Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Humilde wrote: »
    Well there we have it. The Government and NPHET decided last week to move us all to level three. They consulted their Behavioural Science sub group about how to convince the Irish sheeple to swallow it without proving that its necessary at all and were told, "tell them they're going to level 5 first and scare the sh1t out of them. Then tell them its only level three and your popularity will go through the roof. They'll love you". It's a win win. And so it was, that the Irish sheeple praised Leo and Simon to the high heavens for having saved them from level 5.

Not everything is a conspiracy that only you are genius enough to see through.

A rational person would say that the government is setting itself up for a fall here. When/if the numbers rise over the next few months then everyone will look back and moan that the government should have gotten stricter sooner. People won't remember that they themselves might have been vehemently against those same restrictions at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

GarIT wrote: »
    5.5% contraction in 2020 and 5% growth in 2021 predicted on the 22nd of September seems a little bit better than we are doing. I don't think there is a way not to be affected by a global economic downturn..

Not part of an Economic and social union, print their own money, basically a farm for China... loads of differences...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yeap, communist government used to cracking down hard on the population...very easy to crush any dissent into hard lockdowns... Something we're not used to in an open European democracy... I'm sure some here would like if we were more like the communists... Could probably get myself arrested for some of the posts on here.... Not a place you really want to live..

Oh, and 20 years experience of dealing with outbreaks of disease.... We don't have it... foot&mouth was about it

Immediate and fast shut down of borders in February/March... Yea we missed that bit... damn constitution and EU membership.. Maybe next time?

Right ok... South Korea? 24k cases, 400 odd deaths? 51 Million Citizens?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

GarIT wrote: »
    From what I've seen they are getting a lot of **** from the public for ignoring the experts. only 30% were in favour of level 3 in the journals poll, 60% wanted 4 or higher. It could be split 30ish% each for 3 4 and 5, putting 4 as possibly the preferred option.

John McGuirk talking about this phenomenon:
    These results might shock people, but the evidence internationally has been that, for want of a better term, the silent majority in most western countries is in favour of the lockdown and more restrictions. And the noisy minority are actually those who are opposed. That doesn’t mean the majority is right, of course, or that the minority is wrong, but the pattern is clear.

https://gript.ie/new-poll-lockdown-popular-52-want-more-restrictions/

Vieira82 wrote: »
    Right ok... South Korea? 24k cases, 400 odd deaths? 51 Million Citizens?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

off the top of my head, they have a well run world class medical system, a very disciplined populace culturally... I mean they wore masks long before any of us and not even during an outbreak of anything...

The main reason why though is that they dealt with a previous Coronavirus outbreak back about 10 years or so ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BoatMad wrote: »
    Our liberty and personal freedoms were hard fought in blood over centuries. power nuts Arby’s going to be allowed overturn this for an illusion of a solution

You really need to gain an appreciation for context.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Funny that. New Zealand does 4 times more tests per week than Ireland. Identical population size.

Can someone explain this one to me? They assume they have no covid and dont bother testing much? Or HSE has a lot of covid tests they need to "utilize" ?

Don't think that is right (from a quick google).
    https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases#lab

A daily average of 4,409 gives ~ 31k a week.

Tracker Application here says 90k were done in the last 7 days (so we about at capacity now given HSE have been saying they can do 100k at a push).

To give an honest answer (assuming you are asking why NZ still need to test so much??), presume they must test all incomers who are quarantining in hotels or whatever (multiple times).

Also healthcare workers, border/transport workers + people involved in care & feeding of those in quarantine.
    They'll need to keep all the capacity for tests etc. handy anyway to trace it down & knock it on the head quickly if/when it gets through the border on them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Don't think that is right (from a quick google).
    https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases#lab

A daily average of 4,409 gives ~ 31k a week.

Tracker Application here says 90k were done in the last 7 days (so we about at capacity now given HSE have been saying they can do 100k at a push).

To give an honest answer (assuming you are asking why NZ still need to test so much??), presume they must test all incomers who are quarantining in hotels or whatever (multiple times).

Also healthcare workers, border/transport workers + people involved in care & feeding of those in quarantine.
    They'll need to keep all the capacity for tests etc. handy anyway to trace it down & knock it on the head quickly if/when it gets through the border on them again.

I was wondering why we test 3 times more than another country with identical population as us?

Also, I am seeing 26/21k per week in below. But it doesnt matter if its 3 times more or 4 times more. something is, erm, wrong?

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases/covid-19-testing-rates-ethnicity-and-dhb

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Dear God, they've put Eamonn Ryan leading tonight's press conference, as I suspected Leo hiding and will do for the next few weeks. Pascal pontificating about protecting jobs, is he actually aware level 3 will pretty much shut down all pubs serving food, Hotels to non residents and restaurants, perhaps he'll propose an umbrella and rain coat be sent to every citizen in the state FFS.

This is just shocking stuff, they actually think progress has been made, are they deluded and new tonight 32 nursing home outbreaks. God help us all is all I can say. Finally, very, very, very telling Not a member of NPHET in sight at this shambolic press conference.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I was wondering why we test 3 times more than another country with identical population as us?

Also, I am seeing 26/21k per week in below. But it doesnt matter if its 3 times more or 4 times more. something is, erm, wrong?

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases/covid-19-testing-rates-ethnicity-and-dhb

Okay, you wrote that the other way around in your original post (why do they test 4 times more than Ireland).

Things are a fair bit worse here, more cases being picked up, more "close contacts" traced, more tests required.
    It is not quite "out of control" yet (meaning in terms of beyond ability of testing system etc. to keep track of what is going on) but on the way.
    I noticed (on my link) that NZ had some days where there were very high numbers of tests in August when (I assume) they were going hell for leather trying to track down all the "nodes" in the network of the outbreak that they had.

I suppose you could stop testing and pretend there is no virus until people show up gasping in hospital or keel over at home (and then put heart failure or pneumonia or some such on their death certs!) but that doesn't seem like a great plan to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

Thank God Tony came back in the nick of time to whip the lazy government and populace into shape. Level 5 into the new year hopefully coming soon. Should teach the scuts a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Dear God, they've put Eamonn Ryan leading tonight's press conference, as I suspected Leo hiding and will do for the next few weeks. Pascal pontificating about protecting jobs, is he actually aware level 3 will pretty much shut down all pubs serving food, Hotels to non residents and restaurants, perhaps he'll propose an umbrella and rain coat be sent to every citizen in the state FFS.

This is just shocking stuff, they actually think progress has been made, are they deluded and new tonight 32 nursing home outbreaks. God help us all is all I can say. Finally, very, very, very telling Not a member of NPHET in sight at this shambolic press conference.

NPHET wanted a level 5 to be announced. The goverment overruled them.
    I'm not surprised NPHET don't want to be at the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like NPHET got a bit of a dressing down today for their antics last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Leo on Claire Byrne for the past 15mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I’d say NPHET would want to avoid press considering the absolute mess they made of yesterday. Whatever about the rights or wrongs or stats of whatever level an intentional leak to the press is disgraceful, level 5 would have long term consequences for Ireland and the stress and anguish many felt for 24 hours as a result of the actions of public health officials is awful. Time and again communication has been pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

You think something is ‘erm, wrong’ because we’re testing at a higher rate than a country at the other wide of the world.

What do you think is wrong? Besides intimating an assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

McHardcore wrote: »
    NPHET wanted a level 5 to be announced. The goverment overruled them.
    I'm not surprised NPHET don't want to be at the conference.

Poor Eamonn Ryan, he's like a rabbit staring into headlights, no one asking him questions, infact, no one really understands why he's there.

Donnelly desperately trying to portray all is fine with NPHET, it's a train crash waiting to happen.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Leo on Claire Byrne for the past 15mins.

well done Leo! Sounding like a boss - about time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Thank God Tony came back in the nick of time to whip the lazy government and populace into shape. Level 5 into the new year hopefully coming soon. Should teach the scuts a lesson

Thank God neither you or Tony hooligan are in charge then so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Hotirish

Leo completely nailed that interview, credit where it’s due!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Thought Varadkar did well on Claire Byrne Live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Why would u wish level 5 on our economy, it’s a warning people might heed it .
    Bar the People on the dole everyone else will lose big time if this country goes to level 5 again !

Ha! Ronan Gylnn the substitute teacher, and Holohan the Headmaster... coming back a day early and stirring up the sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Holohan is an experienced operator at the highest level for a long time. Only a fool would think he did what he did by negligence and ignorance. Whatever the reasons - and I would agree with the thrust given by this poster - it was a thought out and purposeful decision. He knew what the fall out would be. And he knew they would never agree to it.

The cynic in me would say that he knows where this is going - where it really has to go - and he was getting his defence in early. ‘I told you to go to defcon 5.’

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Calls now being made for Holohan to resign

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

Why would u wish level 5 on our economy, it’s a warning people might heed it .
    Bar the People on the dole everyone else will lose big time if this country goes to level 5 again !

**** the economy. Jobs and money can come back. People's grannies can't.

Hotirish wrote: »
    Leo completely nailed that interview, credit where it’s due!

I'd say Leo and MM were absolutely livid with NPHT and Tony Holohan yesterday. Leo sounded on fire and I'd say a lot more was said to Tony Holohan behind closed doors today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Nobody in this country will accept level 5.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Calls now being made for Holohan to resign

Not a hope, if he can survive the Cervical check scandal he can survive anything!

Advertisement