Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 problem with audio

Options
  • 03-09-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Got a second hand iphone 8 off adverts. all seemed well with it but discovered a problem

The earpiece, speaker and microphone all work for making regular phone calls, listening to audio.

However the mic wont work when I want to use it in an app.
    Example

Whatsapp. Make a call on audio or video or even just record an audio message. Mic Wont work. Just records static if I try to record.

Google hangouts. On a conference Im unmuted but others cant hear me.

Ive verified in settings that the apps can access the mic.

Is there a different mic for phone calls then there is apps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

quick update, turns out iphone 8 comes with 3 mics.

Rear video audio ok
    Selfie video audio ok
    Record memo audio ok

So its ONLY apps that have the problem.

Settings > privacy > Microphone is enabled for the apps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Have you checked Restrictions to see that there's no issue?

Settings > Screen Time (enable if not already done) > Content and Privacy Restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

brophs wrote: »
    Have you checked Restrictions to see that there's no issue?

Settings > Screen Time (enable if not already done) > Content and Privacy Restrictions

Didnt know about it but I checked there and its all ok. I googled everything yesterday and this is apparently not an uncommon problem.

Lots of solutions
    Check the permissions to use the mic
    hard reset
    update
    app reinstall
    Sit in a chair and turn round 3 times chanting Mark Zucks name (which I was quite hopeful would word) .

No avail.
    Phone audio works
    Siri works
    Voice memos works
    Audio on back and front video works.

Its only apps it wont work on. tested whatsapp, google hangouts and viber, all same problem. If I record a voice message in a whatsapp/viber message its just low distortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Tbh, in that case I would say the next most obvious suggestion is setting the phone up as a new phone without using a backup and see does that solve the issue when using 3rd party apps.

Otherwise, the suggestion on this page seems to be to clean the microphones with a dry toothbrush to dislodge any debris

https://www.ikream.com/iphone-8-plus-microphone-that-is-not-working-27780

I’d also clean out the lint that is probably in the charging port with a cocktail sausage stick to see if that helps, albeit I’d be surprised if that was it. Probably best to try those two first and see if the easy fixes work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP have you any profiles installed that may be preventing access. If not then I would go with Brophs suggested to help rule out any software glitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

Have you checked if audio works, when using a headset ?

Advertisement