Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery Store not making people wear masks

Options
  • 03-09-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this is a consumer issue directly but looking for opinions.

The local grocery store , which is a big chain in UK and Ireland as smaller outfit near the bottom of my estate. It does implement people entering to wear a mask.

On any given time id go in for milk bread etc there would 4/5 people in there without a mask.

This shop as many larger stores nearby where security wont let you in

ive seen nurses and doctors, people who worked on the front line complain to the staff about this, make points and point people to them but nothing seems to be working

I have yet to say anything but it starting to annoy me that this is the case

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't believe that it is the responsibility of the shop to enforce that law.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It shouldn’t be up to retail staff to enforce well known mandatory mask wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd just avoid shopping there.

...but let the shop know why you're going elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Many smaller shops are like this.
    It's up to you whether you want to shop there.
    You should be safe enough anyway as long as you wear your mask

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Not staffs job to enforce anything. Staff are there to take payment and ensure shelves are stocked not enforce mask wearing.

I’m sure the multinational will be heartbroken once the minimum wager on the tills tells the shareholders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Can you imagine the grief the staff would take if they attempted to enforce a mask mandate? I mean there was a bus driver in france murdered for trying to enforce the mask rule!

There isnt a single person in ireland who doesnt now they should be wearing a mask. The ones who dont are making a conscious choice not to. And the % of nutters in that group would be all too high.

Asking a kid staking the shelf, or on the till to take these people on, would actually be endangering them.

On a side note, not everyone can wear a mask. I wouldnt want the people who cannot to be embarrassed by staff in a shop querying their medical condition, to see if its on the 'allowed' list of excuses.

It works best on an honour system where people take responsibility.

No lawsuits yet for defamation of character by those who are exempt from mask wearing but asked to

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I agree. There's one shop I just don't go to now.

It's not the fault of the staff and in fact, I think most retail and security staff have done trojan work through all of this. It's been hard on them, having to do stuff that was new to them too.

It's about personal responsibility, imo, and nobody should have to remind people that masks / face coverings are mandatory in certain places now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've seen several social media postings from various retailers saying it's up to the gardai to deal with people not wearing masks ,
    It seems retailers aren't making staff wear team either (not our responsibility ) so what's the point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can you imagine the grief the staff would take if they attempted to enforce a mask mandate? I mean there was a bus driver in france murdered for trying to enforce the mask rule!

There isnt a single person in ireland who doesnt now they should be wearing a mask. The ones who dont are making a conscious choice not to. And the % of nutters in that group would be all too high.

Asking a kid staking the shelf, or on the till to take these people on, would actually be endangering them.

On a side note, not everyone can wear a mask. I wouldnt want the people who cannot to be embarrassed by staff in a shop querying their medical condition, to see if its on the 'allowed' list of excuses.

It works best on an honour system where people take responsibility.

Someone reported a doctor here because the doctor wouldn't give them a letter of exemption. The person didn't have any underlying conditions to prevent them from wearing a mask. Just pure selfish and to report a doctor like that.

These are dangerous people in my opinion. And they have came out with things like people who don't wear masks are more likely to be narcissists or psychopaths.

I love Aldi and Lidl's green and red light system. It would be great if there was such a system that would recognise masks on people and only let those people in. Red light if you don't have a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No lawsuits yet for defamation of character by those who are exempt from mask wearing but asked to

"defamation of character"?
    Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't believe that it is the responsibility of the shop to enforce that law.

I've seen this argument everywhere. It's the responsibility of shop staff to enforce alcohol and tobacco laws. I don't really understand why this is any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I love Aldi and Lidl's green and red light system. It would be great if there was such a system that would recognise masks on people and only let those people in. Red light if you don't have a mask.

Dublin? Haven't seen it here tbh.

gozunda wrote: »
    Dublin? Haven't seen it here tbh.

If you're asking about to the geen and red light system? It's in Cork as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I went to a cafe for lunch and didn't bring a mask -they have perspex screens at the till.

On the way home I decided to stop by the paint shop. went into the shop not wearing a mask, the shopkeeper wasn't wearing a mask, and 3 other customers weren't either -in fairness to one, he had a mask lowered to his neck so probably removed it to fit in.

the other day i was in tesco and there was some old chap hacking up a lung. it was disgusting. i don't know if he was wearing a mask but that's where the danger is. Not from people breathing and social distancing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've seen this argument everywhere. It's the responsibility of shop staff to enforce alcohol and tobacco laws. I don't really understand why this is any different.

Bit of a difference though as you need a licence to sell those products. And staff don't exactly enforce those laws they just ask for ID and refuse to allow the purchase but staff are powerless if a 16 year old was to try and buy a 6 pack and just dump the money on counter and walk with it.

Also what's to stop someone from going in to a shop to browse not buy anything without a mask or only put on a mask when they go to pay at the till.

antix80 wrote: »
    I went to a cafe for lunch and didn't bring a mask -they have perspex screens at the till.

On the way home I decided to stop by the paint shop. went into the shop not wearing a mask, the shopkeeper wasn't wearing a mask, and 3 other customers weren't either -in fairness to one, he had a mask lowered to his neck so probably removed it to fit in.

the other day i was in tesco and there was some old chap hacking up a lung. it was disgusting. i don't know if he was wearing a mask but that's where the danger is. Not from people breathing and social distancing.

You can still spread covid by just breathing. When you breathe you exhale even smaller particles than coughing. And these smaller particles can linger in the air and has been found that it can travel 27 feet away.

How they done their tests and found out how far it travelled and by what means, I don't know. But the danger is in people coughing, sneezing, talking, shouting, singing and breathing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It would be impossible to implement such a system. What about exemptions? I know people now are using various excuses as to why they cannot wear a mask. Even if security question everyone walking through the door, to what authority do they have to question if somebody uses health reasons on not wearing a mask? They are not medically accredited to make judgements on people's health. So it would be back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

antix80 wrote: »

People will avoid the coughing old boy and take extra care around him.

The big danger is in any one of those other maskless people (yourself included) who may have had an asymptomatic case of covid and was spreading it unknowingly to everyone they spent too much time close to.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

GT89 wrote: »
    Not staffs job to enforce anything. Staff are there to take payment and ensure shelves are stocked not enforce mask wearing.

What would be your expectation if someone went into a shop smoking a cigarette, blowing smoke over kids, grannies, shop workers etc? Just shrug your shoulders and say it's not the staff's responsibility to enforce the law, what can you do?

I haven't read either law but I assume in one law it states that it is illegal to sell alcohol whereas the other stipulates that a mask must be worn when in a shop, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I don't really WANT TO understand why this is any different.

there fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

im sure they will actually give a ****. shop staff don't get paid to police the supermarket aswell as do there own job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Gatling wrote: »
    It seems retailers aren't making staff wear team either (not our responsibility ) so what's the point
    No requirement for staff to wear face coverings if there is a protective barrier (perspex) between them and the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

One shop here doesn't enforce mask wearing, so I decided to leave after telling the manger (who knows me well from regularly using the shop) and I now use another shop where customers are not allowed in without a mask. The second shop has no difficulty telling customers to wear a mask or go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You can still spread covid by just breathing. When you breathe you exhale even smaller particles than coughing. And these smaller particles can linger in the air and has been found that it can travel 27 feet away.

How they done their tests and found out how far it travelled and by what means, I don't know. But the danger is in people coughing, sneezing, talking, shouting, singing and breathing.

you're believing too much stuff on fakebook

Ask for the proof and the context.

In perfect laboratory conditions in a sealed compartment and using the maximum breath someone can possibly give, someone with a high level of a virus could "theoretically" transmit it in the air for 8metres.

Theoretically every human can live to 110 years old.

Context is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are countless threads on this subject in the dedicated Coronavirus forum which I'd suggest you go post in instead; as this is already gone way off topic for Consumer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement