Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

Teach30 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding it difficult to stay on top of things? The increased workload that is.. trying to catchup on course with 6th year, check work on classroom, upload work for students onto classroom, correct copies, plan ahead for photocopying, stay behind and sanitise at end of day when possible, Give tests and correct Them quickly in case of another lockdown. I’m really feeling not able.

I’ve come home the last week and feel so behind on things. I know I’ll spend tomorrow and Sunday trying to prepare. I haven’t been for a walk in the evening in weeks and I’m constantly tired. My legs this evening gave up and I had to sit down to teach class. Sorry for rant.

If anyone had advice on coping with the additional work please fire away..

Take a break this weekend and switch off. Go for a walk and do something nice for yourself. You can't run on empty.

For class tests, I'm correcting them with the students in class then they take a photo of their test and upload it to Google classroom. I usually have one section that I will correct online then give them their total mark online. I'll ask them to comment on what they did well and what they need to work on.
    If you have access to devices, Google forms is a great way to give tests. It makes correcting much quicker.
    I use Mote to record a voice message with feedback. You can add it to your Google classroom. It makes correcting written work much easier. I ask the students to add corrections in a different coloured pen or turn in a second draft.
    I hope some of that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Panga wrote: »
    Take a break this weekend and switch off. Go for a walk and do something nice for yourself. You can't run on empty.

For class tests, I'm correcting them with the students in class then they take a photo of their test and upload it to Google classroom. I usually have one section that I will correct online then give them their total mark online. I'll ask them to comment on what they did well and what they need to work on.
    If you have access to devices, Google forms is a great way to give tests. It makes correcting much quicker.
    I use Mote to record a voice message with feedback. You can add it to your Google classroom. It makes correcting written work much easier. I ask the students to add corrections in a different coloured pen or turn in a second draft.

Great ideas thanks, unfortunately kids dont have access to devices in school and only one set of laptops so wouldn’t be fair to Book them for every class but will try the idea of google forms test every once and a while with juniors. I find 6th year tests will take me all Sunday to correct I’m very slow at them. Would love to take the weekend off but literally can’t or I’d be so overwhelmed come Monday.

Trying get better at google classroom and make it more efficient but it takes ages to go through their work or is it just me? I find it much faster to have a physical notes copy to correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Panga wrote: »

Teachers need to be careful to avoid burnout. Teaching online with the lesson planning and preparation, correcting homework, providing feedback on tests, all is very demanding. In a pandemic teachers cannot be expected to arrive at the same outcomes regardless of what people say. Take time out each day and at weekends to look after yourselves. I believe Schools to be highly stressful places at the best of times, so much more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I hated online. Found it very hard to switch off as I tried my best to be available when needed. Thing was most kids and parents only found fault no matter what was done provided for them. I learned after a while to more or less work school hours and if that meant being a day behind then so be it.

You are no good to anyone if you are burning out already. You need to set time for school, time for preparation/marking and most importantly time for yourself.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The unions will do SFA. Takes 6 weeks from motion to ballot. HSE has refused to meet unions.
    Your best hope are current ballots which deal with a range of issues bar level 5.
    I'd say if we go to L5 they HSE will meet unions but for exactly what I'm not sure. If NPHET say they should open they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Use google forms or Edpuzzle for assessments where possible. Keep the manual correction to a minimum. Record model solutions and get them to correct their work and upload their corrected work to show you they did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Remember that if we go back into remote teaching and learning, at both primary and second level none of our subjects/specifications etc were designed to be delivered as online courses.
    You can't be expected to maintain the ssme pace of tuition as possible in a normal classroom setting. Cover what you reasonably can with the resources at your, and your students disposal.
    I have given up stressing about completing everything for my third years. We all saw how yhe JC exam was easily forgotten about last May, and id say the same could hsppen again. If i get the specification complete great, if not, do be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The unions will do SFA. Takes 6 weeks from motion to ballot. HSE has refused to meet unions.
    Your best hope are current ballots which deal with a range of issues bar level 5.
    I'd say if we go to L5 they HSE will meet unions but for exactly what I'm not sure. If NPHET say they should open they will.

A work to rule will suffice and be enough to close the school on H&S grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

doc_17 wrote: »
    I'd say the Unions will have something to say about the continued presence of teachers at daily super spreader events.
    Sad thing is that I have zero expectation from my union. They bothering would surprise me.

Use google forms or Edpuzzle for assessments where possible. Keep the manual correction to a minimum. Record model solutions and get them to correct their work and upload their corrected work to show you they did it

Not having devices is the problem there. And I’ve a senior classes so firms not suitable at all.
    Model solution not sure if they work v well for my subject as many answers are accepted!

I haven’t a problem taking copies up as it’s so much faster than online correcting. But the amount of assessments we are giving/expected to give to cover ourselves in case of predicted grades again is a pain.

Cheers for advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not having devices is the problem there. And I’ve a senior classes so firms not suitable at all.
    Model solution not sure if they work v well for my subject as many answers are accepted!

I haven’t a problem taking copies up as it’s so much faster than online correcting. But the amount of assessments we are giving/expected to give to cover ourselves in case of predicted grades again is a pain.

Cheers for advice

Flip the classroom sorry. I meant to say that in the post! So set them to do it at home. Run a class survey if your school hasn’t already done to to check their access. Depending on where you are in the country I bet most of them have access to device/internet even if it’s mobile internet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Anyone else finding it difficult to stay on top of things? The increased workload that is.. trying to catchup on course with 6th year, check work on classroom, upload work for students onto classroom, correct copies, plan ahead for photocopying, stay behind and sanitise at end of day when possible, Give tests and correct Them quickly in case of another lockdown. I’m really feeling not able.

I’ve come home the last week and feel so behind on things. I know I’ll spend tomorrow and Sunday trying to prepare. I haven’t been for a walk in the evening in weeks and I’m constantly tired. My legs this evening gave up and I had to sit down to teach class. Sorry for rant.

I have MS, so can’t stand for long periods. Standing doesn’t make you better as a teacher , you can do as well perching on a stool or as I do , scooting around with my visor and mask on a chair with wheels .

Our entire staff are wrecked . It’s just so , so hard to keep the “ bright side out “ for the children and comply as best we can with hand washing etc .

Interestingly enough , one of the school managerial bodies , the CPSMA has told schools to send a week’s worth of work home with students ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I have MS, so can’t stand for long periods. Standing doesn’t make you better as a teacher , you can do as well perching on a stool or as I do , scooting around with my visor and mask on a chair with wheels .

Our entire staff are wrecked . It’s just so , so hard to keep the “ bright side out “ for the children and comply as best we can with hand washing etc .

Interestingly enough , one of the school managerial bodies , the CPSMA has told schools to send a week’s worth of work home with students ASAP.

That’s interesting as my lads school sent a message saying all books would be sent home next week before mid term just in case ..........

Still no sign of remote /blended learning guidelines for secondary schools ? Next Friday night read out by Emma O kelly on six one news it is so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

At what time was that sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Don’t give so many tests, you are making work for yourself. Go for a walk. Prioritise yourself. If it helps, think of it like this, if you’re burnt out, you’re no good to the students. So relax, recharge over the weekend. Do it for the students!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

At what time was that sent out?

Zoom meeting yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WorriedTeacher

I was listening to Matt Cooper on the Last Word yesterday. The Gov have claimed they’re increasing testing capacity and contact tracing. Yet in my OH’s school, they had a case in a class, neither pod, teacher or anyone in the class were deemed close contacts. Seriously how is this possible?

Children spend the entire day on top of each other and no amount of supervision/ correction can stop them. When they are in the yard they mix with everyone, very hands on. Keeping them in ‘pods’ inside and letting them loose outside doesn’t wash with me. In a class of 30, with little room for distancing, never mind young children’s understanding of what distancing is, surely....the pod...teacher ...and class would be deemed ‘close contacts’.

Increased testing me hole! sweep schools under the mat, nothing to see here lads, move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I've been following tui and asti communications and if I were a teacher I'd be reasonably pissed off. I'm not aware of any public service union rubber stamping DES and HSE policy documents and circulars as much as these two unions have been doing recently. You wouldn't think there was a pandemic by their reactions. Must be soul destroying for the members watching the union heads cosying up to department officials. However, if I were a union boss I might be eying up a future cushy number, it's a long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WorriedTeacher

Anyone else finding it difficult to stay on top of things?

We are lucky that we have a very technologically minded staff, we’ve had 2 in-school informal SeeSaw training sessions. I’ve spent my own personal time and money on up-skilling through online courses, in summer and since Sept.

After I put my babies to bed, most nights, I’ve been tinkering on SeeSaw, trying to ‘keep up’ with the rest.

I’ve had children self-isolating and spent hours uploading work for them at night when I so desperately need to hit the off switch, to get very little engagement and response from them after all the effort I put in for them. ( As a mammy, I can see the point of view that family life is busy, I understand some families have limited access to devices/internet but from the other side of the fence, huge effort goes into uploading online work, to get little response..)

I don’t know. It’s exhausting...that’s all I can say!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd say the Unions will have something to say about the continued presence of teachers at daily super spreader events.

I suspect the government are actually counting on this. That way if/when schools close it will be the teachers fault. The government did their absolute best but the lazy teachers with their short hours and long holidays were unwilling to do their bit for the poor deprived of an education children that only the government care about.

• Advertisement

Don’t give so many tests, you are making work for yourself. Go for a walk. Prioritise yourself. If it helps, think of it like this, if you’re burnt out, you’re no good to the students. So relax, recharge over the weekend. Do it for the students!

Term reports next week so tests were required. It’s not even just tests though it’s correcting their coursework takes me so long. Then having to look through the work they upload to classroom also - we were asked to get them to use google classroom for practice in case we end up at home again.
    Some days I find it hard to keep my eyes open on the drive home I’m that tired, but glad to know I’m no the only one finding it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Term reports next week so tests were required. It’s not even just tests though it’s correcting their coursework takes me so long. Then having to look through the work they upload to classroom also - we were asked to get them to use google classroom for practice in case we end up at home again.
    Some days I find it hard to keep my eyes open on the drive home I’m that tired, but glad to know I’m no the only one finding it hard.

Students are also submitting work on Google Classroom to us but we're not correcting it. A quick glance maybe and a check to see who didn't submit but I correct the homework as normal then in class. There is no way I'd teach all day and spend the evening correcting GC work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Anyone find that students and parents are querying class test results more and more + email requests for extra support on topics.

They seem certain that predictive grades (I still refuse to use the word calculated) are on the cards for June JC 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Treppen wrote: »
    Anyone find that students and parents are querying class test results more and more + email requests for extra support on topics.

They seem certain that predictive grades (I still refuse to use the word calculated) are on the cards for June JC 2021.

Very likely imo. If they do sit exams next year, it will have to be a very easy exam because they are far more disadvantaged than last year's cohort already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Treppen wrote: »

There was alot of reassurance given that no student would fall behind and that supports would be there when schools returned.

I think people are nervous particularly for exam years that we will all be told the exams will go ahead but last minute they wont and students will have missed out durning the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I wouldn't be too worried about the exams not going ahead.

The exams are a safer setup. Less people, no movement, plus you'd hope to see a decline in numbers by then.

Christmas tests, mocks etc, they can all go ahead. Add the debacle from this year and it would want to be armageddon before they would even consider cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I've an LC in the house and it's horrendous the amount of pressure being put on them for tests by a few teachers, one subject has it's third test within 2 weeks planned for during class time this week.

Apart from the student pressure and the teacher workload, I don't think it's fair to keep testing them. Surely teaching them is more of a priority if one thinks another school closure is possible.

Im a bit surprised the way this thread is going? Nothing had indicated schools will close ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Im a bit surprised the way this thread is going? Nothing had indicated schools will close ?!
    It's not at all clear for anyway. Even at Level 5 that may not happen. With the school break just around the corner, I don't think there'll be any major decisions on it for now.

• Advertisement

If they wanted to keep teachers on board then a meeting should be held asap with Asti. There is a ballot out there as it is that could be swung by the outcome of this.
    Personally I'd buy an extra week at mid term.
    Some acknowledgement that you can't just circle out one group of workers and say tough ****.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement