Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like to work in a COVID testing facility as a lab technician?

Options
  • 03-09-2020 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am thinking for applying for a position in a testing facility but am nervous that its quite an important role. I have a degree in neuroscience but took a year out so am hoping to get my foot in the door. Is there a lot of pressure considering that if you mix up a result someone may receive the wrong diagnosis, or is it more laidback monotonous work? What does your day to day look like? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

ScienceUCD wrote: »
    I am thinking for applying for a position in a testing facility but am nervous that its quite an important role. I have a degree in neuroscience but took a year out so am hoping to get my foot in the door. Is there a lot of pressure considering that if you mix up a result someone may receive the wrong diagnosis, or is it more laidback monotonous work? What does your day to day look like? Thanks in advance!

I can't comment on the role you are looking for but in a normal lab testing environment for viruses it's usually a clean room environment, at a guess fully suited/protected. (It's been 20years since I worked as a QC analyst)

Covid is new and may be gone in 6 or 12 months , which could mean your role may be redundant, there are quite a few entry level roles advertised which can help you gain experience.

Loads of lab analysis jobs throughout the country through recruitment agencies... Where did you see the job advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ScienceUCD

Yeah, I'm looking at it as more of an entry role with the hope of moving on to research after 6 to 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ScienceUCD

I can't comment on the role you are looking for but in a normal lab testing environment for viruses it's usually a clean room environment, at a guess fully suited/protected. (It's been 20years since I worked as a QC analyst)

Covid is new and may be gone in 6 or 12 months , which could mean your role may be redundant, there are quite a few entry level roles advertised which can help you gain experience.

Loads of lab analysis jobs throughout the country through recruitment agencies... Where did you see the job advertised?
    Saw it advertised on linkedin, aimed at graduates, unlike the others, which often require 1 years experience working in a lab.

Advertisement