Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Unscheduled cabinet meeting tomorrow. Things must be bad. As others have pointed out surely now is the time to send as many people as possible into schools as transmission does not happen there...
    Maybe it’s just me but I find the reluctance to even consider closing the schools surreal. I know the Minister is basking in the glow of high praise from the Indo and Times but surely an acknowledgement that if a certain threshold is reached consideration might be given to closing them. What will it take if a pandemic doesn’t work? Zombies? Zombies with Covid?

Sure the news at one on RTE radio one told us yesterday that the number is 2500. This was told to a reporter by some ministers. So there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I don’t think anyone at anytime has said transmission does not happen in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Oh schools will open, how many kids will be in them tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Sure the news at one on RTE radio one told us yesterday that the number is 2500. This was told to a reporter by some ministers. So there you have it.

So, there seems to be a Threshold then. Good to know.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So, there seems to be a Threshold then. Good to know.

I suspect it was a number picked out of thin air to get rid of a reporter. Nothing official about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Covid calculator here. https://indoor-covid-safety.herokuapp.com/

This basically shows that schools can remain open based on safely practicing air circulation and masks... 50 people in a room for 7 hours is fine.

Listen to this podcast if you want to here the logic
    [Radiolab] A Terrible Covid Christmas Special #radiolab
    https://podcastaddict.com/episode/116910702 via @PodcastAddict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

yankinlk wrote: »

This basically shows that schools can remain open based on safely practicing air circulation and masks... 50 people in a room for 7 hours is fine.

Interesting tool. Try switching away from the surgical masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭lulublue22

yankinlk wrote: »

What about 30 in a room no masks. Anyway to check that ?

Anyway to check the efficiency of air circulation generated by leaving windows open ? It would be good to know how many windows and or what combination of open windows generate sufficient air circulation without freezing everyone.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It will be harder to leave windows open with the temperature dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jrosen wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone at anytime has said transmission does not happen in school.

They've as good as said that when cases are always put down as community transmission rather than school transmission. The notion that it's possible to catch covid anywhere in the country but you walk through the doors of a school and magically you can't catch it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

lulublue22 wrote: »
    What about 30 in a room no masks. Anyway to check that ?

Anyway to check the efficiency of air circulation generated by leaving windows open ? It would be good to know how many windows and or what combination of open windows generate sufficient air circulation without freezing everyone.

500 square feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

I suspect it was a number picked out of thin air to get rid of a reporter. Nothing official about it.

Yeah, it'd be interesting to hear what the question was and the precise context. Can't imagine any Minister would stand over that. I will be surprised if we don't pass 2,500 per day with some comfort very soon. So that will be tested.

There is no excuse for closing schools if they believe they are safer than home. If they close schools it suggests they were lying when they said this.

I'd say they'll be kept open by hook or by crook....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rosita wrote: »
    Yeah, it'd be interesting to hear what the question was and the precise context. Can't imagine any Minister would stand over that. I will be surprised if we don't pass 2,500 per day with some comfort very soon. So that will be tested.

There is no excuse for closing schools if they believe they are safer than home. If they close schools it suggests they were lying when they said this.

I'd say they'll be kept open by hook or by crook....

I’d they are anyway sensible they will at least refuse the numbers of students coming in every day
    Blended learning .....

km79 wrote: »
    I’d they are anyway sensible they will at least refuse the numbers of students coming in every day
    Blended learning .....

I said it last week, only exam classes in at second level. That will be what happens for a few weeks.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm not sure how schools are safer than homes? Can people explain that to me?!

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'm not sure how schools are safer than homes? Can people explain that to me?!

I think that the reasoning behind this is that there is structure in schools and kids are not running around unsupervised eg roaming around Estates or hanging around town.

That said our own kids are much safer in our home than at school from a virus/contagion point of view as we don't allow them out unsupervised during a pandemic. They go to school and come home. And exercise with one of us. That's it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I think that the reasoning behind this is that there is structure in schools and kids are not running around unsupervised eg roaming around Estates or hanging around town.

That said our own kids are much safer in our home than at school from a virus/contagion point of view as we don't allow them out unsupervised during a pandemic. They go to school and come home. And exercise with one of us. That's it at the moment.

During the lockdown in MArch to June I saw very few kids out roaming. I am sure there are areas this occurs but it was very minute numbers where I am. I reckon people knew the seriousness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

khalessi wrote: »
    During the lockdown in MArch to June I saw very few kids out roaming. I am sure there are areas this occurs but it was very minute numbers where I am. I reckon people knew the seriousness of it.

There all mixing as it is. Very obvious from the tik toks students are posting over last month that they are having great parties. Can’t say I blame them particularly when teachers are having house parties too. If we go blended learning I can assure you groups such as TYs will all be out mixing. V hard to keep them occupied in house all day and parents at work.

Will be interesting to see if applications for exam superintendents come soon. Looking doubtful for orals/practicals at moment.

Teach30 wrote: »
    There all mixing as it is. Very obvious from the tik toks students are posting over last month that they are having great parties. Can’t say I blame them particularly when teachers are having house parties too. If we go blended learning I can assure you groups such as TYs will all be out mixing. V hard to keep them occupied in house all day and parents at work.

Will be interesting to see if applications for exam superintendents come soon. Looking doubtful for orals/practicals at moment.

Where is the evidence is these teachers having parties? Honestly can say none of my teacher friends have hosted any or attended any.

khalessi wrote: »

Me neither but I wouldn't actually see them much from our house.

I also don't like the blanket "kids are all mixing anyway " outside of school statements. Some may well be but some are not. Neither of our kids are and none of their close friends are either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Where is the evidence is these teachers having parties? Honestly can say none of my teacher friends have hosted any or attended any.

I’ve been invited to a few! Similarly adults living around me having Christmas gatherings. I haven’t left my house in a week. No interest in attending.

I fully understand not all students are having parties but definitely ours are I’ve seen the videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I said it last week, only exam classes in at second level. That will be what happens for a few weeks.

And what will the other teachers do during that time?

Will Yam wrote: »
    And what will the other teachers do during that time?

Teach to their timetable, what else would they be doing? All about reducing capacity in the building. Primary will be as per usual but wearing of masks from 4th up wouldn't surprise me. That would be partially following what WHO recommended since August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

They have ignored masks for primary so far, and I don't see it changing.

Teach to their timetable, what else would they be doing? All about reducing capacity in the building. Primary will be as per usual but wearing of masks from 4th up wouldn't surprise me. That would be partially following what WHO recommended since August.

Please explain.

Does this mean only exam (Jc + LC) physically in class?

And everyone in at primary but 4th class up wearing masks?

And all other classes delivered by zoom, from school or teachers homes?

And all other classes delivered by zoom, from school or teachers homes?

Well classes can hardly be delivered from home if the teachers are in school can they. Willy you really do need to work harder to keep up.

As in what will be happening in England unless they relent to what SAGE want and actually put all schools online.

Well classes can hardly be delivered from home if the teachers are in school can they. You really do need to work harder to keep up.

The teachers who don’t have exam classes?

If you spent less time slithering around answers being evasive it would be helpful.

The teachers who don’t have exam classes?

If you spent less time slithering around answers being evasive it would be helpful.

How am I being evasive?

Does it really matter where those teachers are once lessons are being delivered?

Don't tell me you are one of those people who want teachers put on the PUP unless they are in the school building?

Anyway I don't believe anything I have said will come to pass unless the parents kick up a stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭combat14

almost 3100 cases on island today so not too far off it

• Advertisement

How am I being evasive?

Does it really matter where those teachers are once lessons are being delivered?

Don't tell me you are one of those people who want teachers put on the PUP unless they are in the school building?

Anyway I don't believe anything I have said will come to pass unless the parents kick up a stink.

Why is it so difficult to give a clear answer? It’s a straight question, and whether I believe anybody should be on pup or not is irrelevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement