Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay and spend scheme

Options
  • 03-09-2020 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,094 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if I missed a thread in this already.
    Anyone the wiser about the practicalities of this?
    Is it just ROI or does NI count?

Also could a nice admin fix my terrible spelling in the title? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gmisk wrote: »

ROI of course, why would you get a tax break for supporting the UK economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

As far as i know it's ROI only.

Biggest drawback is it doesn't start until 01st October, when everyone is settling down for the winter.

You need to have a minimum spend of €25 for any one receipt, so i intend to keep all receipts for meals out, any overnight stay etc. from October to April 2021.
    I would say there would easily be €625 ( or €1,250 between two) accumulated, and then just lash in a claim.

Anyone who’s claimed back anything- dental, home improvements etc- via online revenue will know that this is easily claimed. I’ve regularly taken winter breaks in Ireland through the years so I’m looking forward to my refund.
    However, it is essentially for an exclusive club - those who pay a significant level of tax- so the Long term unemployed, those on a pension only, won’t benefit. While I’m happy, I’d prefer if more people could benefit from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The point of "stay" is to remain in the Republic :)

Provision of holiday accommodation that is registered with Fáilte Ireland – including
    • accommodation in hotels, guest houses, B&Bs
    • self-catering accommodation,
    • caravan and camping parks, and holiday camps.
    • Sale of Food and drinks (excluding alcohol) served in a café, restaurant, hotel or pub may also qualify for relief. (Not takeaway)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,094 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thanks for responses.

It being only in ROI makes sense....it's been a looong day... apologies

It seems a bit convuluted to me, I had a quick look at hotels that are illegible in Cork for example and it returned....one.

Maybe something along the lines of the eat out to help out in the UK would have been better? Definitely easier to manage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It seems a bit convuluted to me, I had a quick look at hotels that are illegible in Cork for example and it returned....one.
    Restaurants and hotels have to sign up. The scheme has just been launched. Check it again in a few weeks.

I'm seen prices rise for October for accommodation since I booked about 1 week ago- definitely in the 20-30% range- the extra publicity is driving up prices on hotels so "buyer beware" is what I'd say. If you don't like the price of accommodation online give the hotel a shout and try and bargain hard-

I'm not accusing the hotels of anything as simply, increased demand drives prices up anyway in Ireland and I've seen that many times before and also, their booking tech these days responds quickly to consumer demand.

But while this "news" was known since July, the increased publicity has generated increased prices now as there is evidently increased interest in October breaks.

If you want an October break in a decent hotel, book now- as rooms will be gone and also, prices will definitely head upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Is it going to be possible to eat in restaurants in your own town, gather the receipts and then throw in a claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Anyone who’s claimed back anything- dental, home improvements etc- via online revenue will know that this is easily claimed. I’ve regularly taken winter breaks in Ireland through the years so I’m looking forward to my refund.
    However, it is essentially for an exclusive club - those who pay a significant level of tax- so the Long term unemployed, those on a pension only, won’t benefit. While I’m happy, I’d prefer if more people could benefit from it too.

Worra bow the homeless Joe?

This "exclusive club" of high tax payers include a lot of ordinary people who made an effort to better themselves and their tax supports pensioners, long term unemployed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Allinall wrote: »
    Biggest drawback is it doesn't start until 01st October, when everyone is settling down for the winter.

Possibly the dumbest aspect of this scheme.

Only suits high rollers who holiday in winter.

• Advertisement

Ars you for real? "High rollers" arent the only people who go on breaks. Visit any hotel in Ireland on any weekend over the Autumn, Winter and you will find it full of ordinary people.
    Before the pandemic thousands would be getting away to Winter sun in Lanzarote. Now that they cant travel they will spend at home.
    The usual commentators pushing the poor mouth line and begrudging anyone with a few Euro to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgware wrote: »
    Ars you for real? "High rollers" arent the only people who go on breaks. Visit any hotel in Ireland on any weekend over the Autumn, Winter and you will find it full of ordinary people.
    Before the pandemic thousands would be getting away to Winter sun in Lanzarote. Now that they cant travel they will spend at home.
    The usual commentators pushing the poor mouth line and begrudging anyone with a few Euro to spend

Maybe you like to holiday in Nov, whatever.

"Full". Really? If there's an event on, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Capping it at €625 per individual or €1250 for a couple, and making the minimum entry €25 hardly makes it exclusive to the "high rollers" as you call them now does it ?

The opposite actually.

Myself and my wife can go to the local pub, get a meal and have a few drinks and claim some of the cost back in tax relief.

Actually we can do it a few times over the next few months using the scheme.

Edgware wrote: »
    Worra bow the homeless Joe?

This "exclusive club" of high tax payers include a lot of ordinary people who made an effort to better themselves and their tax supports pensioners, long term unemployed etc

Idiot post- my only point was this scheme does not benefit all citizens- in my opinion it should

Idiot post- my only point was this scheme does not benefit all citizens- in my opinion it should
    Idiot post. Please tell me how a tax relief scheme can benefit people who dont pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Aim of the scheme isn't to benefit citizens, it's to benefit the hospitality industry and stimulate spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Can i just spend the lot on drink or whats the deal , if i file 600 quid of pints will i get my tax back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Can i just spend the lot on drink or whats the deal , if i file 600 quid of pints will i get my tax back

Doesn’t include alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

My missus will be delighted to hear I'm a high roller now since we often go for a weekend away around the Christmas period. Should've told her last year when we were wandering around Galway christmas market with a hot chocolate that she was getting a look at how the other half lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    My missus will be delighted to hear I'm a high roller now since we often go for a weekend away around the Christmas period. Should've told her last year when we were wandering around Galway christmas market with a hot chocolate that she was getting a look at how the other half lives.

In fairness the 'Christmas market' in Galway is crap and will give you no idea how the other half lives.
    Try Cologne/Prague if you want a proper Christmas market although no tax incentive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bit disappointing the unemployment and homeless can't avail of this offer, the winter months bring a lot of mental health issues so it would be nice for them to have a break too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Bit disappointing the unemployment and homeless can't avail of this offer, the winter months bring a lot of mental health issues so it would be nice for them to have a break too

I've the sarcasm meter turned on full while reading that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

2/10 , try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

In fairness the 'Christmas market' in Galway is crap and will give you no idea how the other half lives.
    Try Cologne/Prague if you want a proper Christmas market although no tax incentive.

I suspect you may have missed the sarcasm. The key was that I don't think a dander around the Galway Christmas market is experiencing how the other half live, contrary to the previous poster stating that this would only benefit high rollers.

In saying that, a few years back, I was in Vienna for the Christmas Market and it was absolutely lovely......maybe I am a high roller after all....though with a few cheapo Ryanair flights, it probably worked out less expensive overall than the weekend in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

deisedevil wrote: »
    Is it going to be possible to eat in restaurants in your own town, gather the receipts and then throw in a claim?

Yes, you are stay-cationing in the truest sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Nothing stopping them from having a break if they can afford it. In reality €125 tax credit next year won't have anyone going on a €625 staycation if they couldn't already afford it

Lot of people were disappointed that during the lockdown one of the biggest issues for people on social welfare was the prospect of losing their benefits if they went on holiday while people who were working couldn’t afford to.

It’s strange that there is an issue providing a tax rebate to people who pay tax when there wasn’t one previously. More strange that if nothing was provided, there would be no issue. Before anyone says that people going on holiday had saved all year their social to do so, but constantly hearing the benefit for not working is too low to survive. In other words, they get a tax rebate all year i.e. rebates tax from the people who pay it.

Now, I don’t mean any of the above but making a ridiculous argument to show how ridiculous yours is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

what happens if you don't pay taxes
    as all your money is from illegal sources

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    what happens if you don't pay taxes
    as all your money is from illegal sources

Rule number 1...you always have to pay money. How else can you clean it and answer source of funds. The establishment you are cleaning it through, usually a restaurant or a shop can give you the receipts. It actually adds more legitimacy to the enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I love how the Government [and their cheerleaders in the media] are talking out of both sides of their mouths here. They want us to have "staycations" in one instance, but are determined to lock us down again the next.

Advertisement