Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wouldn't be surprised if he made it up but NPHET are still talking to the media on the sly

https://twitter.com/ConalThomas/status/1313437641841483778?s=19

They have no honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wouldn't be surprised if he made it up but NPHET are still talking to the media on the sly

https://twitter.com/ConalThomas/status/1313437641841483778?s=19

They have no honour.

And yet some people will try to tell you that it was some sort of double bluff by Leo who released the info himself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You are like an old broken record. You can't see the wood for the trees. I'm talking about the future and you are still reminiscing about things that happened in the early summer. Keep your head, take your vaccine and wear your mask like a good son of "Ireland"

Dazzler, maybe you can help me.

Why is the uptake rate of the flu vaccine among health care worker's as low as 53%??

Dazzler, maybe you can help me.

Why is the uptake rate of the flu vaccine among health care worker's as low as 53%??

Maternity leave, sick leave, people think they are going so don't need to take their flu vaccine, people on nightshifts, laziness. Personally I've always took my flu vaccine as it's the right thing to do. Stops spread of flu as well.

You can't be anti vaccine if you want restrictions to be eased.

Also, take up by health care workers is far higher than general population so I don't really see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So NPHET a team of our best doctors and experts in the country only plan for dealing with the virus is to lock everyone away in their houses for weeks. Is that it, i could have come up with that. Hardly fills you with optimisim.

• Advertisement

Maternity leave, sick leave, people think they are going so don't need to take their flu vaccine, people on nightshifts, laziness. Personally I've always took my flu vaccine as it's the right thing to do. Stops spread of flu as well.

You can't be anti vaccine if you want restrictions to be eased.

Also, take up by health care workers is far higher than general population so I don't really see your point.

Im not anti vaccer Dazzler Ill be first up to get back to some normality.

Im trying to calculate the uptake of vaccines of different seasonal illness.

Most of your points are a bit vague, but as regards the bolded one, is influenza afraid of the dark or why is that relevant?

I think a massive problem is that so many people, usually lacking empathy, got themselves into Medicine for the status. Dentistry used to have the reputation but in my experience the roles have reversed. As much as I agreed with him yesterday, Varadkar is one of them. He whizzed his 600 leaving cert points but the status of being a doctor wasn't enough.

NPHET are a collection of ultra ambitious people, who were not Intent on the act of helping people but of chasing status. They worked for promotions, chasing higher status. Your good doctor is on the ground helping individuals, these ****ers at NPHET were all chasing status.

NPHET are a collection of smug, snobby people who lack empathy. They don't care for us plebs, we are too stupid to take care of ourselves. They need to make our decisions for us.

NPHET leaking letters and information to journalists says it all. They conspired and thought they were smarter than the government. They sat around their oak table thinking the government will be under too much pressure to go against it. They got high on the smell of their own farts but essentially came up against one of their own, Varadkar. A man entirely devoid of empathy, who was far too ambitious for status to stay in the world of medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And yet some people will try to tell you that it was some sort of double bluff by Leo who released the info himself. :rolleyes:
    There are plenty of possible candidates who could have given it to a lackey and told them to find a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I think a massive problem is that so many people, usually lacking empathy, got themselves into Medicine for the status. Dentistry used to have the reputation but in my experience the roles have reversed. As much as I agreed with him yesterday, Varadkar is one of them. He whizzed his 600 leaving cert points but the status of being a doctor wasn't enough.

NPHET are a collection of ultra ambitious people, who were not Intent on the act of helping people but of chasing status. They worked for promotions, chasing higher status. Your good doctor is on the ground helping individuals, these ****ers at NPHET were all chasing status.

NPHET are a collection of smug, snobby people who lack empathy. They don't care for us plebs, we are too stupid to take care of ourselves. They need to make our decisions for us.

NPHET leaking letters and information to journalists says it all. They conspired and thought they were smarter than the government. They sat around their oak table thinking the government will be under too much pressure to go against it. They got high on the smell of their own farts but essentially came up against one of their own, Varadkar. A man entirely devoid of empathy, who was far too ambitious for status to stay in the world of medicine.

Spot on, no words to add 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Most of your points are a bit vague, but as regards the bolded one, is influenza afraid of the dark or why is that relevant?

:D:D:D WASTED.

That was very good I thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Those used to cushy 9 to 5 jobs wouldn't understand .
    People are so tired after working a 12 hour nightshift to hang around for another hour for the occupational health to come on duty before they go home . Many have long distances to commute.
    And some have to go home and get children out to school or creche before they hit the hay for a few hours .
    And finally your figures are outdated Fintan. That was 2016 .
    The uptake for flu vaccine is closer to 67% now generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

would you look at this? NPHET has people everywhere including FG meetings where more leaks are occurring. Obviously a NPHET mole in the party :D:D:D

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-varadkar-tells-tds-of-possible-lockdown-on-horizon-1.4373514

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Goldengirl wrote: »
    People are so tired after working a 12 hour nightshift to hang around for another hour for the occupational health to come on duty before they go home . Many have long distances to commute.
    And some have to go home and get children out to school or creche before they hit the hay for a few hours .

I would not say that shift work or commute is an excuse. These people work in an environment where they should expect to be exposed. Not a question of if but when. Then all the talk and ads how vulnerable or frontline or everyone should take it coming from their own workplace or colleagues. To say that half of them does not take it due to feeling tired after shift work or commute is a poor excuse. It is actually not believable.
    Mainly because most of them can take it at the place where they work and do not even need to go anywhere else to have it. If they want it so. Not many people do night shifts exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vieira82 wrote: »
    would you look at this? NPHET has people everywhere including FG meetings where more leaks are occurring. Obviously a NPHET mole in the party :D:D:D

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-varadkar-tells-tds-of-possible-lockdown-on-horizon-1.4373514
    Leaks are what keep journalists employed! NPHET being there or not will not change that.

So now your logic is that because leaks exist, that the one on Sunday could not have been from NPHET?

Are you aware of how faulty that logic is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

My sympathies with those night shift workers, it can't be easy. Would they not just get jabbed while at work though? A few years ago I went to the US for a project with a large, well known company. Over a couple of days their HR staff had organised a flu clinic to come in and people just came down from their offices and desks, got jabbed, went right back to it. They had an evening clinic too, some of the late workaholics went for that option. Never seen anything like it here... but surely it can be done.

My sympathies with those night shift workers, it can't be easy. Would they not just get jabbed while at work though? A few years ago I went to the US for a project with a large, well known company. Over a couple of days their HR staff had organised a flu clinic to come in and people just came down from their offices and desks, got jabbed, went right back to it. They had an evening clinic too, some of the late workaholics went for that option. Never seen anything like it here... but surely it can be done.

It can, and has been done. I’ve had mine at work, a VHI service I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I thought there was a quote somewhere from either Leo or somebody in NPHET more definitively ruling out a return to national restrictions, but the best I can find is NPHET chairman Cillian de Gascun in July saying that thanks to the improvement in infrastructure in terms of public health, testing and contract tracing should result in an ability to target clusters quickly and isolate contacts locally, rather than impose further national-level restrictions. Not sure how local locking down three counties is, or all of Dublin. And that didn't work anyway.

Three months later and here we are. It turns out we're not even identifying how clusters start, and never have been. 72% of them just magically spawn in people's homes. Has anyone checked the water? (Plot twist: it actually is the water!)

So that was a complete load of tripe.

For good measure, here he is two weeks ago saying that significant further restrictions might be needed (I think - it's paywalled so I'm going by the headline). Man should get his memory tested.

So now your logic is that because leaks exist, that the one on Sunday could not have been from NPHET?

Are you aware of how faulty that logic is?

That was always my logic mate, specifically the amount of leaks this executive has had in months in power. Feel free to read my other comments on this thread :)

And please enlighten me on how faulty it is. Bathe me in your inane knowledge of things. Though like others did before all they bothered to do is name calling and typical ad hominem arguments... but please go ahead :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The latest figures available are from 2019 and they show the take up among nursing staff varied from 29.9% to 59.9% depending on the hospital group.

https://www.hpsc.ie/az/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/influenzaandhealthcareworkers/hcwinfluenzavaccineuptakereports/

So I'd suggest your 67% figure is absolute nonsense.

It's a laughable low take-up by nurses.

I guess they were all just "so tired" they couldn't be arsed to get a vaccine that would protect the vulnerable people they come into contact with.

• Advertisement

You have to do training to administer the flu vaccine. You also can't give it to yourself.

On nights, there is usually a skeleton staff on. Also, if you work night shifts consistently, you won't be available during the day to take the training to administer the flu vaccine.

The latest figures available are from 2019 and they show the take up among nursing staff varied from 29.9% to 59.9% depending on the hospital group.

https://www.hpsc.ie/az/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/influenzaandhealthcareworkers/hcwinfluenzavaccineuptakereports/

So I'd suggest your 67% figure is absolute nonsense.

It's a laughable low take-up by nurses.

I guess they were all just "so tired" they couldn't be arsed to get a vaccine that would protect the vulnerable people they come into contact with.

I am not sure if you are deliberately obfuscating but you have just picked up a subset of staff in nursing homes. It's not representative nationally or indeed in hospitals.

You should probabaly be able to understand your statistics before you run down a group of people who are keeping the HSE running.

That was always my logic mate, specifically the amount of leaks this executive has had in months in power. Feel free to read my other comments on this thread :)

And please enlighten me on how faulty it is. Bathe me in your inane knowledge of things. Though like others did before all they bothered to do is name calling and typical ad hominem arguments... but please go ahead :D:D:D

Enlighten you on how illogical it is to say that one leak from government means that all leaks come from government? Really? You can't see for yourself how clearly wrong that is?

So NPHET could release whatever they wanted to RTE tonight and your response would be "There were leaks from the government previously so that leak could not have come from NPHET."

That sure is some solid reasoning.

Enlighten you on how illogical it is to say that one leak from government means that all leaks come from government? Really? You can't see for yourself how clearly wrong that is?

So NPHET could release whatever they wanted to RTE tonight and your response would be "There were leaks from the government previously so that leak could not have come from NPHET."

That sure is some solid reasoning.

It is a matter of probability. You know simple math's? If you got 50 of something and zero of another then it's probable that it is a 51 and not a 1... Does that make sense? Or am I the illogical naïve of the whole thread that needs to be educated by the know it all's around here? :)

If you show me NPHET gave the letter to RTE I will stand corrected though as I explained before that would be completely illogical for them to do so.

That was always my logic mate, specifically the amount of leaks this executive has had in months in power.

It is a matter of probability. You know simple math's?

It isn't maths, its english. Re read the posts and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I am not sure if you are deliberately obfuscating but you have just picked up a subset of staff in nursing homes. It's not representative nationally or indeed in hospitals.

You should probabaly be able to understand your statistics before you run down a group of people who are keeping the HSE running.

Why don't you pull out the proper figures for us so like a good lad.

I'll wait.

There was no benefit for the government leaking the letter. They know they would be crucified if they got it wrong and I have been getting the sense in recent weeks that they are starting to weigh up the economic factor to any further lockdowns. Something that always had to be addressed.

Media will try and sting government figures with the question of Economy V Public Health, as Claire Byrne did the other night. It is a cheap, immature, point scoring game that benefits nobody. But we always knew that the moment would have to be addressed where we had to weigh them up together.

This isn't an ebola type Virus. We can live with it but unfortunately the weaker people in society will suffer. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Why don't you pull out the proper figures for us so like a good lad.

I'll wait.

See, this is an example of when you should not just click on the first link when you get your google search results.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/healthcare-workers/

"In 2019/2020 there was an increase in flu vaccine uptake both in hospital staff (58.32% compared to 53.2.8% in 2018/2019) and in staff working in long term care facilities (where there was a slight increase in uptake 43.1% compared to 42.2% in 2018/2019)"

Your figures were relatively correct but from misunderstanding rather than anything else.

The statistics in my hospital are 69% from last year. This information is not available in the public domain for the plebeians unfortunately.

So there we have it, genuine reasons to spread a lethal illness to vulnerable people.

• Advertisement

It isn't maths, its english. Re read the posts and try again.

Nice way to prove me right. Thank you :)

Advertisement