Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I guess that didn't happen then.

It did, the other school in the town I work in had one, took about 2.5 hours, walked through the building, checked sanitizer etc, spoke to 5/6 staff and a few students apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hello2020

Is it possible for parents to keep kids home till daily cases come down?
    what acceptable reason can we provide to the school for not sending kids as schools feels so unsafe at the moment (junior infants so no masks possible)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

hello2020 wrote: »
    what acceptable reason can we provide to the school for not sending kids as schools feels so unsafe at the moment (junior infants so no masks possible)

I think you should discuss with the school principal who might be able to reassure you. I think at that age very little risk of the child even getting symptoms.
    In the end very little a school can do about you keeping a child at home. You won't get a visit from a social worker. We don't even have enough of those to visit child abuse cases let alone a cautious parent of a small child..
    But I would encourage you to talk to the school principal first

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hello2020

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I think you should discuss with the school principal who might be able to reassure you. I think at that age very little risk of the child even getting symptoms.
    In the end very little a school can do about you keeping a child at home. You won't get a visit from a social worker. We don't even have enough of those to visit child abuse cases let alone a cautious parent of a small child..
    But I would encourage you to talk to the school principal first

thanks. i am going to call school today. we are worried about kids passing it to us. God forbid, if parents get sick and have to isolate, who will take care of small kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

hello2020 wrote: »

You are within your rights to keep your child home. Have you a year to play around with? A neighbour of ours has removed her JI child from school and re-enrolled her for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Legally, children under 6 do not have to be at school. so no issues there. but I'd chat to your principal, in any case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bobtheman wrote: »
    But they can become quite ill and can also pass it as easily as older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Considering all the talk of schools, particularly Kerry, Claremorris, etc

I think people are beginning to see through the cracks of the DES in relation to schools.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Considering all the talk of schools, particularly Kerry, Clairemorris, etc

I think people are beginning to see through the cracks of the DES in relation to schools.

It will all be forgotten by the time we return on Jan 6th to pick up the pieces after Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Considering all the talk of schools, particularly Kerry, Clairemorris, etc

Those who have been clued in since the start are aware, actually have always been aware of the cracks. Those who argue against everything related to Covid and schools will continue to say nothing to see here.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    It will all be forgotten by the time we return on Jan 6th to pick up the pieces after Xmas

If current trends continue, January will be an absolute nightmare.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

It will, and just like Halloween it will be blamed on people mixing,but to be fair, this Xmas is lining up to be a ****show in terms of people mixing. The timing and strategy of the dept was all wrong.

Refusing to allow schools an option to go half and half meant we always had 300 cases bubbling away, ready to explode when society opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Gonna be alot of disruption after school with pods, whole class, whole year groups missing time. The six weeks to the February midterm are gonna be an absolute sh1tshow in terms of trying to keep schools functioning properly. No amount of sticking the head in the sand will change that fact

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

January will be a car crash. Mocks due to begin in the first week or two in February.

Out of the frying pan... :rolleyes:

January will be a car crash. Mocks due to begin in the first week or two in February.

Out of the frying pan... :rolleyes:

Not quite sure how schools can possibly run mocks when the state exams wouldn’t run in such circumstances and there wouldn’t be other classes running and students to be supervised on site at the same time
    Madness

Normally mocks would involve lots of room changes in schools too. Not sure how that can work this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Can’t say I’m surprised to see numbers on the up! As soon as society started to socialize and circulate again we were bound to see numbers rise. People have forgotten we should still be limiting our contacts.

Town is packed, people on wait lists for restaurants! Salons booming and while it’s good for business it’s also great for virus spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

jrosen wrote: »
    Can’t say I’m surprised to see numbers on the up! As soon as society started to socialize and circulate again we were bound to see numbers rise. People have forgotten we should still be limiting our contacts.

Town is packed, people on wait lists for restaurants! Salons booming and while it’s good for business it’s also great for virus spreading.

I know several people who have just given up.
    The have decided. 3 kids in different classes in school, each in a room with 29 others every day.
    Well if thats safe, surely we can walk around the town and visit the family again.
    NPHET and the HSE dropped the ball with their secrecy around schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I know several people who have just given up.
    The have decided. 3 kids in different classes in school, each in a room with 29 others every day.
    Well if thats safe, surely we can walk around the town and visit the family again.
    NPHET and the HSE dropped the ball with their secrecy around schools.

So their kids are in a high risk situation for infection and their response is to put others at risk? Wow. Excellent logic. And no one has ever been prevented from walking around town.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    So their kids are in a high risk situation for infection and their response is to put others at risk? Wow. Excellent logic. And no one has ever been prevented from walking around town.

I asked this and their logic is. The virus doesnt spread in schools with them being all day in the same room as 30 people 1m apart. If they go out and have casual contact over 2m from others, then thats far safer.

I asked this and their logic is. The virus doesnt spread in schools with them being all day in the same room as 30 people 1m apart. If they go out and have casual contact over 2m from others, then thats far safer.

But it does spread in school. The point is that infected kids are infecting other kids who infect their families, who, if they dont follow the guidelines, will infect others, who will infect their kids and round and round it goes, till eventually it reaches an older/vulnerable person and its goodnight Vienna. If you want your kids to continue in their education then you've got to make sacrifices. Walking around with a mask at 2 metres distance has never been prohibited, so I dont really know what these people you refer to are on about.

• Advertisement

But it does spread in school. The point is that infected kids are infecting other kids who infect their families, who, if they dont follow the guidelines, will infect others, who will infect their kids and round and round it goes, till eventually it reaches an older/vulnerable person and its goodnight Vienna. If you want your kids to continue in their education then you've got to make sacrifices. Walking around with a mask at 2 metres distance has never been prohibited, so I dont really know what these people you refer to are on about.

It doesnt spread in schools. Ask NPHET, the HSE and DES.
    These people are not afraid of going closer than 2M from others if it happens.
    They dont mind letting their kids out to play with other kids.
    I play it a bit safer than that myself, but thats the message they have been given.

It doesnt spread in schools. Ask NPHET, the HSE and DES.
    These people are not afraid of going closer than 2M from others if it happens.
    They dont mind letting their kids out to play with other kids.
    I play it a bit safer than that myself, but thats the message they have been given.

No, that's the message they are taking, for their own selfish reasons.

No, that's the message they are taking, for their own selfish reasons.

I'll tell them you dont approve.

I'll tell them you dont approve.

I doubt they give a sh1t, some people are just too thick to understand how the virus spreads, that's hardly their fault. Sadly, we dont have a vaccine for stupid.

I doubt they give a sh1t, some people are just too thick to understand how the virus spreads, that's hardly their fault. Sadly, we dont have a vaccine for stupid.

You are very abusive to people you dont even know.
    :rolleyes:

You are very abusive to people you dont even know.
    :rolleyes:

It does seem that some people simply aren't able to understand what the restrictions are for. If they did they wouldn't behave the way they do. Either they arent able to understand or they are, but dont care which leads one to draw a different conclusion about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

It does seem that some people simply aren't able to understand what the restrictions are for. If they did they wouldn't behave the way they do. Either they arent able to understand or they are, but dont care which leads one to draw a different conclusion about them.

Another big problem is that there are large amounts of people who:
    (a) don't know anyone who has got covid
    (b) know someone who got it and recovered without issue
    (c) know (of) an elderly person who got it and passed away and they consider this to be unavoidable with this virus.

Personally, I think very few people don't understand the restrictions. They all understood back in March. The mixed messaging this week particularly has been a complete headwreck for anyone who works in a crowded setting such as education. 'Limit your contacts' but off you all go to schools housing hundreds of non-masked kids for hours a day. It's galling.

Your point about people not caring anymore is more accurate IMO. There was a really interesting Ask Me Anything thread with a consultant on Boards back in the earlier months of lockdown and he predicted this societal reaction exactly. I wish he'd post again, I would absolutely love to know what he thinks of the schools situation.

Nearly 600 cases today
    And that’s before the upcoming week of madness

Nearly 600 cases today

I was expecting this around 29-30th. Not this early or quickly. It's very worrying.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Nearly 600 cases today

Yep, every chance we'll be back up to 1,500 before the New Year.

When do ye reckon we'll get definite news of the exams going ahead or not? March? April?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement