What major mistakes did they make?

I don’t believe their executive roles can be fully differentiated from their NPHET role.

- Obsession with travel while not keeping on top of the the known domestic risks with Travellers, Roma, Direct Provision, meat plants.

- the obsession with travel was a closed borders approach which was very clear was a utopian solution given our circumstances. Testing at the airport was dismissed as a recommendation. We are now three months behind other jurisdictions on this.

- mask wearing - confusing and inconsistent advice.

- testing capacity being visibly stood down which led to complacency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wow, saying so articulately exactly what so many of us are thinking. You can almost see Miriam and the shock on her face at a real opinion backed up by real evidence
    https://twitter.com/rte_primetime/status/1301643430385385473?s=21

Advertisement